Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just brought home a slightly used 2019 Fully Loaded RS and I have the following questions:

1. All of the vehicle safety systems are turned on (I have the ProActive package) and when we start the car, the car icon in the upper left of the screen to the left of the speedo has everything grayed out. If I hit the steering wheel button safety systems icon they all turn GREEN. Why does it not start with GREEN when the vehicle is turned on? What am I missing? All of the systems are turned on in the touchscreen settings too.

2. The SOS Telematics button does not illuminate and pressing it does nothing. Contacted the dealer and they said it may need a new Telematics unit

Taking it in next Friday as I'll be traveling all week on business but interested in everyone's thoughts on the safety suite issue and if anyone has had issues with the SOS button. Vehicle was a CPO with only 811 miles and was owned by Infiniti and driven by an Executive in CA for 2 months before turning it in.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
1) That is standard for the car. You do have to press the steering wheel button each time. You'll get used to doing it - no problem.

2) I'll let someone else answer that, as I've never used it.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) That is standard for the car. You do have to press the steering wheel button each time. You'll get used to doing it - no problem.

2) I'll let someone else answer that, as I've never used it.
Thanks @selzini...why would they not default it to ON every time you start the car? Maybe I am missing something...

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Thanks @selzini...why would they not default it to ON every time you start the car? Maybe I am missing something...
The safety systems are off when the car is started so that you know when they are activated because you've deliberately turned them on. It seems counter-intuitive but that's how Infiniti and other car manufacturers do it from what I've seen. Same goes for your drive mode switch. The car will always start up in standard mode regardless of what you set it to before it was turned off. It is an EPA requirement that the car start up in the mode it was tested in when the EPA city and highway mpg ratings were determined.

As far as your SOS phone capability, did you activate your Infiniti InTouch Services account yet? I think that needs to be done before you can use that feature.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Avedis53...interesting in that my 2 Subaru's, my 2019 Acura RDX and my 2019 Ram Limited all come on automatically so not used to hitting a button to turn them on but I guess it is what it is so thank you all for confirming.

As far as the SOS, the lights on the button do not even illuminate. I tried to activate my account but my account is still under Infiniti Corporate as this car was in their Corporate Fleet so they have to change ownership and said that would be done on Monday. However, she stated the button should still light up so she thinks I have an issue with my Telematics Controller...brand new car and already an issue with electronics:( Maybe just a fuse? I'll let the dealer figure it out on Friday when I get back from Denver.

As a side note, does anyone know how I can respond to a text message after I read it? Says in the book I should get the option to reply and send but I don't get that screen. Learning as much as I can as fast as I can but finding inconsistencies in what the book says and what the car will do.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Because you don't want to constantly fight that lane departure prevention by default. No thanks. I only activate it when appropriate. I'll toggle it on and off on the freeways as needed. Your forward braking assist (FBA) is still active.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
...As a side note, does anyone know how I can respond to a text message after I read it? Says in the book I should get the option to reply and send but I don't get that screen. Learning as much as I can as fast as I can but finding inconsistencies in what the book says and what the car will do.

Thanks again guys!
Do you have an iPhone? That feature is not supported by Apple. I support thier stance. Just drive. Or do what my son does. Sets up an auto reply when he is driving. Something like "I'll get back to you..."

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Do you have an iPhone? That feature is not supported by Apple. I support thier stance. Just drive. Or do what my son does. Sets up an auto reply when he is driving. Something like "I'll get back to you..."
Mine says: Pi$$ off, I don't want to interact with you regardless of what you are offering me.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
That's my understanding also. Apple does not allow third party apps to send SMS/iMessage texts.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do and that's what I figured it must be but couldn't hurt to check. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine says: Pi$$ off, I don't want to interact with you regardless of what you are offering me.
Thanks for the laugh...just what I needed before I hop on a plane headed to San Antonio for the week:D

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Since I'm android while moving I can send a few limited replys to text messages like: driving can't text, Okay, Call me, etc.. The system will "text to voice" text messages, but will not display them. So a garbled unrecognizable text to voice message is heard. Now IF you could glance at the text it could be easy to understand and no more distracting than replaying it a few times and still not understanding it.

So a motion lock out is the answer. I can easily fool my infotainment system to thinking I'm stopped and can read the text. Eliminating the distraction caused by blocking the text of the text (lol).
All other blocked functionality is restored too. Letting your passenger use full nav funtions etc.

For long trips the lockout bypass is a really good thing to have.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I can read or have the InTouch system play the text while the car is in motion. I'm not interested in texting back regardless of the fact that Apple doesn't allow it anyway. If the information in the text is important, I'll use the hands-free phone to call the sender, if not, I can wait until I'm parked.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I agree distracted driving is a real issue. Even just switching from climate to audio, Home screen, fan hard buttons, etc. causes some distraction. I have learned not to fiddle with any of this unless it's safe.

A passenger is the best. I let them do it.. I can talk them though the menus. Easy shmesy. The motion lock out lets my passenger have full functionality. A lot safer than pulling into the breakdown lane!

On long trips I like to have a "navigator". I drive 1200 miles to my vacation home most every year. Since i don't have a navigator planned for this year I may not go, or take an extra day.
Having a good passenger to keep you company is the safest way to drive long distance. Helps keep you awake, not miss turns, and use the smartphone and infotainment systems. An extra set of eyes is VERY helpful!

Well worth the price of the extra hotel room.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
If only my wife could operate anything more complicated than a coffee maker, she'd be great as a navigator in this car. Sadly, her bed stand clock radio is still flashing "12:00".

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
😂🤣 I get it! At least she can keep you awake!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
If only my wife could operate anything more complicated than a coffee maker, she'd be great as a navigator in this car. Sadly, her bed stand clock radio is still flashing "12:00".
so is the coffee machine also flashing "12:00".LOL.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My wife is my navigator - a good one, too.

I mentioned this thread to her, and she brings up the long ago days of traveling with paper maps - "Remember when you used to throw the paper map at me say 'Tell me what exit I need...'".

Yes, guilty as charged.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
so is the coffee machine also flashing "12:00".LOL.
I don't drink coffee so I have no interaction with the coffee machine, so it's all on her. As a matter of fact, as I'm looking at it now, it's flashing 12:00 also.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My wife is my navigator - a good one, too.

I mentioned this thread to her, and she brings up the long ago days of traveling with paper maps - "Remember when you used to throw the paper map at me say 'Tell me what exit I need...'".

Yes, guilty as charged.
I always stated: "North is on top!" :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts