Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That’s awesome the wife helped you with all that! I got mine to help me swap my taillights, but I doubt I’ll ever get her under the hood. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: n1ck!

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That’s awesome the wife helped you with all that! I got mine to help me swap my taillights, but I doubt I’ll ever get her under the hood. Lol
Haha! No, she didn't help at all! She wants nothing to do with the garage 😅 If I do ask for help, it's more "chaos" than "help." :censored:

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
That's frickin gnarly. Great job, thanks for the pics and updates!

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
Nice write-up and pics @n1ck!

If oil temps are a continuing concern, another option would be the Dropbear LLC Aluminum oil pan for your RWD VR30. It adds another quart of oil capacity, and will not interfere with the undershroud. It also has better baffling to prevent oil pickup issues under high-G maneuvers (I recently ordered one for my AWD).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Great write up Nick! Thanks for all of the detailed photos and explanation on hose routing for the oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

If oil temps are a continuing concern, another option would be the Dropbear LLC Aluminum oil pan for your RWD VR30. It adds another quart of oil capacity, and will not interfere with the undershroud. It also has better baffling to prevent oil pickup issues under high-G maneuvers (I recently ordered one for my AWD).
Unfortunately, I don't have an oil temp gage or pressure gage on this car. That may be a project for another day. Honestly, my only concern with temperatures were for those days sitting in traffic. I don't drive at 10/10ths on the daily even in my Tommi Makinen times in the twisties. That being said, I may do the Z1 oil pan in a future oil change since why not?

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

What I do experience at high cornering or hard acceleration is fuel cut. I brought it into the dealer to change my fuel pump because you know, free is always nice. It doesn't happened as often now, but it still happens.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,871 Posts
What I do experience at high cornering or hard acceleration is fuel cut. I brought it into the dealer to change my fuel pump because you know, free is always nice. It doesn't happened as often now, but it still happens.
How much gas did you have in the tank when you experienced the fuel cut?

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Day 4: I'm done!

Good news is the car didn't blow up and I'm still alive. Drove 1.5 miles at 2k, 2.5k, and 3k RPM (0.5 miles each), which will be enough to trigger the aux pumps to kick on (they won't at idle, which is why CONSULT comes in handy). Next test is a 30 mile drive. Why 30? Because towing will be free 🤣

More pictures!

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt

It's pretty, just too bad it's underneath and will not be seen.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk

But this Iittle guy is the real reason behind this thing.

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Maybe I'll just leave her naked for a bit.

Hood Automotive design Naval architecture Building Bumper

Installed. Oh, and I hate rivet nuts.....

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Too bad the covers cover everything up!

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
How much gas did you have in the tank when you experienced the fuel cut?
The first time was about 1/4 tank, which should still be more than enough for both pick-ups and the small reservoir. Took a hard sweeping decreasing radius right (freeway entrance), and it just basically ran out of gas.

Also happened in straight line, again, about 1/4 tank. So I left it at a quarter so I could replicate it for the dealer. They replaced the pump. Then I filled up, and it had some it twice since then (two weeks since pump replacement).

I'll continue to observe and try to replicate when the roads are dry.

TCS was not actuated in either case and I was not at redline. I tried with both the RaceChip on and off.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nice work! I would’ve left the cover off lol

• Haha
Reactions: Salty79 and n1ck!

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Red Sport 400, Dynamic Sunstone Red with Gallery White Interior
57 Posts
Great write up and very informative! Thanks for being our guide through all the perils, but now you get to enjoy the hard work!

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
First stint at 30 miles was a-ok. Just prior, I checked levels and it was fine. Added 0.5qts of oil to take the level to 3/4 (to H). Also purged some air from both the intercooler reservoir and coolant reservoir. No air in the HX. Temperatures and levels were stable afterwards. RPMs did not exceed 3.5k. Will check levels again tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I wasn't able to install the brake master cylinder brake. I'll do that when I flush my brake lines, maybe this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Okay I lied, I just went ahead and installed it. Pretty uneventful. Took about 30 minutes because it was cramped. Pretty sturdy build and really does keep the master cylinder from flexing against the diaphragm.

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design

Hood Vehicle Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car

Hood Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
855 Posts
The first time was about 1/4 tank, which should still be more than enough for both pick-ups and the small reservoir. Took a hard sweeping decreasing radius right (freeway entrance), and it just basically ran out of gas.

Also happened in straight line, again, about 1/4 tank. So I left it at a quarter so I could replicate it for the dealer. They replaced the pump. Then I filled up, and it had some it twice since then (two weeks since pump replacement).
For what it is worth - fuel cuts at WOT happen on this car when your fuel tank is below 1/2 with disturbing regularity. Even with the AMS LPFP - I don’t feel confident in WOT pulls w/o a 3/4 full tank (nervous nelly.)

BTW - Hussain @ Racebox recommend to me an alternative LPFP that he says supports WOT pulls with a 1/4 tank. It sure looks over engineered and priced but hey - if it works…

Reactions: jodedor and n1ck!

·
Premium Member
21 Q50 Red Sport
285 Posts
@n1ck! amazing write-ups, pictures, and overall just an insane amount of detail - thanks for all your hard work and time! Enjoy that Q!

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
For what it is worth - fuel cuts at WOT happen on this car when your fuel tank is below 1/2 with disturbing regularity. Even with the AMS LPFP - I don’t feel confident in WOT pulls w/o a 3/4 full tank (nervous nelly.)

BTW - Hussain @ Racebox recommend to me an alternative LPFP that he says supports WOT pulls with a 1/4 tank. It sure looks over engineered and priced but hey - if it works…

I didn't know others experienced the same. It just started happening a couple of months ago, and I didn't do anything prior (I know hard to believe).

I'll do a search here in the forums and maybe add to another post or just put up something new altogether. It should also be noted that my fuel system is completely stock.

·
Premium Member
2018 Infiniti Q50S RWD
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

And you're right, that's just not a cost effective solution for me. I'm not paving on upgrading the fuel system until I source an engine for a complete build. But I'll save that for when I'm really bored, and when BTC goes back up 😅

21 - 40 of 68 Posts