Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding a difference of about 3psi between the tpms on my new Q50 and 2 tire pressure gauges which are supposedly accurate to +/- .5 psi. The tpms is always lower. What reading do I believe???

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I'd believe the average of your fancy gauges. Then figure out the delta to the tpms. Figure the tpms will be consistent and I'll bet you can do the math in your head in the future.

Of note, Sunday I drove 150 miles each way for a dealer trade. On the way back, the car they gave me read 5psi higher all around. I could feel a difference in the ride.

Both were loaded sport hybrids.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
309 Posts
All tires available on the Q (both Gas and Hybrid) recommend 35psi.

It has been my experience that a cold tire sensor will read slightly off compared to my high end digital tire pressure gauge. They typically read slightly lower but will balance out once the actual sensor warms up...typically. I wish I had a magic answer as to why that was, unfortunately I do not have anything more than speculation and possibilities carried over from other forums and other discussions I have participated in over the years. One discussion I recall had someone say some of these sensors are made to read in kPa and something in the conversion algorithm causes a slight variance.

Personally I think a cold tire sensor would read slightly less than a tire gauge that is relatively warm, but I have no way to (fairly) prove that. Nor is it really worth the work to compensate for the variables.

Also as I am sure everyone here knows by now tire lights are very common at this time of year. I see it with almost every oil change I perform now, I typically set most car tires to 35 (2-3 psi above spec on older models to allow for normal contraction during cold mornings). I set them a little higher on my own cars to decrease my rolling resistance ever so slightly, of course at the sacrifice of some ride quality.

For 98% of owners this TPM system is something that never gets a second thought. I like that it brings attention to something that for years has been overlooked and neglected. It take a true enthusiast to set their pressure slightly higher to match the known good gauge. Kudos to those who do.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
It also shows in the VID (Vehicle Information Display) when you have the tire gauge. In the middle, you'll see 35.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Did you guys see that you can put your car in "fill-up tire mode", and it will honk at you once you've put enough air in each tire.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Did you guys see that you can put your car in "fill-up tire mode", and it will honk at you once you've put enough air in each tire.
Altima advertises that, but I've never seen that mentioned in any Infiniti ad. Where in the InTouch do you find the "fill-up tire mode?"

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Yes, mine shows 31 PSI in the morning. As i drive and the tires warm up, they eventually reach 34 PSI. That's what used to happen, until I filled 2PSI air in each tire.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
By the way, at the dealership yesterday, they told me that the Q50 also beeps when putting air in the tires(when it reaches the required air pressure). They said that it is also on the QX60 and QX80. I don't know that for sure, but they said it's automatic, and does not have to be set up. Again, I have no clue(after all, it IS technology.:D)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
By the way, at the dealership yesterday, they told me that the Q50 also beeps when putting air in the tires(when it reaches the required air pressure). They said that it is also on the QX60 and QX80. I don't know that for sure, but they said it's automatic, and does not have to be set up. Again, I have no clue(after all, it IS technology.:D)
yes, in touch you can setup for 'tire fill' and once the tire reaches 35psi, the car will blinks and beeps.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A bunch of us should give it a shot to know just how much the tpms is off by.
That is a good idea if it is to build a seasonal test thread.Also it would be interesting to hear from anyone that has Nitrogen filled tires.

When publishing your tire data please add time of day and temperature.

By the way, at the dealership yesterday, they told me that the Q50 also beeps when putting air in the tires(when it reaches the required air pressure).
- How it Works -

It seems like the example in the video would be ideal since the monitors are already awake and connection has been established, also the system is quick but not as fast as some tire inflators.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
So what tire pressure should we set the tires at? I know the manual states 35 PSI, but is it 35 PSI when the tires are cold, or when they are sufficiently warmed up and at proper operating temps?

Reason I asked is that when I first got the car, the tires were set at ~31 PSI when cold, and at operating temps the tires were at ~34 PSI. After i got the car back and had them lopok at the tire pressures, they are now set at 35PSI cold, and reach ~39-40 PSI at operating temps.

So which one is correct?

Edit - never mind - check page 8-29 of the owner's manual. It's cold tire pressure of 35 PSI.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I haven't checked with a manual gauge, but if the TPMS is correct, isn't the pressure a little too high in all 4 of my tires?

The TPMS has been reading pretty much the same since delivery of the car.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Of the three dealers that I've bought from, this one was the first to set the tire pressure correctly(the first one failed to change the 60 psi it was shipped with, and the ride was HARD!:(). Though the tires will heat up, and therefore raise the psi in each tire, it shouldn't be THAT high. On my road trips, driving for hours, the temperature never has gone above 38 psi in any tire. Get a gauge and check the reading before you start driving, and then let out the air until the gauge reads 35.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah, 44psi is kind of high and it is off by 2psi between front and rear.
Even on a very hot driving day, the most I had seem on mine is about 39psi.
You should adjust the tire pressure in the morning to 35psi on all tires.

I haven't checked with a manual gauge, but if the TPMS is correct, isn't the pressure a little too high in all 4 of my tires?

The TPMS has been reading pretty much the same since delivery of the car.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.