Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my mom take my 2018 Q50 Red Sport to go get grocery’s today because her car is getting fixed from a car accident & she’s used to always pumping regular gas in her car so she forgot to put premium in mine & put a half tank of regular gas ... Should I be worried ??????

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
So I let my mom take my 2018 Q50 Red Sport to go get grocery’s today because her car is getting fixed from a car accident & she’s used to always pumping regular gas in her car so she forgot to put premium in mine & put a half tank of regular gas ... Should I be worried ??????
No. I'd avoid WOT and abrupt acceleration until you can put some premium in it. If she only put a half a tank of regular in, go put some premium in now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just like Avedis said, avoid the gas paddle for a bit, but youll be fine since its only once. If you fill up with regular at a consistent rate, then you might experience some issues down the line.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,837 Posts
Nothing HARMS a modern car which calls for Premium when given Regular. You just won't get maximum performance. You are fine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
With how modern the cars are now as said above, I believe the computer just adjusts and compensates but lay off the boost and drive like a granny till half tank is gone. Add some octane booster if worried

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just be gentle with the car until you burn through the tank. Worst case, it's probably at an octane between the two...that is all gas stations do to create mid-grade, is blend the lowest and premium octanes.

If everything is functioning correctly, the ECU should retard timing once it detects knock, etc. But try to avoid getting to that point to be on safe side as there is always a small delay (ie has to occur for computer to 'know').

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,136 Posts
10 gal of 89 + 10 gal of 93= 91

91 will be fine as that's "Premium" in CA

·
Registered
155 Posts
10 gal of 89 + 10 gal of 93= 91

91 will be fine as that's "Premium" in CA
Sounds like she put 'regular' in though, which is typically 87 (or lower, say high elevation where 85 exists)...but, if premium is indeed 93 where the OP is and it's a perfect 50% mix, then that would be ~90 octane and be close to 'premium' in other states, such as here in commiefornia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just like Avedis said, avoid the gas paddle for a bit, but youll be fine since its only once. If you fill up with regular at a consistent rate, then you might experience some issues down the line.
Sheesh not gonna lie I did do a few pulls on the way home after 😬 but that’s because I didn’t know she had put regular in until I got home & I had asked her because the thought came to me randomly when I was home , I hope that doesn’t cause any issues smh ... I will definitely lay of the pedal until I get that gas out but like JohninNH said & Avedis53 said Ima go fill the rest with premium but thanks for the reply bro I appreciate it .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just be gentle with the car until you burn through the tank. Worst case, it's probably at an octane between the two...that is all gas stations do to create mid-grade, is blend the lowest and premium octanes.

If everything is functioning correctly, the ECU should retard timing once it detects knock, etc. But try to avoid getting to that point to be on safe side as there is always a small delay (ie has to occur for computer to 'know').
Like I mentioned to @PandaQ50 i did to a few pulls on the way back home after but only because I wasn’t aware that she had filled with regular until I got home & I asked her because the thought came to me randomly, hopefully that doesn’t cause me any issues ! I’m gonna lay off the pedal for now & go fill up the rest with premium. Thanks for the reply bro I appreciate it .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With how modern the cars are now as said above, I believe the computer just adjusts and compensates but lay off the boost and drive like a granny till half tank is gone. Add some octane booster if worried
Thanks bro I appreciate it .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Simply. Go to the auto store. Auto zone etc and purchase a bottle of octane booster. This will compensate for the lesser grades gas

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Simply. Go to the auto store. Auto zone etc and purchase a bottle of octane booster. This will compensate for the lesser grades gas
Bad idea. The car will be fine.

Reactions: Avedis53

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
Any octane booster with ferrocine or MMT in it will cause deposition on plugs, valves and foul cats. Do not do this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Keep in mind too that the octane boosters clever [deceptive, really] marketing will claim to raise it "xx points"...well, by points they mean decimals [6 points = 0.6 octane]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts