Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's has absolutely nothing to do with what you originally posted. If you think what you said is positive, you need to learn how to communicate. Your mental dissonance is showing. At least admit you're being a tool lol
Says the guy with a wrx and doesnt have even 10h in the “comunity”. You are the perfect example of what im talking about. You can talk all the smack u want, i still pay no mind to it.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,073 Posts
Hey guys!

In the market for a slightly used red 400 awd, and I wanted to pick your brains about the aftermarket capabilities. How much power can the stock block reliably run? How much power can the transmission reliably run? How much investment would I want to get to 500 or 600 whp without cutting corners? Last but not least, what are the general weak links of this platform and what should I look out for when purchasing?

Thank you!
Stock block - TBD but 600wtq seems like it isn’t out of the question with decent reliability
Stock Trans - 500wtq seems to have decent reliability.

To hit 500whp you will need FBO + fuel system (LPFP, HPFP, Injectors) and E85

weak link is heat exchanger and heat soak with the stock air to water system. also the turbos are smaller and max out at about 500whp.

Ways to help improve heatsoak - larger heat exchanger, 2nd water pump (RS already has), larger reservoir, 2nd reservoir, water meth injection, and killerchiller/interchiller.

Turbos have pure and R/T, with dropbear releasing a 3rd bigger option soon. AMS might also have an ootion on special order. The two current main options Pure and R/T with FBO/E85 max around 6-650whp.

You will want/need a built trans for aftermarket turbos. a few options out now. Level10 is one but they have mixed reviews across several platforms…seems people going for big power are switching over to Pure Drivetrain Solutions (PDS)

Aftermarket support is pretty big, lots of upgrades, parts, options etc… platform is capable of some good power with reasonable reliability. You can get about 430-450whp reasonably cheap. Adds up exponentially beyond that but money is the limit to max potential really.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX MT in WRB
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Says the guy with a wrx and doesnt have even 10h in the “comunity”. You are the perfect example of what im talking about. You can talk all the smack u want, i still pay no mind to it.
You obviously paid me enough mind to respond back lol. Keep watching your gate. Some other "poor" Subaru owner may slip in if you don't keep refreshing your browser lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Awesome, thanks for all the info. It's nice to be looking at a reliable platform finally (Subaru owner lol) From reading this and watching a couple vids, 500 will probably be my first goal if I get one of these.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You obviously paid me enough mind to respond back lol. Keep watching your gate. Some other "poor" Subaru owner may slip in if you don't keep refreshing your browser lol
Im going to open an account in a subaru forum next, and im going to start talking smack to the regular users just like you in here. I believe this was your first post in here. Nice

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Stock block - TBD but 600wtq seems like it isn’t out of the question with decent reliability
Stock Trans - 500wtq seems to have decent reliability.

To hit 500whp you will need FBO + fuel system (LPFP, HPFP, Injectors) and E85

weak link is heat exchanger and heat soak with the stock air to water system. also the turbos are smaller and max out at about 500whp.

Ways to help improve heatsoak - larger heat exchanger, 2nd water pump (RS already has), larger reservoir, 2nd reservoir, water meth injection, and killerchiller/interchiller.

Turbos have pure and R/T, with dropbear releasing a 3rd bigger option soon. AMS might also have an ootion on special order. The two current main options Pure and R/T with FBO/E85 max around 6-650whp.

You will want/need a built trans for aftermarket turbos. a few options out now. Level10 is one but they have mixed reviews across several platforms…seems people going for big power are switching over to Pure Drivetrain Solutions (PDS)

Aftermarket support is pretty big, lots of upgrades, parts, options etc… platform is capable of some good power with reasonable reliability. You can get about 430-450whp reasonably cheap. Adds up exponentially beyond that but money is the limit to max potential really.
Thanks man, I appreciate all the info.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,256 Posts
Why are we being so pi$$y in this thread? The new guy didn't come in here slinging $h!t at respected forum members like some have in the past.

Someone here wouldn't last long on some Subaru forums, and Infiniti can only dream about Subaru sales figures.

I respect someone joining a forum to get advice before they take the plunge on buying a specific car. If I were to wander in here and read everything, I probably wouldn't buy a Q50 again, even though I know car forums attract people experiencing issues.

