Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading another thread about how upset some are about the fact that the the Driver Mode isn't stored with the key, I spent some time reading up on it. One of the options is Personal Mode. You have an option in Personal Mode to turn Active Trace Control off. The manual has this to say about Active Trace Control:

ACTIVE TRACE CONTROL
This system senses driving based on the
driver’s steering and acceleration/braking
patterns, and controls brake pressure at
individual wheels and hybrid system output
to help smooth vehicle response.
When the SPORT mode is selected by the
INFINITI Drive Mode Selector, the amount of
brake control provided by the active trace
control is reduced.
When the PERSONAL mode is selected, the
active trace control can be set to ON
(enabled) or OFF (disabled). See “INFINITI
Drive Mode Selector” (P.5-21).
When the VDC OFF switch is used to turn off
the VDC system, the active trace control is
also turned off.

My question is: "Why would you want to turn Active Trace Control off"

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
ATC provides small amounts of braking pressure to the inside wheels in a turn. It helps make the car feel like it is almost pivoting around a corner. I believe it also engages in a U-Turn.

Only reason I can think of you wouldn't want it is because on the track it could slow you slightly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only reason I can think of you wouldn't want it is because on the track it could slow you slightly.
Thanks! I'll remember that the next time I'm driving on my local track...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There's another reason why you wouldn't want it on. When tires are at the limits of adhesion (snow, ice, wet) tapping the brakes could cause a loss of adhesion. You don't have to be on the track for that to happen.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was accelerating fast through a turn once where none of the tires where sliding and it felt like the car hit the brakes. It was kind of unsettling mentally. Wonder if it was active trace control?

·
Registered
478 Posts
The only reason you would ever really need to turn it off is if you wanted to do donuts in the snow. You could try to do it on dry or wet pavement, but the AWD will not allow it to break loose like a G37 would. In other words, you can pretty much leave it on.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
You can turn on a screen in the dash display that will show you when ALC and ATC are activated. I like to see when the cR is actually intervening with the ATC. It's not as often as you might expect. Unfortunately, when you reset in touch you have to re-add the screen manually in the meter menu section.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ATC provides small amounts of braking pressure to the inside wheels in a turn. It helps make the car feel like it is almost pivoting around a corner. I believe it also engages in a U-Turn.

Actually this issue has created much frustration with regards to how these cars handle on the track. I've been trying to figure out why the car either brakes on it's own or limits the throttle until the car resets itself. I've been to the track 4 times now and the last two outings have been a major disappointment because of this. Anyone else have this experience???

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can disable ATC fully in the custom drive mode selection menu. This is not related to traction control systems, however.
The frustrating part is that there is something going on to detune/limp mode the car when I'm on the track. I actually have felt it while driving and the fact that I can't figure it out is maddening. Unfortunately there aren't many Q50 owners driving the car like me to discuss this issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up, was doing a search as I was experimenting with ATC on vs off. You're saying you felt the throttle was limited when ATC is off?
He probably felt that traction control was still on and it cuts power to the engine. When ATC is off, it lets the rears loose a little. No braking is used by the car when cornering so it's all on the driver. While Traction is still on if the car notices wheel slip, it'll cut power preventing the car from sliding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.