·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,668 Posts

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,668 Posts
This is the first time I see this solution for our cars. Seems straight forward and simple after reading Z1 instructions. Good catch, I like people who take informed and thought out risks. Have you called them to let them know it worked on a Q50? Maybe if they advertirse it as a solution for Q50's more people will buy it.
it is a universal kit I am sure they are fully aware of its compatibilities.
it is common practice to install aftermarket LPFP on Z/G platform and running that off a relay kit (especially for the people who have fuel starvation issues) freeing up the factory fuel pump power wire letting you wire a secondary pump in the driver side easily off of that power wire.

On the Q platform wiring in a relay for the LPFP isn't a common practice since the factory wiring can handle the upgraded 450lph LPFP most people install.

So you would either A need to wire up the LPFP to a relay like mentioned above, or B wire the secondary pump to a relay having the relay trigger off something like a boost activation switch, similar to how a kenne-bell boost a pump triggers (see my sig). Either of these methods is pretty simple but it does add complexity/cost to install and is probably why Z1 doesn't mention other vehicles. but it is essentially a universal kit.

Also because feed line runs/routes back to the driver side this will add a level of difficulty to the install, but still doable.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,668 Posts
I tracked my G35 quite often and I don't recall ever having this issue of fuel starvation with it. But, now that I think of it, I don't think I would get down to less than half a tank (from full) after a whole day (not pushing a whole lot of power admittedly). I haven't looked at the fuel tank type or design for either car until just recently.
it is pretty common on G/Z to have fueling issues once you have a combination of FI, FBO/E85, sticky tires, aero etc... also not going under 50% obviously would help as well.

Once you upgrade fuel demand, fuel delivery, and have high G forces (longitudinal or lateral) it is pretty common.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
This is exactly why I love this forum! Thank you @17awdQ50P! Freaking brilliant!

Reactions: 17awdQ50P

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
From my previous post in another thread:

The Q50 gas tank is one of the more oddly shaped gas tanks I've seen. See below:

As you can see, it's essentially two tanks with a bridge that connects the two tanks and allows filling both sides with fuel.

The system is designed to empty the driver's side first but based on the eductor design, the fuel level on both sides is drawn down equally until then. From what I can see, there is little in the way of baffling on the bottom of either tank to minimize fuel sloshing around when the car is under hard acceleration.

So when the fuel level gets down to 1/3 of a tank, each side is roughly at half of that or 1/6 of a tank. I can see how under hard acceleration the fuel level at either the transfer tube suction or the suction on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly could momentarily drop below either suction. If the fuel flow is interrupted long enough to cause the fuel pump to starve, it could cause hesitation during hard acceleration.

I'd say a full tank is unnecessary extra weight if you're planning on WOT pulls, but 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank should be adequate to avoid fuel pump starvation and keep your weight down for better performance.
unless the fuel pump sits in a lowered "tub", fuel surge will happen.

First time it happened to me was in my WRX at some turn at Laguna Seca....right hander. Left handers were fine.

I had to add a surge tank.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
The Duke boys figured out how to solve this problem some 40 years ago.

Car Land vehicle Plant Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'm late to the thread but definitely found it very interesting and amusing. this is the sort of things that make a "forum". true enthusiast that's willing to not only invest money but time tinkering with car to make it his own. Kudos sir!!! good job!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts