Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm considering a 2014/2015 Q50 but am not sure what these years have possible issues with? Which year is the better choice and why?

Also is it true the rust is terrible on these cars if you live in city that has winter/snow seasons?

Anyone have kids and car seats they put in the back of their Q50? How is the space?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im looking at one that says "Premium Package", but does not mention Tech package, Sport package like other ads i see....

What is the difference?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Imo none of the packages are worth getting unless you start at Sport for 2017 and older, mainly due to the 14" brakes. You can get everything else on Sport that the other packages have but you can't get 14" brakes on lesser packages. On a 3800-4100lb car, 14" brakes are a necessity imo. The 12" brakes can be ok if you don't ever expect to stop at speeds higher than 45mph. Don't consider all the safety features then neglect probably the most important part of the majority of those safety features, brakes. Lol.

There's plenty of room for a child seat in the back, forward or rear facing. It's not going to be full size car roomy, but there still tons of space.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imo none of the packages are worth getting unless you start at Sport for 2017 and older, mainly due to the 14" brakes. You can get everything else on Sport that the other packages have but you can't get 14" brakes on lesser packages. On a 3800-4100lb car, 14" brakes are a necessity imo. The 12" brakes can be ok if you don't ever expect to stop at speeds higher than 45mph. Don't consider all the safety features then neglect probably the most important part of the majority of those safety features, brakes. Lol.

There's plenty of room for a child seat in the back, forward or rear facing. It's not going to be full size car roomy, but there still tons of space.
Thanks for your reply.

I will definitely look into that. However with the itch to modify the vehilce slightly i wonder if upgraded brakes would be more worth it then the possible extra price tag on getting a Sport model?

Just as im typing this i see another comment to consider Hybrid 2014 model....choices.

·
Registered
201 Posts
the Q50 market is weird. a quick check on cars.com shows that the 2014/5 cars are priced very close to the 16-18 cars, and those cars generally have less miles. the Sport models are anywhere from $0 to $3000 more than the other versions. again, the Sports generally have the same options and were usually fully loaded compared to the other models. anything under Sport trim and you start giving up important things. its pretty obvious that the Q50 was designed (as most cars) to be had as the Red Sport first, and the Sport is the same car minus 100hp. anything under Sport has cheaper interior and thats why you see people complain so much. bunch of young people scrimping and saving, thinking this will be their first "expensive" car but they get the base model and complain about it.

the hybrid is fine. it can also be had as a sport version with big brakes. for that car, i would 100% recommend Sport trim because that is the heaviest version of the Q50 you can get. its over 4100lbs. also, while the hybrid is model fuel efficient, its not that large of a difference depending on how you drive. the difference is about 2-4mpg city and the same hwy. for reference, 50/50 mix in my RWD Sport 3.0t, i avg 24mpg. on the highway, traveling light, i avg 32mpg. traveling, 3ppl plus luggage for a week vacation, i avg'd 30mpg over 500 miles. the hybrid will be slightly better but not unbelievably so.

avoid the 2.0t at all costs. its the base model car with low options. the engine is underpowered, it physically moves the car, but that's it.

if you ever plan on modding the Q50, just buy the newest Sport you can. the 18+ Sports require the performance package to get big brakes which is completely asinine. if its a 18+ sport and youre unsure about brake size, just look for flappy paddles. you cant get one without the other. no paddles, no big brakes. such a dick move by infiniti imo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the Q50 market is weird. a quick check on cars.com shows that the 2014/5 cars are priced very close to the 16-18 cars, and those cars generally have less miles. the Sport models are anywhere from $0 to $3000 more than the other versions. again, the Sports generally have the same options and were usually fully loaded compared to the other models. anything under Sport trim and you start giving up important things. its pretty obvious that the Q50 was designed (as most cars) to be had as the Red Sport first, and the Sport is the same car minus 100hp. anything under Sport has cheaper interior and thats why you see people complain so much. bunch of young people scrimping and saving, thinking this will be their first "expensive" car but they get the base model and complain about it.

the hybrid is fine. it can also be had as a sport version with big brakes. for that car, i would 100% recommend Sport trim because that is the heaviest version of the Q50 you can get. its over 4100lbs. also, while the hybrid is model fuel efficient, its not that large of a difference depending on how you drive. the difference is about 2-4mpg city and the same hwy. for reference, 50/50 mix in my RWD Sport 3.0t, i avg 24mpg. on the highway, traveling light, i avg 32mpg. traveling, 3ppl plus luggage for a week vacation, i avg'd 30mpg over 500 miles. the hybrid will be slightly better but not unbelievably so.

avoid the 2.0t at all costs. its the base model car with low options. the engine is underpowered, it physically moves the car, but that's it.

if you ever plan on modding the Q50, just buy the newest Sport you can. the 18+ Sports require the performance package to get big brakes which is completely asinine. if its a 18+ sport and youre unsure about brake size, just look for flappy paddles. you cant get one without the other. no paddles, no big brakes. such a dick move by infiniti imo.
I appreciate your input Blitz.

To be honest, when i started my use car search last month my priority was/is the 2012+ G37X sedan however the market for ones with less then 100,000 km is very small here in Canada. Which makes me think WHY? Are they better cars and being held long term by it's owners?

I didnt pull the trigger on a good 2012 G37x 2 weeks and the owner sold it the day I test drove it.

So my next on the list is the Q50, and here I am.

Im a family man but enjoy subtle mods like suspension and wheels and these 2 vehicles attract me in terms of their used price points and the fact that it's an Infiniti (and while i've never owned one I have always wanted to).

Have you heard of rust being an issue for the Q50s especially in winter states/cities?

·
Registered
201 Posts
i have not, but i dont live up north anymore. any car up there is going to rust regardless of make as im sure youre aware. i guess the real question is: how long does it last before it gets too rusty? lol. without personal experience, i would venture to say that its no worse than any other car. its not a 90s dodge ram, i can tell you that. lol.

anyone whos under 5'7" will find the Q50 rear seat area plenty roomy. im 6/1" and i can sit behind my drivers seat without adjusting it but its tight. i do have long arms for my height so seat back angle may be difference than other people. the Q50 sacrificed a bit of trunk space for more interior room, im glad they did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats your opinion (or any other members here) on a 2014 Q50 vs 2015 Q50?

I've spotted a 2014 Q50 awd Sport but "think" i saw comments about 2014/2015 differences and preferences when buying used. I just can't recall what the comments were...

·
Registered
2015 Q50S Premium AWD Hybrid
57 Posts
Just as im typing this i see another comment to consider Hybrid 2014 model....choices.
If you are looking at space for a child seat, I'm guessing you may need some boot (trunk or whatever you guys call it) space? be aware of the reduced volume in the hybrid, there is a big battery pack behind the back seats which limits boot space..

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Whats your opinion (or any other members here) on a 2014 Q50 vs 2015 Q50?

I've spotted a 2014 Q50 awd Sport but "think" i saw comments about 2014/2015 differences and preferences when buying used. I just can't recall what the comments were...
The 2015 models are preferred over 2014 because the infotainment was very slow on 2014 models unless you had a full tech package spec car.

Reactions: q50howdy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are looking at space for a child seat, I'm guessing you may need some boot (trunk or whatever you guys call it) space? be aware of the reduced volume in the hybrid, there is a big battery pack behind the back seats which limits boot space..
Thanks.

I noticed you have a hybrid! Are you able to fit a "normal" sized stroller in the trunk and any small bags along with it?

·
Registered
2014 3.7, 14 Hybrid S, 17 Silver sport, 17 Red Sport, now 18 Signature.
2,089 Posts
Good to know, thank you!
I've had two 14, the base, and the Hybrid S, you are not going to find many under 130k, they are reliable, the Hybrid you will be able to put a stroller, the battery has a warranty of 8 years and if I remember 160K. I didn't find the infotainment to be slow. The price would be 15-18k, if you want to mod a bit look at a 17 3tt, for 23-25k.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had two 14, the base, and the Hybrid S, you are not going to find many under 130k, they are reliable, the Hybrid you will be able to put a stroller, the battery has a warranty of 8 years and if I remember 160K. I didn't find the infotainment to be slow. The price would be 15-18k, if you want to mod a bit look at a 17 3tt, for 23-25k.
Good to know your infotainment was NOT slow.

However even if it is, is there an option to speed it up or make it run better?

So im looking at a 2014 Q50 Sport....does that mean it comes with smaller brakes compared to the newer model sports?

What do you mean "3tt"?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,166 Posts
What do you mean "3tt"?

Thank you
Short hand for VR30DDTT engine family. The 3.0 liter twin turbo V6. I believe the 2014 had a naturally aspirated 3.7 liter V6.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Registered
2015 Q50S Premium AWD Hybrid
57 Posts
I noticed you have a hybrid! Are you able to fit a "normal" sized stroller in the trunk and any small bags along with it?
Good question, I have never tried. The main difference with the non-hybrid version is the depth. The width and height are the same. The largest item I have put in there is my son's bass guitar, which fits fine.
Looks like someone above has mentioned they can.

·
Registered
2014 3.7, 14 Hybrid S, 17 Silver sport, 17 Red Sport, now 18 Signature.
2,089 Posts
Good to know your infotainment was NOT slow.

However even if it is, is there an option to speed it up or make it run better?

So im looking at a 2014 Q50 Sport....does that mean it comes with smaller brakes compared to the newer model sports?

What do you mean "3tt"?

Thank you
The Q50S, does come with the sport brakes, and as Pillboy said about the 3t. I don't think there was an update, and like I said I didn't find it slow.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The Q50S, does come with the sport brakes, and as Pillboy said about the 3t. I don't think there was an update, and like I said I didn't find it slow.
To be clear, the 2014 non-full Tech package infotainment screen is slower than the 2015+ or full tech package 2014 versions. There were common complaints about the unit taking too long to startup, slow to load the camera view when shifting to reverse, etc... I suggest the OP do a search on the forums and will likely find discussions about this topic. It may not be an issue to the OP, but should be aware of the difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be clear, the 2014 non-full Tech package infotainment screen is slower than the 2015+ or full tech package 2014 versions. There were common complaints about the unit taking too long to startup, slow to load the camera view when shifting to reverse, etc... I suggest the OP do a search on the forums and will likely find discussions about this topic. It may not be an issue to the OP, but should be aware of the difference.
thanks.

im looking at a 2014 and turns out the seller said his infotainment is slow on start up but doesnt seem to know if there is a fix.

is there a fix to this issue?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts