Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So two days ago I was at a red light. I was tryna go into manual shifting but in reality I forgot that I didn’t. So when I got off the light and tried to change gears, I accidentally put it into nuerteal and the car just revd while I was going around 20 km per hour. Then I panicked and shifted right back into drive with out stopping. The car jerked forward and it was a weird feeling. Does that one mistake have a big affect on transmission? Car has been driving normal since then. But does that affect trans at all?

·
Registered
537 Posts
One time shouldn’t adversely negatively affect the transmission. No big deal.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
484 Posts
Happens from time to time! No worries...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,130 Posts
Agree with my two friends above. ^

·
Registered
2017 Q50 S Red Sport 400 RWD
55 Posts
So two days ago I was at a red light. I was tryna go into manual shifting but in reality I forgot that I didn’t. So when I got off the light and tried to change gears, I accidentally put it into nuerteal and the car just revd while I was going around 20 km per hour. Then I panicked and shifted right back into drive with out stopping. The car jerked forward and it was a weird feeling. Does that one mistake have a big affect on transmission? Car has been driving normal since then. But does that affect trans at all?
Hmmmm...I'm not the only one. Thanks. Made me feel better!! LOL

Reactions: sigedition3.0T

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmmmm...I'm not the only one. Thanks. Made me feel better!! LOL
My wife knocked my car into neutral with her knee on the freeway once. Scary for a second before I realized what happened, but the car was no worse for the wear.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,701 Posts
Back on the early 70's we thought it was fun to put my buddies Dad's Buick Sky Lark into neutral at 20 MPH, give it a bunch of gas, then drop it into drive. Yielding a nice chirp from the tires.

After a few times we thought it might not be all that good for the car, and quit the adolescent behavior.

I was 17 and in basic training at the time. We didn't believe we "hurt" the car as it drove just fine after. I'm sure had we continued, it would not have had a good outcome.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
I remember back as a teenager driving my dad's 63 Dodge Dart (slant-6) with a few buddies in the car. I thought I'd be cool and while backing up out of a long driveway, I just popped the clutch with some revs and the tranny made a horrible noise. I could only get into 2nd gear (three on the tree) and limped the car home. The tranny had to be rebuilt and needless to say it was some time before I was allowed to borrow his car again.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,305 Posts
I remember back as a teenager driving my dad's 63 Dodge Dart (slant-6) with a few buddies in the car. I thought I'd be cool and while backing up out of a long driveway, I just popped the clutch with some revs and the tranny made a horrible noise. I could only get into 2nd gear (three on the tree) and limped the car home. The tranny had to be rebuilt and needless to say it was some time before I was allowed to borrow his car again.
Now we know where your boys got it from.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,130 Posts
I think I have done a handful of neutral drops on some rental cars.

Reactions: adro and rpiotro

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When I was 16 I was driving my dad’s Monte Carlo with some guy and girl friends. It had a automatic column shifter and the grip spun. I was going downhill on the freeway, threw it in neutral and pretended to be throttling it like a motorcycle.

It slipped into reverse. My heart sunk and I cringed, waiting for all hell to break loose with the transmission and have it fall out on the freeway behind me.

There was just a clunk and the engine shut down. Whew!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My friend was driving his dads Corvette C4. His buddy was in front of him in his dads Camero. A bunch of kids were hanging at the park. His buddy revved it up and did a nice burnout. My buddy revved the ‘Vette, dropped into drive and dropped the rear end into the parking lot.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I've done that myself by mistake once or twice with my last two cars, there shouldn't be is any lasting damage so long as you get back into drive right away.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've done this... a bunch of times. Not proud.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
I find it interesting that some automatics allow you to nudge the shift lever from drive into neutral without pushing the shift lever button and some do not. By far more allow it than don't. It must not be a mandated safety feature in case of unintended acceleration, so why allow it?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I find it interesting that some automatics allow you to nudge the shift lever from drive into neutral without pushing the shift lever button and some do not. By far more allow it than don't. It must not be a mandated safety feature in case of unintended acceleration, so why allow it?
Um, in case of unintended acceleration? Or possibly some old diehards that still believe that by putting it in neutral going downhill is good for the engine. Allows the rod bearings to cool.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Um, in case of unintended acceleration?
That was a thing a lot of people believed at one time. I have always believed it to be operator error.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
That was a thing a lot of people believed at one time. I have always believed it to be operator error.
Almost certainly. I was involved in one of the earliest cases in the late 70s when a Shorewood matron put her Audi 5000 through the front of her garage. That started the national hoax. Unintended acceleration was never proven nor duplicated yet people started coming out of the woods and jumping on the bandwagon. VOA sent factory reps from New Jersey to inspect the car. Audi even had to change the model name to get over the stigma! It almost always was two a foot driver. This is not Formula 1.

So now I got myself fired up about two foot drivers. I have followed people for miles with their brake lights on. It scares the crap outta me when I am in a parking structure and I hear hear engine straining against the brakes. Very dangerous. Not in control.

Reactions: JohnInNH

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,701 Posts
2 foot drivers are a pet peeve of mine. Then they wonder why their brakes go bad. Or get rear ended.

It's a very bad habit and many feel it's the correct way to drive. Drivers road test should automatically flunk for it.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
I use two feet with my wheel and pedals on the Playstation.

Reactions: ptatohed
1 - 20 of 22 Posts