Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Beautiful !! Thanks for the pic. So this is the eBay one? From the angle I can’t tell completely but it looks maybe a little more pronounced than the OEM one? I like that. The spoilerexpress.com version is supposed to be Oem

·
Registered
384 Posts
Heres a few other pics

As stated, I bought mine from eBay, seller was The Spoiler Store. It was shipped from Illnois USA but most likely they order from China/Taiwan anyway. Provide them a paint code and they paint match it, but in my case, Majestic White is very hard to match without painting it next to car, and the spoiler arrived painted color was WAY off, it was a greyish white with too much blue pearls in it. Luckily I had to go in for warranty work on my trunk lid rusting so the bodyshop paint matched the spoiler along with re-painting my trunk lid so paint matched end of day.

Also attached a picture of the one that arrived not paint matched so you can see how off the color was.

As for install, I watched and followed this video. Very important tip is how they peeled only a little bit of the tape exposed, position and then started peeling when spoiler was on the car. Cause if you peel it all off and you **** up, you cannot reposition it again and it requires full removal and re-install again.

But yes, clean your trunk lid, dry it, you can use the alcohol you suggested to make sure surface is totally clean, I even used Adhesion Promoter on the spoiler itself where the tape would be on it. I used an entire roll of 3M Super Strength Moulding Tape. I had tape on every single area of the spoiler, It was overkill sure but I wanted to make sure that sucker doesn't fly off on the highway. Better safe than sorry. Roll of tape is $8. New spoiler and paint is $150+ so $8 insurance is worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
My apologies guys! I mislabeled the title. But you all figured it out. Thanks for all the replies. I am going to order one. I just saw someone mention eBay, but also on this forum people swear by spoilerexpress.com? They come painted, hopefully a close match. Any tips on how to prep? Obviously clean the area of install, maybe wipe down with alcohol /water solution?
You definitely need to remove wax and dirt by using a cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol will remove wax the best and is cheap. Use it straight out of the bottle (70% or greater).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ok, it should read rear lip spoiler...or rear deck spoiler. A rose by any other name smells just as sweet.
A rear lip spoiler would be at the bottom of the rear bumper cover.

Any other name? What if one called it a daffodil? ;)

·
Registered
5,221 Posts

Aren't you referring to the rear diffuser? Most all of the advertisements refer to them as rear lip spoilers.

·
Registered
384 Posts

LOL

Okay.

Front bumper lip = front splitter
Rear bumper lip = rear diffuser
Trunk lid lip = trunk spoiler
Side mouldings = side skirts

This thread is triggering my tourettes

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
IMO:
I would call a front lower ground effect / spoiler a lip spoiler or front lip spoiler. Splitter works I guess. But I think a splitter is a specific design. You hear chin spoiler sometimes.

Side ground effects would be side skirts. You hear rocker panels sometimes.

Rear trunk deck spoiler would be trunk spoiler or a decklid spoiler, never heard the term lip used to describe a trunk spoiler. Even just the word spoiler by itself pretty much universally means trunk spoiler. The term wing is used too.

Rear lower bumper cover ground effects would be called ...hhhmmmm.... simply rear ground effects, I guess? A diffuser is a very specific design, I don't think it covers all rear ground effects. Here is an example of Duraflex calling their lower rear body pieces 'rear bumper lips'. https://www.duraflexbodykits.com/makemodelyear/?make=1681&model=3702&startyear=1563&manufacturer=2993

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey guys. A little update. I will post pics shortly.

Ended up having a body shop putting it on, and it looks a little weird. This is actually the “oem” copy of Infiniti’s spoiler for this car. The ones you guys posted look pretty awesome but a little more aftermarket.

Is there anyone who has a stock spoiler on the car from the factory and can post a top down pic? The way this one goes on almost looks flush from the top down

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey guys. A little update. I will post pics shortly.

Ended up having a body shop putting it on, and it looks a little weird. This is actually the “oem” copy of Infiniti’s spoiler for this car. The ones you guys posted look pretty awesome but a little more aftermarket.

Is there anyone who has a stock spoiler on the car from the factory and can post a top down pic? The way this one goes on almost looks flush from the top down

@djrice123

21 - 30 of 30 Posts