Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

I have had terrible experiences with Fram oil filters. Not once but twice! Shame on me. If in doubt you will never get hurt with OEM parts.
Agree on Fram Oil Filters
I would never use those, I prefer Mobil1 or PureOne - anything with metal valve and synthetic filter (I have not tried Fram extended performance, but heard it is not bad as well)

As for air filter - Fram fit is good and after replacing "winter" air filters - it definitely improves things

Just back from my garage - installed 2 Fram air filters (had to unscrew air intake hoses for ease of install) - fit is perfect, look more sturdy than OEM (with additional frame over back to prevent paper from being squeezed during install)

ANd ...fuuny - I forgot that I DID buy Fram synthetic oil filter ...contradicted myself - will see how it'll work out http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNX79RA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Agree on Fram Oil Filters
I would never use those, I prefer Mobil1 or PureOne - anything with metal valve and synthetic filter (I have not tried Fram extended performance, but heard it is not bad as well)...
I was going to mention that I use Mobil1 oil filters exclusively for the reasons you mention but I did not want to sound like an advertisement.

Well, there. I guess I did.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Yes but a pair of K&N is about $80.
Advance Auto Parts very commonly offers a coupon for "buy more save more". I ordered these two K&N filters plus some cleaning supplies, totaled $106 plus taxes, coupon was $50 off $100, got it all for just under $60.

Check slickdeals out online or phone app. The coupon has a fairly irregular frequency showing up.

Right now you can use WD516 for $40 off $100, expires midnight est today.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Advance Auto Parts very commonly offers a coupon for "buy more save more". I ordered these two K&N filters plus some cleaning supplies, totaled $106 plus taxes, coupon was $50 off $100, got it all for just under $60.

Check slickdeals out online or phone app. The coupon has a fairly irregular frequency showing up.

Right now you can use WD516 for $40 off $100, expires midnight est today.
Please can you provide the link for K&N filter 33-5014 on advance auto parts website, their search engine is not playing well for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Infiniti Part no's are 16546-ED000 ELEMENT ASSY-AIR. I bought some already, dealer gave me a discount, and both together were $44.04 List is $38.75 each.
Someone posted "K&N is the way to go". I agree. I put one on my G35 and it increased my fuel mileage enough to notice it.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
KN is hype. Trust me.

You will most likely lose some bottom end torque and only gain perhaps 1-2 hp + a louder intake noise.

Now to play devil's advocate I've had them in every single car I have ever owned. Why? cheaper to clean them than buying new filter every time and because I have always seen a 1 or so mpg gain.

Big cons
- Filters way less so you are allowing more dirt in the engine (but have never felt the effects of this as I trade cars every 1.5 to 2 years
- If over oiled, it can soiled your MAF

What I have always done and has worked for me
- Before installing, I place the filters out in the open laying on top of newspapers so most of the factory oil it sucked right up

Ed
I agree totally. K&N may flow more air and be cheaper in the long run (depends on how much dirt gets through wearing the engine), but they DO NOT filter as well as OEM style filters. With TWO filters the same size as the ONE on a VQ35, you have PLENTY of filter area. I have used K&N on my G35 for Ten years. There is a film of black gunk every time I check the MAF. No, I am not over oiling the filter, if anything, I am UNDER oiling it. Tried it both ways.

This new car will NEVER have a K&N in it.

Reactions: Ninja and rpiotro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Purolator part # A15669 did great for me. Swapped 2 into my '14 Q50 in under 10 minutes. Fram part # CA10234 will also fit, but I prefer the construction of the Purolator filter. I do not believe that Purloator have this filter in their "PureOne" series, unfortunately, or I would have chosen that. I debated back-and-forth going with K&N filters and ultimately decided that risking the MAFs wasn't worth it for the utterly minimal (and honestly unsubstantiated) hp and mpg gain.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Purolator part # A15669 did great for me. Swapped 2 into my '14 Q50 in under 10 minutes. Fram part # CA10234 will also fit, but I prefer the construction of the Purolator filter. I do not believe that Purloator have this filter in their "PureOne" series, unfortunately, or I would have chosen that. I debated back-and-forth going with K&N filters and ultimately decided that risking the MAFs wasn't worth it for the utterly minimal (and honestly unsubstantiated) hp and mpg gain.

K&N fan bois furiously tapping on keyboards...

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am about to but a K&N air filter because my co-worker is telling me it will add (7-10 HP) to my 2016 q50 3.0t.
The car is a lease but I am looking to add more HP to it.
Is it worth it to spend the money on the K&N air filters?
would I need to order one or Two?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I am about to but a K&N air filter because my co-worker is telling me it will add (7-10 HP) to my 2016 q50 3.0t.
The car is a lease but I am looking to add more HP to it.
Is it worth it to spend the money on the K&N air filters?
would I need to order one or Two?
Snake oil. On the subject of oil on the K&N filters the oil may migrate to the MAF and cause problems.

Does that co-worker believe the OEM filters cannot handle the airflow? There are two of them after all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried K&N once before, and it surprised that it failed so soon and suddenly. so i went back to OEM, there is always right to use OEM, and DIY air filter is quite easy, even for me. so you can do it definitely following the instruction.

I found the amazon and the one website I purchased before, it seems the other one has a better price.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Niss...75&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=infinite+16546-ED000
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/p...finiti&Model=Q50&Year=2016&Submodel=&Filter=()

Hope it's helpful for you :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes he is telling me that the K&N air filters increase the airflow for the turbo better then the stock ones.
He was showing me dyno videos on youtube showing that it increases HP.
Increasing airflow is often achieved by making larger holes in the filter media, combine that with the type and viscosity of the oil used on drop in "performance" filters and you increase your risk of issues over time. This usually happens a few thousand miles after the youtube videos are shot.

Mass airflow sensors that get contaminated with oil, or oily debris most likely, are often not considered a manufacturers defect repairs. I have made a decent amount of money off these types of performance mods, and can not advise their use. This likely wouldn't void your warranty, but it may create non-warrantable check engine light or driveability concerns if it is found that a fouled MAF sensor or gummed throttle plate are the root cause of the presenting concern. Being a turbo engine there are several more possible adverse reactions that could happen.

If you do decide to go for it, don't half ass it and go with a full intake system.

·
Registered
2015 Q50S Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
For the few that have a Q50S Hybrid, I changed my engine air filters yesterday (there’s a pair of filters, one for each bank of three cylinders). Infiniti wanted $305 + tax to do the engine air filters and the cabin air filter. I paid under $40 for all three filters at the auto parts store. I used STP filter # SA10234 which comes one to a box so you have to buy two individual filters. They’re basic drop-in air filters - not high end - and do the job as they replace the OEM ones. You’ll need a flathead screwdriver to remove several plastic clips to get to the filter boxes, and a 10mm wrench to free the filter boxes enough to remove the filters. It took me 30 minutes.

I always advise against K&N drop-in filters because the oil from the filters can damage your mass airflow sensor (MAF) if you’ve over-oiled them or the factory over-oils them when new. Why take the chance? They don’t really produce more hp and the risk of MAF damage outweighs any long term savings by washing and reusing them. On my G37S Coupe 6MT I use AFE dry element drop-in replacement air filters (no oil). Unfortunately I don’t think they make ones for the hybrid - at least I haven’t found any on AFE’s site. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I really wish would stop with the stupid OiL fRoM tHe FiLtEr CaN dAmAgE tHe MaF, that IS NOT THE REASON to avoid them lol. First, that doesn't happen when using them new. Second, that only happens if you have a room temperature IQ and over oil the filter during cleaning because you refuse to follow directions. Lastly, the real reason not to use them is due to the fact that they don't filter as well as a byproduct of flowing more air. This shows up as silica in used oil analysis. THAT is the reason not to use them.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts