Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

I recently switched cars between a 2018 q50 , to a RDX 2020 Aspec. Let me tell you, night a day difference. Yes i know it’s an SUV, but the technology in this car is really something special. The looks, the tech, the driving dynamics are really great. I understand this is a q50 forum but people need to start looking at acura especially this new Type-S slated for spring release. I think the Type-S is going to be incredibly fast. HP isn’t everything , and acura knows that. The new tlx has ambient lighting, better tech, and possibly a better engine Vrs the red sport (turbo v6).

i will always love infiniti but unless they do something amazing in the next year or two, acura is going to steal all the sales here. The RDX is already killing the sales game, i bet this TLX type S and possibly RDX type S will completely obliterate infiniti

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I believe I saw an A-spec blowing by me early yesterday. Driver was behaving like there was no speed limit.

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,537 Posts
Can't Dom, too many rioters. Fucking surreal here.
I've been keeping an eye on what is happening, maybe it's time to move a bit north. I'm sorry to see that.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on what is happening, maybe it's time to move a bit north. I'm sorry to see that.
Been thinking about that...moving north.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Can't Dom, too many rioters. Fucking surreal here.
Since this topic is starting to take a turn.

Started here too. A cop was shot last night but not seriously injured. I'm glad I've got my CCW permit. Just staying miles away from the action so I hopefully won't need it.
Like a firearms trainer once said "If you are going somewhere that you feel you need to carry a gun ask yourself if you really need to go there?"
Unfortunately one of my clients is in an area that fits that description so...
I am not going there for the time being. Fortunately, I can do a lot remotely.

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,537 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I understand this is a q50 forum but people need to start looking at acura especially this new Type-S slated for spring release. I think the Type-S is going to be incredibly fast.
Isn't that why we have a thread discussing it??? We are all interested to see what the competition brings to the field, we love competition between these brands
as we as consumers end up with better products.

Besides the Q50/60 are effectively end of life, they are getting a major update in a year or so meaning we are going to have nearly a fully
refreshed segment on entry-level luxury cars.

Personally thought I couldn't give two cents about technology in my cars, but I recognize I'm a minority in that regard. Hah

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Isn't that why we have a thread discussing it??? We are all interested to see what the competition brings to the field, we love competition between these brands

Besides the Q50/60 are effectively end of life, they are getting a major update in a year or so meaning we are going to have nearly a fully

Personally thought I couldn't give two cents about technology in my cars, but I recognize I'm a minority in that regard. Hah
You got that right, I drive my cars not play with buttons.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
You got that right, I drive my cars not play with buttons.
I've been asked how long is my commute to and from work. I always answer, I don't commute....I drive.

Every curve/corner has an apex and I try to nail them all each and every time....and all time spent on straight lane roads is in search of the nearest gap...in order to create a buffer away from commuters.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
LOL! Another "the grass is always greener on the other side" post.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I recently switched cars between a 2018 q50 , to a RDX 2020 Aspec. Let me tell you, night a day difference. Yes i know it’s an SUV, but the technology in this car is really something special. The looks, the tech, the driving dynamics are really great. I understand this is a q50 forum but people need to start looking at acura especially this new Type-S slated for spring release. I think the Type-S is going to be incredibly fast. HP isn’t everything , and acura knows that. The new tlx has ambient lighting, better tech, and possibly a better engine Vrs the red sport (turbo v6).

i will always love infiniti but unless they do something amazing in the next year or two, acura is going to steal all the sales here. The RDX is alreadyHPilling the sales game, i bet this TLX type S and possibly RDX type S will completely obliterate infiniti
Yes. I'm sure we are all well-aware the the RDX and this new (TLX Type S) will have good technology. Isn't suppose to? The Q car's tech has been out since 2014 and this new RDX/TLX Type S is literally 2018-2020+ tech. Everything tech related is always better a year later. We can't compare an iPhone 8 to an iPhone X. Like iPhone, studies have shown, most people don't use all the features they buy with their car anyways.

With that said, we all know the tech is better in the newer model of Acura than compared to Infiniti. But performance....?

Your performance comment is very bias towards Acura, I get it, you are an Acura owner. The Q might be a heavy but its still a RWD car and a RWD-bias AWD car. In terms of driving dynamics, the Q will still probably be more fun and better to drive than the Acura TLX Type S. Unless Acura makes the TLX Type S handle like the Civic Type R, which I doubt they will because the Type R is much smaller.

RDX is selling well because Acura has always sold well in SUVs. Their RDX sells well like the Lexus RX.

The Acura TLX/TLX Type S will not "obliterate" Infiniti. The base model TLX is almost guarantee to be slower than the base model Infiniti Q (Luxe/SS). No amount of gearing or aggressive 10spd auto can make the 270hp/280tq motor catch up to a 300hp Q50 (Luxe/SS) because in reality the base Q isn't 300hp (it dynos at 300whp which is almost 350hp crank). Unless Acura's base TLX motor is underrated by 80hp, I can't see the base motor beating the base Q.

The numbers don't lie either: the RDX turbo motor pulls the RDX to 60 in 6.4 seconds and the base Q gets to 60 in 5 seconds flat according to CnD. That means the base Acura TLX, with the RDX motor, will have to be 1.5 seconds faster than the RDX with the same motor, different transmission and weight reduction. That is mechanically not possible unless the TLX is stripped.

The Acura TLX Type S is rumored to have 350hp compared to the Red Sport's 400hp. And again in reality the Red Sport is underrated too, some dynos and in good conditions, show Red Sports can make 380whp stock. This makes the 400hp crank number likely higher. To say it can completely "obliterate" the Infiniti Q is bias. What's the right thing to say is - depending on the Acura TLX Type S's tune and transmission, it has the possibly to be nearly as fast or just as fast as the Q.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We have a 2020 MDX. Had an issue right away with the moon roof and while they were fixing it we had a loaner, a 2020 RDX. Meh. The 2.0 turbo is too small for the vehicle. It starts off OK but at highway speeds it's a dud and struggles to accelerate for pasing with any gusto. The ride is harsh compared to the MDX. We almost went with the RDX - after driving the loaner for 2 days I was happy we went with the MDX. A night and day difference regarding ride and the 3.5 in the MDX is a beast for a v6.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have a 2020 MDX. Had an issue right away with the moon roof and while they were fixing it we had a loaner, a 2020 RDX. Meh. The 2.0 turbo is too small for the vehicle. It starts off OK but at highway speeds it's a dud and struggles to accelerate for pasing with any gusto. The ride is harsh compared to the MDX. We almost went with the RDX - after driving the loaner for 2 days I was happy we went with the MDX. A night and day difference regarding ride and the 3.5 in the MDX is a beast for a v6.
The MDX is definitely the more "luxurious, quiet, and smoother" ride of the two. Acura designed the RDX to be "sporty".

·
Registered
164 Posts
The MDX is definitely the more "luxurious, quiet, and smoother" ride of the two. Acura designed the RDX to be "sporty".
Yeah but the MDX in Sport mode is waaaaay more sporty than the RDX IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Yep you are the minority in that group, when spending 40k+ i expect technology to be amazing and flawless. We will see if infiniti updates the Q50, if they do i will applaud but with the way it’s looking right now infiniti hasn’t been making much $. Sales on the Qx50 are laughable. Not to mention the news that Nissan is reconstructing basically throws Infiniti under the bus. Infiniti just feels like a dying car brand to me, the G37 was the best product they have ever made. They could’ve ran with that and kept updating and investing in R&D but someone somehow dropped the ball.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yep you are the minority in that group, when spending 40k+ i expect technology to be amazing and flawless. We will see if infiniti updates the Q50, if they do i will applaud but with the way it’s looking right now infiniti hasn’t been making much $. Sales on the Qx50 are laughable. Not to mention the news that Nissan is reconstructing basically throws Infiniti under the bus. Infiniti just feels like a dying car brand to me, the G37 was the best product they have ever made. They could’ve ran with that and kept updating and investing in R&D but someone somehow dropped the ball.
Hah I certinally am which is rather odd because I'm an IT System administrator, but I deal with technology issues all day so my car is one place where I'd like to avoid it where-ever possible.

As for Nissan throwing Infiniti under the bus I disagree, it's been a change a long-time coming and anyone who's been keeping track of interviews with the brands R&D leads will know that this plan was announced back in 2018... Although JALOPNIK seems to forger those details and likes to bash on Nissan whenever possible it seems. Hah

They have a fair bit going on behind the scenes and some interesting changes that will put Infiniti in a very strong position
assuming they can nail the execution.

I will agree though the QX50 did terribly, although as to why I can't say perhaps it was distrust in the new 2.0T engine or the technology or some combination of both.
But that is neither here nor there, and would be a very large discussion better suited to it's own thread.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
I LOL'd at this. Does not happen at any price point...well, maybe, NASA and SpaceX price points...maybe.
Price points are not relevant. Remember Challenger?

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
61 - 80 of 109 Posts