Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Looks promising: Acura TLX to Debut Digitally Before End of May - The Truth About Cars

The current TLX went on sale in CY 2014 as a MY'15 model, respectfully, 1 year after the Q50's debut.

The next-Gen TLX will go on sale in 2020 as a MY'21 model.

It's gonna be interesting for the MY'21Q50; is it gonna be a warmed over model from MY'20? Will it have a significant update for MY'21 to remain relevant? Or, will we be surprised by a debut of the next-Gen model?

Meanwhile, the MY'21 Lexus IS will retain its current heart and bones, but will go under the knife for exterior and interior (nip-n-tuck) updates: The 3IS was introduced in-tow with the 1st-Gen Q50 (3rd Gen G) for 2013 as a MY14 model. Rumor also have it that a V-8 powered IS-F model (to be named IS 500) will make a debut in 2020 as well: 2021 Lexus IS To Retain Current Platform And Engine Lineup | Carscoops

So again, what does INFINITI have in store for the MY'21 Q50; with its most direct competitors having information announced and/or leaked? Perhaps, we will find out more on/after 28 May when Nissan reveals its mid-term (and turnaround) plan.....in which, it is reported that INFINITI will gain a re-tuned and significant focus: Nissan Readies Mid-Term Plan

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
606 Posts
It only took Acura 6 years to do this lmfao.

I cross shopped the 2017 TLX SH-AWD Advance Pkg with my 2017 Q50 Red Sport, but, of course, ended up with the Q50. A year later, my fiance ended up with a low-mileage 2017 TLX SH-AWD Advance Pkg — Totally not disappointed in My decision.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I really do like the design of the new TLX and if it ends up being a grown up Type-R it could do very well for itself,
especially if Honda throws AWD and a bit more power at the car so it better competes in the segment.

As for the IS I don't personally have much hope for it, Toyota's only new RWD platform (TNGA: GA-L ) underpins the LC500,
which is a car nearly the same size of the Q60 but it weighs an ungodly 4400lbs. Which is why I suspect
they are keeping it on the older platform instead of moving it over.

Either way I have little faith in Toyota when they can't even be bothered to design/build the Supra themselves.

Lastly for the Q50/60 I suspect we will have an mild redesign, but that is pretty dependent on what they planned for the 400z.
A new 9-speed transmission (possibly manual as well), updated interior/infotainment, tweaked exterior are pretty much guaranteed.

Beyond that everything else is speculation.

On that note we may actually see an update to the FM platform, I spent a fair bit of time reading up on Nissan's UHS (high strength steel) that they started showing off in 2013
where they added 1180MPa rated steel in low percentages to the body for the Q50. However in 2017 they developed a 980MPa rated steel which is used in the QX50 and new Altima.

This new inclusion accounted for for nearly 30% of the steel used and lowered weight by 9-11% and has yet to be implemented in the FM platform,
so we may actually see the FM platform cut between 100-300lbs while improving rigidity.

Reactions: mapleDom and Q602B

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,487 Posts
I get a boner whenever I look at the Acura Type S concept.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really do like the design of the new TLX and if it ends up being a grown up Type-R it could do very well for itself,
especially if Honda throws AWD and a bit more power at the car so it better competes in the segment.

As for the IS I don't personally have much hope for it, Toyota's only new RWD platform (TNGA: GA-L ) underpins the LC500,
which is a car nearly the same size of the Q60 but it weighs an ungodly 4400lbs. Which is why I suspect
they are keeping it on the older platform instead of moving it over.

Either way I have little faith in Toyota when they can't even be bothered to design/build the Supra themselves.

Lastly for the Q50/60 I suspect we will have an mild redesign, but that is pretty dependent on what they planned for the 400z.
A new 9-speed transmission (possibly manual as well), updated interior/infotainment, tweaked exterior are pretty much guaranteed.

Beyond that everything else is speculation.

On that note we may actually see an update to the FM platform, I spent a fair bit of time reading up on Nissan's UHS (high strength steel) that they started showing off in 2013
where they added 1180MPa rated steel in low percentages to the body for the Q50. However in 2017 they developed a 980MPa rated steel which is used in the QX50 and new Altima.

This new inclusion accounted for for nearly 30% of the steel used and lowered weight by 9-11% and has yet to be implemented in the FM platform,
so we may actually see the FM platform cut between 100-300lbs while improving rigidity.
IIRC, the IS and LC are on two different platforms in which the 3IS's platform was all-new for MY2014 and they simply carried the power-train over.

I've known of Nissan's UHS since 2015 but I couldn't find any example of it being used in any of its FM/R platforms. Thanks for the deeper dive on the steel's density ratings. The UHS should hopefully be used in the FM platform; reporting on the Z's "heavily upgraded" FM platform sure does lend to this potential.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
IIRC, the IS and LC are on two different platforms in which the 3IS's platform was all-new for MY2014 and they simply carried the power-train over.

I've known of Nissan's UHS since 2015 but I couldn't find any example of it being used in any of its FM/R platforms. Thanks for the deeper dive on the steel's density ratings. The UHS should hopefully be used in the FM platform; reporting on the Z's "heavily upgraded" FM platform sure does lend to this potential.
You are correct the IS and LC are on different platforms, the LC is on the on the TNGA: GA-L and the IS, RC and GS used the N Platform which like
the FM platform dates back to early 2000's but it was updated to the N+ in 2014.

But I don't blame you for not seeing anything about the UHS being used in the FM platforms, it was never mentioned in any
reviews, press releases or articles that I've read. All I was able to find was throw away line about it on the main page on
the Nissan site about UHS.

Which makes me think it was used only to improve crash safety, which would explain the increase in weight from the G37 to Q50 and
the slightly better IHS safety rating between 2012 G37 and 2014 Q50. The Roof test they conduct shows a pretty massive improvement.

2012 G37 - Structure and safety cage > Marginal
Roof Strength:
Peak force 14,435 lbs
Strength-to-weight ratio 3.98

2014 Q50 - Structure and safety cage > Acceptable
Roof Strength:
Peak force 19,309 lbs
Strength-to-weight ratio 5.29

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Somebody from Acura was on Reddit and he stated the car will have 400 HP and slightly over 400 Pounds of Torque. If this anywhere as good as the concept it will be my next car. The Rear in black looks damn good.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Somebody from Acura was on Reddit and he stated the car will have 400 HP and slightly over 400 Pounds of Torque. If this anywhere as good as the concept it will be my next car. The Rear in black looks damn good.
Aye Honda has all the right elements to put together a capable car in this class even if it's based on a FWD platform, I'll reserve judgement
until next year when the Q50 gets updated as well however.

I really dislike the idea of throwing down over 35-40K and only getting a 4-cylinder motor so I hope whatever engine Acura
has that makes 400HP/TQ is greater than that.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Aye Honda has all the right elements to put together a capable car in this class even if it's based on a FWD platform, I'll reserve judgement
until next year when the Q50 gets updated as well however.

I really dislike the idea of throwing down over 35-40K and only getting a 4-cylinder motor so I hope whatever engine Acura
has that makes 400HP/TQ is greater than that.
The Type S will be a Twin Turbo V6. The 4 Cylinder will be the Non Type S regular TLX. I don't know what Infiniti is doing anymore, but they closed 5 dealerships in the Bay Area and I have to now drive a half hour to the nearest one when before it was a 5 minute drive to my house. Infiniti needs to step their game up. Are we even sure they will make another Q50?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Infiniti needs to step their game up. Are we even sure they will make another Q50?
That picture should become a little more clear next week.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The Type S will be a Twin Turbo V6. The 4 Cylinder will be the Non Type S regular TLX. I don't know what Infiniti is doing anymore, but they closed 5 dealerships in the Bay Area and I have to now drive a half hour to the nearest one when before it was a 5 minute drive to my house. Infiniti needs to step their game up. Are we even sure they will make another Q50?
Aye as Q602B said we should find out about that shortly, I'll also say in fairness to dealerships a bunch are closing from all brands at the moment.
Global car sales are waaaaay down right now and their entire purpose of dealerships is to draw customers in so they can look at cars in person.

So doesn't really fit with the current climate.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,487 Posts
And at my age that is getting harder (pun intended) to do.
lol. Not looking forward to that. So far, no issues here. No decline in anything yet - except maybe the desired frequency. I need a minimum 48 hours recovery time now.

Reactions: rpiotro and Q602B

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
lol. Not looking forward to that. So far, no issues here. No decline in anything yet - except maybe the desired frequency. I need a minimum 48 hours recovery time now.
TMI. Get sildenafil.

·
Super Moderator
3,487 Posts
Reactions: Q602B

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts
Just doing my part in the thread derailment department.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I came real close to buying a TL in 2014. Bought the Q50 instead. The TL interior was comfy and inviting. The ride was pleasant. But after driving the Q hybrid I was sold.
In 2015 Acura did away with a true double wishbone front suspension and went with struts on the TLX. That was a deal breaker for me. I thought I heard they were coming back?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
3,487 Posts
2 more days....,

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Still need to actually see the car tested but looking forward to the announcement, seem to recall Q602B mentioning Nissan had an meeting or announcement
scheduled over the next few days as well.

Reactions: ptatohed
1 - 20 of 109 Posts