Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the ADD W1 v3.3 installed today. I have pics and a video, and some questions. Mods feel free to move this if it is in the wrong area, or just delete it I guess if there are already like 40 similar threads and nobody wants to see another one.

Well anyhow, here we are:

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Helmet Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Hood

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Hood Audio equipment

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Nut Auto part

Motor vehicle Black Wood Automotive tire Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Hood
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Nut Auto part
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Hood Audio equipment
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Helmet Hood
Motor vehicle Black Wood Automotive tire Auto part

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It looks as though both driver and passenger side PCV venting are accounted for. There is a tiny air filter thingy which I don't know the purpose of...anyone know what this is for? Do I need to change the filter? Also is it normal to be able to hear the vacuum when the engine is running? I hear it WHOOOSHing, so hopefully that is not indicative of a vacuum leak. If you look closely at the photos you might make out some zip ties and also hoses pressed against the engine itself. I plan to address this by ordering mounting brackets.

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
* Edit: I reuploaded the video after flipping it the corrct way*

The video uploaded upside down for some reason, lol. I'll clean up the zip ties and tubing later with brackets. I don't like where they touch the engine.

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The whoosh is likely from the breather. My question is, why is there a breather, and how is that going to effect manifold pressure if at all? My mishimoto OCC doesn’t have one and from what I can tell, the system doesn’t need one and in all likelihood shouldn’t have one. You may want to do a bit of research on this topic.
Yeah I will do some poking about and see what I can find. The ADD W1 3.3 came with one, so they installed it. From what I can tell, it is hooked up as follows. The input to the can is connected to the PCV hose on the drivers valve cover. One of the outputs is connected to the intake manifold, which Im assuming will drag stuff out of the PCV line at idle as it would be under vacuum. But under boost/load, there'd need to be a different vacuum source then the manifold. I'm guessing that's the point of the second output from the can. It is connected to a small tube on the intake portion of the passengers side turbo, which would be a source of vacuum under load. But, the nozzle the hose is connected to is part of the intake which means it was always there, which means something used to be connected to it before they installed the catchcan. My guess is the breather might be connected to that, or something else on the passengers side valve cover, but I can't quite see to be sure.

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh, deus ex machina, lol. The dealer service manager literally just answered my question. Here is the reply:

"The passenger side is a crank case vent because there is no valve on that side and they design it to just vent to the atmosphere. I would just look at that filter and replace as needed. Maybe order one as a spare when you order the clamps just so you have it available when needed if you are in for an oil change."

So my guess based on that is maybe the conpressor/intake nozzle was connected to the passenger side CCV? I can't imagine theyd just dump it outside, F**k the EPA style. lol? The vacuum from the turbo would drag it out of the vent and dump all the oil and crap into the turbo though so that would have been not very cashmoney of them either. Hmmm. I'll do more research, maybe that other vent line needs to be spliced to dump into the catchcan somehow.

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How hard was the install? And have you previously done work on cars?
I don't mind working on my own stuff, I've done oil and brakes, etc before on modern cars, and helped with more difficult stuff on older classic cars. I am mechanically inclined, and will get my hands dirty. However, that being said, this is a brand new car and a daily driver. I can't afford downtime. This, combined with the fact that the dealership near me has a service dept (and service manager) who are all gearheads and modders, moved me to have them do it. They said it won't affect warranty claims, at least not until I get it tuned or do crazy stuff to it that would cause obvious failures. They'll even do the HX and intercoolers/downpipes/Pure 2's when I'm ready. This is all very convenient and worth the extra price I might be paying since the closest AMS place is in NH somewhere and I can't get up there often. Also, I live in a large condo complex that doesn't really have anywhere convenient to do car work, plus they frown on it since they don't want oil stains everywhere. :[

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Basically, anything simple that just requires the hood open, and no fluids, I can probably do here. But anything that requires a lift or fluids getting on the ground, I'll have a dealer (or AMS service center) do it.

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know its only been a few days, but I'm tempted to open the can and see if anything is in it. How often do folks dump these generally? Do I need to do anything special like empty it more often in the winter, or take it apart and clean it once a year or something?

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sorry if I seem to be a bit slow or tedious but I can be pedantic and nerdy when in datagather mode so plz bear with me, I am just trying to make sure I understand all this. So, my understanding of how this is supposed to be setup ( I attempted to verify this by looking at the routing of the hoses.) So from the factory, it seems the initial setup is as follows. There is a PCV valve on the drivers side as well as possibly a Crankcase vent. There is definitely a Crankcase vent on the passengers side. From stock, these seemed to be set up as follows:

1.) Passengers CCV on the valvetrain cover attached to passengers side turbo before compressor (via some nipple thingy)

2.) Drivers side PCV attached directly to manifold ( plz dump oil and garbage directly into my zoom zoomz hnnngh lol)

3.) Drivers side CCV = ???? is there one? no idea what the deal is here.

===================================

Post Catchcan install:

1.) Passengers CCV is no longer attached to turbo (yaaay??) Instead, the nipple whatever thingy is connected to the Output of the catchcan presumably to snag vacuum when boost is herpening. The CCV on the valvetrain cover now has a tiny air filter thingy on it that came with the ADD W1 kit so that's VTA i guess??

2.) Driver's side PCV is directly and firmly connected to the Input of the catchcan instead of the manifold as I imagine it would be. So now no moar 💩💩💩 being fed into my poor VR30.

3.) The manifold that was previously getting 💩💩 dumped in it is now the second Output for the catchcan, it is used to draw vacuum when at idle (or, at least, whenever the manifold is not pressurized and is at vacuum which I imagine is when no steppy on Go! Pedal)

So that all appears well and good. My concerns are as follows. Does the VTA on the passengers side valve cover present any issues? Is pressure being lost through this that shouldn't be? I ask because I have noticed a mild but obvious decrease in performance after having this thing for a week or so. It's not scientific as far as having numbers to back it up, but I trust my butt dyno and visual tracking of 0-60 times, with temperature and heatsoak accounted for. In other words even after a cold start or letting the IC pumps clear heatsoak from the HX on a hot day, I am not getting the yank from the car that Ive been getting since I bought it. Im getting about a 6.0 to6.2ish sec 0-60 where before it was probably 5.2 to 5.4 maybe (??) It seems like its pulling timing even at night when its not 85-90 out. I don't think it's bad gas, and I didn't change anything else. Repeated runs were done on flat surface allowing the air charge to cool off in between. All runs were done on Mobil 93 sourced from the same station I always use. WTF mang? LOL. Is there some thing Im supposed to do like an ECU or throttle relearn or something now that I have made these changes? There's a part of me that says "Dude chill out its just your imagination, or heatsoak" but the science part of me is like "yeahhhhh....."

·
Registered
2022 Q50 Luxe AWD
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just checking in, no oil on the catchcan dipstick yet. I need a new set of allens, the ones i have won't let me take the can off, and I can't unscrew it as installed...too much in the way. I'll need to square that away before it gets cold out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts