Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I'm getting a auto start installed in my car this Wednesday . Will this jeopardize the warranty in anyway ? Just curious
It depends on how the auto/remote start is installed.
If the install doesn't change OEM configuration then there won't be any impact on the warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Can you give us some feedback on this please? I'm still looking for a remote start solution.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What was the cost and please post your experience with the upgrade. I'm. Looking at them also.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It has been my experience over the years that any previously installed electronic device that required modification to a harness may jeopardize that warranty of the vehicle. In order to start these cars several signals need to be sent over the network to verify the key and initiate the start procedure. I will leave it at, I have seen some things and would advise against it, but I do sympathize with those in cold climates.

If one of the modules associated with the kit install stops working properly and either corrupts or damages the ability of another module or network leg to properly function one of the first questions that will be asked is, are there any aftermarket add-ons and harness modifications on the vehicle.

To those who were assured that the install would not alter the warranty coverage I would strongly suggest getting that in writing. Also ask them to clarify if that only applies to that service facility or all service facilities.

caveat emptor

·
Registered
187 Posts
It has been my experience over the years that any previously installed electronic device that required modification to a harness may jeopardize that warranty of the vehicle. In order to start these cars several signals need to be sent over the network to verify the key and initiate the start procedure. I will leave it at, I have seen some things and would advise against it, but I do sympathize with those in cold climates.

caveat emptor
I thought I saw someone here with a dealer installed one... Is this a dealer install option.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I thought I saw someone here with a dealer installed one... Is this a dealer install option.
You did. Unfortunately, the dealer was not forthcoming with what was installed.

If I remember correctly, it was a dealer in Florida (Just corrected below - the dealer was on Long Island)

I would guess since the original poster is concerned about the warranty, that it is not a dealer install.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I really do wish there was a factory or dealer installed option. Unfortunately there is not. I would suspect if demand was high enough they will make one. It would make the boot time much more tolerable.

Dealerships are allowed to sell a variety of products, services, warranties that are not directly affiliated with Infiniti.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
StevetheTech,

Do you know what the solution is that the user from Long Island says his dealership installed that uses the Infiniti keyfob?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Steve...

Do you know what the solution is that the user from Long Island says his dealership installed that uses the Infiniti keyfob?
You know as well as I do that dealers are allowed in many states to sell many add on products. It would appear that his dealer sells remote starters. It is fairly easy with many aftermarket units to program the frequency of the key to operate the remote start function. Personally I question the safety of those systems but they do work.

If it were an actual Infiniti system the Key fob would look like the QX60 or QX80 remotes and have a two step activation process.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
OK. That's sorta what I figured. It would be interesting to take the keyfob from a QX60 or QX80 and use that. Those look like they have an extra antenna in them and probably have a bit more range (based on my parking lot experience, they have almost 2x the range).

·
Registered
309 Posts
They really do have a very decent range on the new ones. Gotta love those super loud horns too, usually pretty easy to spot locate them on the lot.

I do not think those models operate on the same frequency and I know they use separate computers. They use a sub function of the bcm to control the RES (Remote Engine Start) function. I know on the 12 models it was a JDM option only(...I've tried to order one for my car and cannot). For the Q I have not had one I could play with but I suspect since there are no dealer installed RES fobs it is not an option on the '14.

To the best of my knowledge the QX80 is the only model made in Japan that has that option, right now.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unrelated side note. I tried that trick you mentioned when drilling spoilers recently and it worked wonders...no fishing!!!

Thank your tech for me when you get a chance, kudos on the awesome trick. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.