Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Under boost there is no vacuum to the catch can, this type of system routes another line to the intake where the crankcase is vented so the catch can can get all the blow by under boost also. And since it took the hole the crankcase was vent, it's design vents the crank case to atmosphere. I understand how it works but think there could be a better way. But it does work. I'm just waiting for the perfect system before upgrading my basic catch can set up.
Font Parallel Art Pattern Symmetry

·
Registered
16 Posts
The valve covers are connected, so I see why people think this system is getting both sides, when in actuality even a basic catch can gets both, since they are connected with a hose. This system the op has is actually solving the problem of when boost builds and the pcv closes, there is no vacuum during that time, so it reroutes to the crank case vent, where there is a slight vacuum. Now because it takes where the crank case was venting, they give you a breather filter to take it's place. So now your crankcase pressure has somewhere to go. But by design the crankcase does better with a slight vacuum. Better for rings and well everything. I have a hard time explaining things, but this system isn't the best, your cutting into one vent to make another and leaving the crankcase with 0 pressure which is fine, (as long as it's not pressure) but it's better with a vacuum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a Z1 catch can on my Q for a few weeks and took it off just before taking the car to the dealer. Surprisingly it had about 1/8 of a teaspoon of oil in it. But the dealer found I had a bad drivers side turbo so I wonder if that is why the catch can had some oil in after such a short time?
No definitely not. The catch can is getting any blow by in the crank case and valve covers. Unrelated. An 1/8 a teaspoon in a few weeks isn't much fr.

Bad turbos are common. Supposedly the turbos they are replacing them with are "revised" and hopefully you will not have any more problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts