Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the latest perspective and experience with Active Lane Control and Intelligent Cruise Control. I've searched the forum and haven't found any recent posts.

I'm coming out of a 24 month lease on a 2014 Q50, am considering a 2015 or 2016 Q50 (when avail), and am very interested in these features. I've test driven a Tesla Model S with Autopilot and love that aspect of the car, but would prefer a gas powered car like the Q50 with better range and much lower price, if the technology in these features makes the car's "auto-driving" similar to that of the Tesla.

Specifically, what's the latest experience of people who use these features regularly when driving? Any improvements with the latest software update on the car? Opinions regarding practicality of driving 30-50 miles on the highway without steering corrections or accelerator/braking input (in stop and go) by the driver? I read that the steering feature only functions at speeds above 45 mph-- is this really the case?

Apologies if this is duplicative of questions already addressed recently.

Thanks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep, 45mph and above. And because it is 'lane control' and not auto-pilot, it only allows a few degrees of steering correction.
On a straight stretch of highway, it can manage itself well. In daily driving, don't expect to be able to zone out and let the car drive itself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, for one it can't change lanes like the Tesla does. But after thorough testing of the Driving Assistance features on my 2015 Q50 I can say it works well. It will definitely slow down for you according to the traffic and follow slight curvatures in the highway. However often times if the curvature in the highway is too much, you will have to take over. Also, for stop-n-go traffic if the car has to come to a complete stop for more than 2-4 seconds, you'll have to re-engage the cruise control on your own. I wouldn't call it an auto-pilot but it's definitely an advanced intelligent cruise control!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I use Active Lane Control every day to the point I am worried I have been spoiled by it. I was driving a loaner and felt subconsciously annoyed at having to keep the car in its lane unaided. I know that sounds silly, but when you get used to having ALC on, you don't especially like driving something without it and it's because the car really is doing a lot of the work for you.

Driving on the highway with Distance Control Assist, ALC, and Intelligent Cruise Control is nothing short of a dream for me. You really can pretty much relax and let the car drive. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hunter81- My sentiments exactly after doing a 100 mile roundtrip commute with the Tesla Autopilot-- quite amazing. The differences from the descriptions here are: 1) lane change capability- the Tesla can change lanes without user actively moving the steering wheel (ie, change lane using turn signal), and will only change lanes when the new lane is clear; 2) speed of operation- as far as I can tell, it operates down to speed as low as in the 20s; 3) stop and go driving- the Autopilot will maintain stop and go without need for accelerator/braking for long distances.

What is the ALC's reaction to hands being off of the steering wheel?

All of this said, I should go test drive the Q, as it seems to be a relatively affordable alternative to get a similar experience. From my dealer, the 2016s will be out in February/March, and no word whether the systems on the new models will be improved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
aLc can handle very slight curves. I didn't test drive the tesla but for the Acura tlx, their version of alc beeps if your hands are not on the wheel. Lexus is just coming out with ALC type technology on their cars.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
@ufcpa123,

The Tesla system certainly sounds a little more advanced than what we have in the Q50. I'd be interested to see it in person. Obviously the car can't change lanes on its own and ALC isn't technically meant to drive the car for you, although Infiniti themselves have made a humorous poke to people who have uploaded YouTube videos of their Q50's driving itself.

ACL only work higher than about 45 mph so again it doesn't seem to have the same capability of the Tesla in this regard. Also, the faster you are going the better it works at driving the car. It's going to wobble between lane markers more at 50 mph than it will at 70 or 80 mph.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
@ufcpa123 ,

although Infiniti themselves have made a humorous poke to people who have uploaded YouTube videos of their Q50's driving itself.
I seent (Mississippi spelling for seen) your YouTube video...you are one of those people >:D.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Safety tech in the Q is great. I don't know any details about Tesla's product but the ALC and adaptive cruise coupled with the DAS makes highway driving much more enjoyable to me. If I want to drive, the car lets me. However, when I'm on longer trips it reduces driving fatigue by an order of magnitude.

It won't drive for you but it takes a lot of the 'effort' out of having to manage the driving process if that makes any sense. You still have to pay attention to everything (and should anyway) but it will generally keep you in your lane and will generally keep you from rear ending someone.

The best thing I could suggest is a test drive on the highway and see for yourself.

On suburban and city streets the safety tech can be a bit intrusive at times but you can turn different features off and on. I leave them on all the time and have learned to let the car do a lot on its own. For example, I often let the car brake for me when I'm coming to a light behind another car. I still have my foot on the brake pedal but don't often need it.

Bottom line, highway driving is just about a dream in my Q. I'm having a hard time finding another car that I feel would give me that same experience without spending the money on something like a Tesla.

I would not suggest driving without your hands on the steering wheel - ever - with any car. While the systems are really good, it's still up to the driver to ensure safety and until every car has the same systems I don't trust anything or anyone with my own safety. I would feel the same way with a Tesla or an M-1 Abrams tank.

For the cost savings, if that is important to you, I would definitely try the Q50. If money is no obstacle and the mileage limits of electric aren't enough to sway you away from Tesla then that would be a cool car to own for sure.

Good luck and please post back your experiences and thoughts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just Took Delivery of '15 Q with Tech and ALC -- Thoughts

All-

I started this thread originally, and appreciated your input. You feedback in part led me to take delivery of a 2015 Q50 Hybrid with Tech. I have about 150 miles on the car in the last two days, with lots of experimenting with Active Lane Control (ALC) and Intelligent Cruise. As I mentioned, I drove a Tesla with Autopilot for an overnight test drive, and that Autopilot became "my standard" for evaluating features like ALC, Cruise, blindspot detection, etc.

Generally, I'm very happy with Intelligent Cruise on the Q-- it works reliably in keeping me separated from the car ahead, and does a great job in bringing the car to a halt when following a car which stops ahead. I wish that it would hold the brake until the lead car moves again-- but all in all, thumbs up on this feature.

Active Lane Control works ok on straight roads with lines that are very visible, but can be unpredictable at times. Occasionally, the car will cross a line without any warning, or provide warning well after crossing a line. The car sometimes tracks gradual curves, but at other times goes right through the line tracking the outside of the curve (ie, as if the car is continuing straight ahead). I haven't figured out why it behaves as it does, based on conditions, sunlight, line visibility, etc.-- it's unpredictable.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has found any means to improve the performance of ALC, or has any thoughts based on experiences, beyond your previous comments. I've ensured that the windshield glass around the camera is clean, and I've relocated my tollpass sticker to be distant from the camera, after the dealer moved it from my previous Q50 and placed it next to the camera.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you all!

·
Registered
324 Posts
To me you get comfortable on what the ALC can / can't do. By this i mean if im driving in the right lane (rare) and there's an off ramp i know the system will see that and make a move right. so i put a hand on the wheel and help it back to center until there are solid lines. Same for turns i know the system will hate. I do a lot of freeway driving and I basically got the Q for the tech. It works great IMHO

Give it time.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I too wish that ALC was a bit more capable/aggressive. But I still love what it does. As advertised, it helps you stay in your lane - we're still a few steps away from a self-driving car. I haven't played with a Tesla on autopilot yet, but as I understand it, it is more capable than our cars (although I had mine a year and a half before any of them did).

I find the system is very effective at making me less tired when I arrive at the end of a long trip. It isn't autopilot, but it is awesome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All-

I started this thread originally, and appreciated your input. You feedback in part led me to take delivery of a 2015 Q50 Hybrid with Tech. I have about 150 miles on the car in the last two days, with lots of experimenting with Active Lane Control (ALC) and Intelligent Cruise. As I mentioned, I drove a Tesla with Autopilot for an overnight test drive, and that Autopilot became "my standard" for evaluating features like ALC, Cruise, blindspot detection, etc.

Active Lane Control works ok on straight roads with lines that are very visible, but can be unpredictable at times. Occasionally, the car will cross a line without any warning, or provide warning well after crossing a line. The car sometimes tracks gradual curves, but at other times goes right through the line tracking the outside of the curve (ie, as if the car is continuing straight ahead). I haven't figured out why it behaves as it does, based on conditions, sunlight, line visibility, etc.-- it's unpredictable.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has found any means to improve the performance of ALC, or has any thoughts based on experiences, beyond your previous comments. I've ensured that the windshield glass around the camera is clean, and I've relocated my tollpass sticker to be distant from the camera, after the dealer moved it from my previous Q50 and placed it next to the camera.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you all!
To help out with ALC, I always switch the centre dashboard display to the one with image of the car on a grid. If the grid is blue the system knows what it is doing. If the blue disappears, time to take over. Try it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback on this. The point about turning on the Chassis Control monitor was extremely helpful-- no more guessing as to when the system is engaged!

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
One other thought - go into the settings and set the lane control to "high". I find that works better than the default "low" setting.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Active Lane Control-- Latest Observations

A quick follow-up to this thread, which I started originally when I was considering purchasing a 2015 Q50. As an update, late in December, I purchased a 2015 Hybrid with Tech, specifically for the Active Lane Control (ALC), Intelligent Cruise, etc., for my 100 mile daily roundtrip commute. I previously had a 2014 Q50 Premium, which I drove for 2 years and 30k miles.

With respect to the new car, after almost 1,000 miles, I'm very happy overall. My commute is roughly 65% on the highway, and my average mileage is 32.9.

The "safety" features of the car- ALC, Intelligent Cruise, and autobraking make every drive much easier and, like others, I have come to rely on the features-- especially the Intelligent Cruise, which works extremely well, and is used often even on county roads at 30-50 mph. It does a great job of keeping appropriate distance behind the vehicle ahead and brakes consistently well as the lead vehicle slows or comes to a stop. My only wish for this feature is that it would hold the car at a standstill after coming to a stop-- not sure why it releases the brake.

I'm relatively happy with the Active Lane Control, but as previously observed, wish that it had a bit more steering "strength" or torque in holding a curve on the highway. I'm not sure what the downside would be for the car to be better on this aspect of ALC, as it does a good job of holding the center of the lane on straight or gradually curving roadways. The car clearly "sees" the lane markers.

As mentioned in a previous post, through personal experience with Tesla's Autopilot, the Tesla does hold a tighter roadway curve, centered in the lane. By the way, as compared to the Tesla, performance of Infiniti's Intelligent Cruise and stop-and-go braking performance is very similar. When considering that the price of my Infiniti was half that of the Tesla, based on the features discussed in this thread, I'm very happy with my decision to purchase the Q50.

If anyone has suggestions regarding improving ALC's "curve performance" noted above, including appropriate Infiniti personnel for feedback, please post it.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.