FFS, it seems like middle school in here sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,305 Posts
Im going to open an account in a subaru forum next, and im going to start talking smack to the regular users just like you in here. I believe this was your first post in here. Nice
Ok...I've heard enough. Your behavior was uncalled for. Let this go.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,803 Posts
Also the Level 10 transmission upgrade is a good idea if you go over 450 hp 450 tq. They found signs of overheating in mine at 425 hp. Put in a higher volume pump along with there other goodies.

Reactions: Tg12017

·
Registered
386 Posts
That is not good news about the trans. That barely above RedSport stock with a JB4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There maybe another trans option soon. The 400Z is going to have a Mercedes sourced 9-speed auto or 6speed manual and a VR30 engine. Since those two trans will already be set up to work with the engine, I can’t imagine a swap would be difficult. More so, it wouldn’t make sense to put that Mercedes auto in the Z and not carry it over to the Q for future generations. Perhaps waiting for a 2022 or 2023 could be an option for the OP.

Reactions: Batell and Tg12017

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, MBRP Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
445 Posts
That 9 Speed is going in the new QX60 coming out in September so I do agree with you on that, it will be introduced in later model Infiniti Sports sedan I'm sure if they decide to make another one. For the past few years, all I have heard about is Infiniti's direction towards electric cars. They will offer three different types (You can watch on youtube if interested, i'd butcher it), so IMO I think Infiniti will sell the Q50 one more year as is and then start producing the electric models. Started with talking about transmissions and ended on gas/electric motors, the 9 speed will be a viable option on either lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
There maybe another trans option soon. The 400Z is going to have a Mercedes sourced 9-speed auto or 6speed manual and a VR30 engine. Since those two trans will already be set up to work with the engine, I can’t imagine a swap would be difficult. More so, it wouldn’t make sense to put that Mercedes auto in the Z and not carry it over to the Q for future generations. Perhaps waiting for a 2022 or 2023 could be an option for the OP.
I was planning on making a move in the next month or two, but I guess that's also a possibility.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok...I've heard enough. Your behavior was uncalled for. Let this go.
Like i already said: its all positive as long as it clears doubts and motivates others on their builds.

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
156 Posts
Most tuners tend to keep TQ around 500 to help the transmission live it seems. 600 would need turbo upgrades and is also when you would start thinking about internal engine upgrades. Seem to be a lot of folks around 500HP on the stock turbos, like someone else said you just need upgrade fueling components to handle E85. My car is at 468 on an E30 mix with a handful of mods.

Reactions: Tg12017

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,305 Posts
Like i already said: its all positive as long as it clears doubts and motivates others on their builds.
I have no idea what you mean by that statement but this one you edited out is what I take exception to as well as your other posts here.

"As a owner its already aggravating the amount of scammers on here. We also get a lot of new people here talking about the car of their “Dreamz” and all the mods that they want to buy for their car when they buy it."

Reactions: Q60NH

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't understand this statement. You making it again doesn't clear it up. I don't want to continue the conversation here but just know that nobody understands the relevance of your statement.

Reactions: Pillboy and Tg12017

·
Registered
2021 STI
10 Posts
OP: is your wrx a manual? If so, you may miss it. I just recently sold my ‘19 Red Sport and got a 2021 STI. Missed the manual Too much..the paddle shifts just aren’t as fun. My location requires AWD....AWD manual options are limited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
OP: is your wrx a manual? If so, you may miss it. I just recently sold my ‘19 Red Sport and got a 2021 STI. Missed the manual Too much..the paddle shifts just aren’t as fun. My location requires AWD....AWD manual options are limited.
Yeah, it is. A new sti is another option I'm looking at actually. But, this platform offers big power for pretty good reliability, and I don't think I could leave an sti stock lol. I have enjoyed my wrx for what it is, but I think I'm ready to move on now.

And same lol. I live in Colorado and awd is very nice for those blizzards.

We'll see man. My wrx is actually the first enthusiast car I've owned and I will miss the manual, but we'll see if I miss it enough to get an sti lol.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,305 Posts
Did you get the STI short throw shifter option? My son's WRX had that and I liked it when I drove the car. He traded his '19 WRX for a Lapis Blue Pearl '21 STI with the full factory front, side, and rear under spoilers plus the vortex generator on the rear of the roof. He got the short throw shifter option too. He says he's going to sell the rear wing on the trunk though.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts