Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my car after it spent a week at my Infiniti dealer with a myriad of repairs and components to be replaced as directed by the Infiniti corporate tech/engineer who came in to assess the many problems I've been having with the car since I picked it up on 8/31.

And I have been having a LOT of problem. From the garden variety InTouch lockups and weirdness and disappearing nav, to "key ID error" messages where the car wouldn't start, and the more serious like steering that would randomly pull left or right on the highway or abrupt, unexplained braking.

I documented everything and gave detailed descriptions and even videos or photos where possible.

While they couldn't diagnose or duplicate everything I was experiencing, they found a number of issues they felt could cause much of it and under the direction of the gentleman from Infiniti corporate they replaced a whole bunch of components and fixed faulty grounds, etc.

They also applied a new software update that is being released tomorrow to address a recall for the steering (tomorrow too?) as I described in this thread (http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/ne...-new-software-coming-das-steering-issues.html)

I went to get my car today and was very excited to get it back. It is beautiful (I was driving a Black Q50 which just isn't as nice as my silver). I drove it a bit, but it was rush hour so I couldn't really assess if my pretty serious driveability issues have improved--or what difference, if any, there was from the new steering software.

Most of my settings were reverted to default with the repairs they made, so I had to do some reprogramming before I left the dealer. In doing so, I noticed that no matter how many times I toggled the setting on and off, my seat and wheel wouldn't go to the exit position when leaving the car. Odd enough.

I got home and pulled into my garage, just in time for an InTouch lockup. Turned the car off and headed inside to see my wife and our 6 month old. As I was walking away, even though the car was off and locked, I noticed the "No Key" error message displaying in the center display--and a chime beeping inside.

Both key fobs were in the car when I drove home from the dealer, so I thought maybe the system was confused. Brought my extra key inside and put it away and came back out. I tried everything--turned intelligent key on and off, changed users, restarted, locked, unlocked the car probably 10 times. The "no key" message remains no matter what--and the exit position function isn't working, although at this point that's a footnote.

I went out an hour later. The car was locked, off, and the "No key" message is still displaying. Tried everything again. No dice. Forgot to mention: Another InTouch issue this round; all the apps/icons on the screen (all the screens) disappeared.

I'm going out of the country for 5 days tomorrow and at this point expect it is likely I will be returning to a dead battery because that screen will not go off and I believe the chime is still sounding. I reached out to my service manager and Infiniti corporate to express my severe, profound displeasure.

Perhaps they will come get to the car while I am away, since my wife refuses to drive it herself after seeing and feeling the steering develop a mind of its own on the highway. Our son going in the car is out of the question.

I would prefer that they never bring it back if they do come get it.

This is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I'd take Andrew's advice if I were you. The headache for you and your family needs to end. I'm saddened by this because it sounds like you really want to love the car. Yes, it's beautiful, but at what cost? I'm one heck of an Infiniti die-hard, but if I had your car's issues, I'd toss it and put a deposit on that sexy new C-class that's coming this summer like yesterday.

·
Registered
982 Posts
No. Car is in park. I have gone in and out of park countless times as I have tried to get it to stop. This car is a technological nightmare. I just went out to the garage and it is still on.
Wow, that bs. The lexus IS turns itself off when it detects low battery.

I was setting up my stations and playing with the settings when I got a message on the nav screen saying power will go off to conserve battery,

Something like that.

No way to turn it off manually?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Does holding down the reset button for InTouch help?

Or it's pretty much bricked since it can't find your key?

Oh ye.. you can take out the manual key from the fob.
Maybe that will get it started and reset things?

It's probably just going to be more of a pain if your battery drains and you have to jump start it to move it.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Does holding down the reset button for InTouch help?

Or it's pretty much bricked since it can't find your key?

Oh ye.. you can take out the manual key from the fob.
Maybe that will get it started and reset things?

It's probably just going to be more of a pain if your battery drains and you have to jump start it to move it.
How would that key start the car? Did Infiniti change the start button design so that there is an actual mechanical key ignition underneath like in a Mercedes?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh the car will start just fine. The problem is that when I turn it off the car says there is no key even when the door is locked, car off, parked, etc. According the notes on the paperwork they gave me they did something per a TSB regarding the Key ID Error message I was getting that was causing the car to periodically not start until multiple attempts. Maybe that broke something. Who knows?

I don't think the key system here is InTouch. In any event, I am done fussing with it at least for tonight if not forever. I spent the better part of an hour in the garage trying to get this to stop when I should have been inside spending time with my wife and son before I go away on a business trip.

The service manager, who is a really nice guy, emailed me a little while ago and said they will come get it tomorrow. I hope they keep it. I wish I had my TL back.

This is, by far, the worst new car experience I have ever had. It may be the worst consumer product experience I have had.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have never tried it.
What they told me is take your key out of the fob, hold it next to the start button, and push start.
Or it was something along that line.

I know that sounds strange.. but there is no key hole.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
If you had a TL, then it sucks to go from such a bullet-proof car to this mess. A close friend of mine still has his 2004 TL 6-MT, and still speaks highly of it. The G37 had TL-like reliability. It stood up really well to any Acura or Lexus. Why now, do we get something that more closely resembles an early-2000s BMW? Something is not right here with Nissan/Infiniti.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
And you're right. I do want to love this car. But, the technology is far from ready for prime time.
It sounds like something is seriously just f'd up with your car. :(
Start talking to the dealer about returning it.
If they give you crap, go find a lemon law lawyer who doesn't charge until your settled.
If your car is a lemon, infiniti has to pay your lawyer fee's if you have to go the route of getting a lawyer.

If everyone's car was this bad, this forum would be exploding with complaints.

I've had zero issue's with my q50 hybrid aside from the usual gripes like Intouch is slow to load.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have never tried it.
What they told me is take your key out of the fob, hold it next to the start button, and push start.
Or it was something along that line.

I know that sounds strange.. but there is no key hole.
Andrew
That's what you do if the battery in the key fob is dead and you need to start the car. It was the same procedure as in my prior Lexus. Doesn't sound like that is the problem that Mike is having since he is able to start the - he just can't properly turn the thing off

Orrin

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought this car because of the new tech. But, it is a mess.
Mike
I'd start reviewing the lemon laws in your region. I've had my Q50 hybrid since August and it was one of the first production run cars (may assembly). Aside from some initial InTouch freezes the vehicle has been very reliable so far and really nice to drive. Nothing like the issues you are having. Very sorry about your situation.

Orrin

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am excited to report that I just went out to check the car before getting picked up to head to the airport, and the next morning "No Key Detected" is still displaying in the dash.

How long before the battery is dead? And do I care? I may just push the car out into the road.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am excited to report that I just went out to check the car before getting picked up to head to the airport, and the next morning "No Key Detected" is still displaying in the dash.

How long before the battery is dead? And do I care? I may just push the car out into the road.
Lol.... I hate your having these difficulties. I think I would be pretty PO'd too. Mine had been flawless (knock on wood) but I don't have any of the extra nannies. You may want to get in contact with a good Lemon Law Attorney and see what could be done.

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that there are 1,000's of these cars on the road and 99% of them probably experience few or no problems (other than inTouch). Anyone who has an issue with the car is more than likely to be vocal and express their negative experiences on an online car forum. ... I know I would. :D

Generally it's never a good idea to buy a first year model due to bugs... Normally year two and on fixes most of the bugs and issues.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

You left the car on overnight?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.