Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1:
Prep work to install the following - AMS/Infiniti heat exchanger, aux tank and expansion tank, Z1 silicone hose kit, Z1 oil cooler, Z1 oil catch can kit, Z1 undershroud, Z1 brake cylinder brace, and Z1 coils.

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Vehicle Tire Car Automotive lighting Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Tire

Shipping box Wood Flooring Floor Material property

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

I got tired when the sun went down and had to take the dog for a walk 馃槄 Will "probably" finish it all up tomorrow.

Super Moderator
Did you source/borrow an airlift tool to bleed the IC coolant?

Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
That's great Nick. Good luck, have fun, stay safe. Looking forward to your finished pics!

Reactions: n1ck!

Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
What is the purpose of the brake cylinder brace? Didn't know there was an issue that it needed a brace.

Registered
What is the purpose of the brake cylinder brace? Didn't know there was an issue that it needed a brace.
Reduce flex of the cylinder during hard braking to improve brake feel.

don鈥檛 forget the during pics!(y)

Reactions: n1ck! and Jibricb

Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 2:

Still not finished. There were many expletives from the silicone hose and spilt coolant. For those of you thinking of doing the same thing, some lessons learned:
  1. when you think you're done draining, YOU"RE NOT...keep going from ALL the low points
  2. if you're doing the oil catch can from Z1, install it while the driver's side intercooler is off
  3. before you start putting everything together, make sure you close out or review the ENTIRE procedure BEFORE moving onto the next install (for example, I thought I was done with the driver's side intercooler after I put in the coils; put it back together, only to have to remove it again for the oil catch can install [see step 2])
  4. when they say be careful putting in the AMS/Infiniti heat exchanger THEY MEAN IT; don't want to damage any of the cooling fins on either the HX or the radiator
  5. STAY ORGANIZED
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Looks can be deceiving; we'll see once it's all tuned up.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

HX installed.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue Hood Automotive design

HX removed
Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Nissan saw it so fit to have a wiring harness right above the coil pack. Had to do some removal of the surrounding harnesses to get it out.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Headgear Font Art

Z1 coil packs installed
Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Automotive air manifold Auto part

Driver's side intercooler removed. Now would have been a good time to start routing the hoses for the oil catch can.
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Oil catch can hose routing.
Automotive tire White Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

So if you're looking to install the Z1 hose kit, be prepared for this hose clamp. It was easy for me to access since the bumper and right headlight were removed.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

Oil catch can installed.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive design Hood

Here's a portion of the harness I was talking about for the passenger side coil. Wasted too much time removing it.

Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 2 (continued):
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface Line Asphalt

Figured I would snap a picture of the intercooler with hoses installed. I'm thinking of using better couplings eventually, just to clean up the look.
Blue Azure Wood Rectangle Automotive tire

I think it's safe to say that you get your money's worth in regards to cooling capacity.

Day 3 will entail finishing up the aux tank install, oil cooler install, and then bleeding the system. I have to buy two more gallons of coolant from Nissan. Total system capacity with the HX, expansion tanks, and aux tanks jumped up to a whopping 2.7gal.

Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's really more for pedal feel, but the only "quantiative" analysis I know of is visual....you can actually see the brake master cylinder flex by several millimeters under pressure. I have one on my G35 that I regularly took to the track and coupled with SS brake lines, takes almost all the slop out of the pedal. Really gives you the ability to modulate brake pressure. But again, that's just me.....

I'll post some pictures of it on day 3.

Registered
p.s. - my hands and arms are bloody and sore 馃槄
I bet! I got scratched up just doing fuel and EWG wires! Looking good though!!

Reactions: ptatohed

Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
Thanks for the updates! Looking good. I was confused though about the part of needing the intercooler removed to install a catch can?

Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the updates! Looking good. I was confused though about the part of needing the intercooler removed to install a catch can?
Yes, I know it sounds weird, but it needs to be removed to access the PCV ports to route the feed and return lines.

Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
Yes, I know it sounds weird, but it needs to be removed to access the PCV ports to route the feed and return lines.
Oh. Is this a 3 port OCC?

Super Moderator
I'll admit the Mishimoto OCC is less stealthy, but it certainly takes fewer & simpler steps to install then the Z1 OCC.

Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll admit the Mishimoto OCC is less stealthy, but it certainly takes fewer & simpler steps to install then the Z1 OCC.
I will take more pictures as I put everything back together. But the Z1 site also has plenty for reference.

Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Day 3:

The saga continues.....

Some good news though. Most of everything is installed and I was able to start her up today. Happy to say that there are no leaks, no CELs, , no overheating condition, no funny noises. I'll let her cool down and let the fluids settle before I recheck levels in the morning. I'm beat.

Things left to do - Z1 undershroud, master cylinder brace, plastic trim pieces, fender liner, and clean-up.

Several test drives to verify operation and levels close to home before venturing out into the real world.

Total coolant used - 3.5gal; total oil 6qts (with room to spare, about halfway between L and H); total blood loss approximately 2 FL oz. These values may change after some initial runs tomorrow. But the air lift worked pretty well so (fingers crossed) I might be good to go.

More lessons learned:
  1. Follow the procedure. Yes, I know a lot of you are engineers, master mechanics, and NASCAR/F1/WRC racers, BUT really, the directions are there for a reason. They may have included stuff that you haven't thought of or may have missed.
  2. The positioning of the oil cooler sandwich plate was a pain and time consuming. Not only are the hoses difficult to work with, you really have to get creative with your spatial ability to make it work. The one fitting choice didn't help either.
  3. Putting on those plastic pieces sucks, but is necessary for airflow. Unfortunately, you won't/can't use all of them again.
  4. STAY ORGANIZED AND CLEAN
  5. The Infiniti/AMS expansion tank is stupid. I'm serious, it's dumb. There's no window (I'm an idiot for not knowing before I installed it). How do you check level? By opening the cap, and sticking a stick inside until you get to the bottom. Then measure two inches from the top. Sure, fine and dandy once you get the level set, but not when you're expecting it to change. I'm just going to eyeball it, I'm not sticking a stick in there (you're not the boss of me AMS)
  6. The Infiniti/AMS auxiliary tank is HUGE
  7. When you think you're done and everything is connected, YOU'RE NOT. Check again. Then take a break for 15-30 minutes. THEN CHECK AGAIN.
  8. When ordering a large amount, do an inventory and separate things out. I seriously thought some parts were missing from the oil cooler. Turns out they were just in a different box.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Stock oil cooler adaptor is off. Yes, that's a Nismo magnetic drain plug. Yes, it's also useless, but at least it looks nice, you know for all those people who are going to go under the car and look.......

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread

Stock oil cooler and all pieces-parts.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

There's a bracket you have to remove for the oil cooler hoses. Get your wobble extensions ready.....

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Oil cooler line hose routing. I'm glad I had as much out as I did. Even had to remove the passenger side horn.

Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

That's how you get the bracket out.....

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Picture frame Grille

Oil cooler installed

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

Front crash beam going back on.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

It's a tight fit, but thankfully the people at Z1 made all the brackets with a great amount of adjustability.

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Oil cooler hose routing into the engine bay

Input device Sunglasses Office equipment Laptop Eyewear

DON'T FORGET TO LUBE UP YOUR O-RINGS

Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Day 3 (continued):

Automotive fuel system Black Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar

This is how you need to orient the hoses onto the sandwich plate. Get ready for expletives....

Pattern Monochrome photography Metal Monochrome Auto part

All of this just to torque the sandwich plate stud.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Another angle of hose orientation

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Just like the instructions!

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Yup, you'll have to cut that plastic thing. It's easy to do with a utility knife.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

All hoses installed and cinched down

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Motor vehicle

By the time I got to bleeding the system, it was late and my other set of hands (aka my wife) had gone missing. So I had to get creative. Don't judge me.....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts