Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up everyone. Check out the q50 after my homie and I installed black dimpled rotors on his 2017 3.0t.
If you guys need install help, refer to the full video on my Youtube channel. Let me know your thoughts, and join my team if you guys enjoy. 💪🏽💯

link to full vid:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
5,248 Posts
They won't stay black where the pads meet the rotor, is that right? Did you state the brand of rotors or where to buy them?

Reactions: jordaan.caastro

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 Silver Sport VR30DDTT
351 Posts
They won't stay black where the pads meet the rotor, is that right? Did you state the brand of rotors or where to buy them?
I got a set of dimpled and slotted rotors with a black corrosion resistant coating from SP Performance. The black does not stay on the face where it meets the brake pads, but does stay on everywhere else. Pretty good in regions like mine where the DOT salts the s**t out of our roads.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Correct. Brake Performance fam. Link to their site is in the video description.
You could have linked it here, but then I guess you wouldn't make that little bit of commission that you would make if someone followed your link on YouTube and purchased.

I think i'm going Z1 2-piece rotors which not only look better but they also save a pretty decent amount of weight. But these are probably good on a budget. I'm not one to try to cut costs on something as critical as brakes. lol

Reactions: jodedor and Batell

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
You could have linked it here, but then I guess you wouldn't make that little bit of commission that you would make if someone followed your link on YouTube and purchased.

I think i'm going Z1 2-piece rotors which not only look better but they also save a pretty decent amount of weight. But these are probably good on a budget. I'm not one to try to cut costs on something as critical as brakes. lol
I've had the Z1 2-piece rotors for about a couple years now. I bought the drilled and slotted option. Great rotors that are spendy, however they can be rebuilt for a lot less money. No rust, which here on the Oregon coast is a problem. These get the Avedis53 Seal of Approval.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
647 Posts
I've had the Z1 2-piece rotors for about a couple years now. I bought the drilled and slotted option. Great rotors that are spendy, however they can be rebuilt for a lot less money. No rust, which here on the Oregon coast is a problem. These get the Avedis53 Seal of Approval.
The rebuildability (if that’s word) and the average service life of a BBK/2pc rotor is something a lot of people forget or don’t factor into long term ownership cost. Less frequent replacements and being relatively cheap once needing to replace can make the expensive upfront cost worth it and even out over time. Especially if tracking or frequent abuse. Not to mention all the performance benefits on top of it. And Avedis53 seal of approval has got to add like 20pts.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
The rebuildability (if that’s word) and the average service life of a BBK/2pc rotor is something a lot of people forget or don’t factor into long term ownership cost. Less frequent replacements and being relatively cheap once needing to replace can make the expensive upfront cost worth it and even out over time. Not to mention all the performance benefits on top of it. And Avedis53 seal of approval has got to add like 20pts.
Is that all?

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
647 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,248 Posts
No one's buying these for long term cost savings. Be honest. Looks first, weight reduction second.

$1148 initially + $338 Front + $338 Rear for your first rebuild kit can pay for over 4 sets of Z1 Front/Rear $198/$198 one-piece drilled and slotted performance rotors.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
647 Posts
No one's buying these for long term cost savings. Be honest. Looks first, weight reduction second.

$1148 initially + $338 Front + $338 Rear for your first rebuild kit can pay for over 4 sets of Z1 Front/Rear $198/$198 one-piece drilled and slotted performance rotors.
True. performance, looks, weight are primary reasons people buy, but thats partially my point people don’t consider cost isn’t as crazy long term as people may think.

A quality BBK can last as much 7 times longer on a track vs a generic 1 pc rotor. To be fair the less you stress them (non track) the less lifespan difference you’ll experience . But regardless in any circumstances you aren’t replacing them at nearly the same rate. So the cost difference isn’t as big as it initially seems when buying it from the start.

At least you can tell you’re significant other this to justify why you absolutely must have this new car part.

·
Super Moderator
5,248 Posts
True. performance, looks, weight are primary reasons people buy, but thats partially my point people don’t consider cost isn’t as crazy long term as people may think.

A quality BBK can last as much 7 times longer on a track vs a generic 1 pc rotor. To be fair the less you stress them (non track) the less lifespan difference you’ll experience . But regardless in any circumstances you aren’t replacing them at nearly the same rate. So the cost difference isn’t as big as it initially seems when buying it from the start.

At least you can tell you’re significant other this to justify why you absolutely must have this new car part.
I see. I actually didn't know BBK rotors last longer. Makes sense though.

Looks, weight reduction/performance, signature gasconade. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts

If you were comparing apples to apples perhaps but the design and build quality of the 2-piece rotors vs. those BPI-brand machined blanks is substantial.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts

My review: They are good, but not amazing or ground-breaking. Still has the brake fade, if you are really gunning it. I was racing in Mexico with a GTR and we had to stop twice from 140+ to 0 within few minutes and I basically slid through a light which luckily was empty.

SP Performance

Reactions: gSwift

·
Super Moderator
5,248 Posts
If you were comparing apples to apples perhaps but the design and build quality of the 2-piece rotors vs. those BPI-brand machined blanks is substantial.
Understood. We know the many virtues of the 2-piece rotors. I'm just saying no one buys these to save money on rotor purchases in the long run. I wouldn't know how to calculate the point of return on your investment but I would bet it's beyond the average car ownership period.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
Understood. We know the many virtues of the 2-piece rotors. I'm just saying no one buys these to save money on rotor purchases in the long run. I wouldn't know how to calculate the point of return on your investment but I would bet it's beyond the average car ownership period.
I bought them because they look cool...and are lighter weight. If I cared about the money, I wouldn't do any mods on the car.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
647 Posts
Not counting more extreme situation primarily tracking, but also spirited driving, canyons, hwy pulls/high speeds stops where heat is a big factor in wear and in favor for the BBK making the BBK last that much longer.

For typical casual daily driving where heat really isn’t a factor. Then if the the vehicle weight and speed / momentum / force to stop are the same, and pad compound is the same, then the brake rotors should wear relevant to and proportionate to the mass of the braking band or ring. IE if one is 20% greater it should last 20% longer.

I know the z1 2pc is lighter but is the braking band/ring actually greater mass or less mass?

Reactions: Batell

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,844 Posts
My review: They are good, but not amazing or ground-breaking. Still has the brake fade, if you are really gunning it. I was racing in Mexico with a GTR and we had to stop twice from 140+ to 0 within few minutes and I basically slid through a light which luckily was empty.

SP Performance
Brake fade is a function of the pad composition, not the rotors. Pads are designed to work up to a certain temperature. Exceed that temperature and the components in the pad melt and lubricate the rotor. Gases can be generated from heating the pad material and that gaseous layer also reduces friction. Cross-drilling and slots help control heat and removal of pad material and gases but won't eliminate fade if you exceed the recommended temperature limit of the pads. Cross-drilled rotors typically aren't recommended for track use because the high heat can cause stress-cracking around the holes. Higher quality cross-drilled rotors are heat-treated and stress relieved as well as chamfering the holes to inhibit stress cracking which Z1 does.

If you're going to street race and put that kind of stress on your pads, you might consider a higher temperature pad than what you currently have.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Brake fade is a function of the pad composition, not the rotors. Pads are designed to work up to a certain temperature. Exceed that temperature and the components in the pad melt and lubricate the rotor. Gases can be generated from heating the pad material and that gaseous layer also reduces friction. Cross-drilling and slots help control heat and removal of pad material and gases but won't eliminate fade if you exceed the recommended temperature limit of the pads. Cross-drilled rotors typically aren't recommended for track use because the high heat can cause stress-cracking around the holes. Higher quality cross-drilled rotors are heat-treated and stress relieved as well as chamfering the holes to inhibit stress cracking which Z1 does.

If you're going to street race and put that kind of stress on your pads, you might consider a higher temperature pad than what you currently have.
I do not solely blame it on the the rotors, But the rotors warped and had heat markings on it. I cannot seem to find a pad that suits me, having already tried 4 different pads/rotors.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts