Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Q50S Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
You’re right about the silica, so that’s TwO ReAS0ns To aVoID tHeM. K&N filters simply don’t filter as well as cheaper disposable filters. My bad for not mentioning the other reason. The point is that K&N filters just aren’t a great choice unless perhaps you’re tracking or somehow need high-rpm hp at all costs. BTW, to imply or otherwise believe all factory new K&N filters are perfectly oiled - however few over oiled filters leave their factory - you might need to subtract a few IQ points. There’s no such thing as perfect QA/QC, but I’m sure you knew that being as smart as you imply, right? Search this and other forums and you’ll find many MAF failures due to over oiling and by extension, many with “room-temperature IQ’s”. As one with “a gross” IQ, I like to think any advice I can offer might be helpful to the widest possible audience, not just those in the know. If more people adopted “that” attitude - chastising noobs and the ”less capable” - there’d be a lot less useful info available on these forums.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
Let's stick to facts and lose the snarky comments. You two can debate this without resorting to insults.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
978 Posts
i enjoy the debate. i dont take it personal. he's not wrong, though i think the pre-oiled filters damaging things are far overstated. k&n is far from the only mfg of oiled filters.

some people will have problems, i personally have not. ive had the SAME k&n filter on my cobra since 2010. ive re-oiled it a few times and the maf still looks clean with 93,000 miles on the clock. if anything, its saved me money more than anything else. removing the oem silencer on the intake is worth more hp than the filter gives, lol. back in the day, dry filters werent as prolific as they are now and there wasnt much alternative.

@G37 as long as Avedis doesn't get mad at you, feel free to be snarky at me all you want. so long as its factual, i dont care and welcome the challenge.

·
Registered
2015 Q50S Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
i enjoy the debate. i dont take it personal. he's not wrong, though i think the pre-oiled filters damaging things are far overstated. k&n is far from the only mfg of oiled filters.

some people will have problems, i personally have not. ive had the SAME k&n filter on my cobra since 2010. ive re-oiled it a few times and the maf still looks clean with 93,000 miles on the clock. if anything, its saved me money more than anything else. removing the oem silencer on the intake is worth more hp than the filter gives, lol. back in the day, dry filters werent as prolific as they are now and there wasnt much alternative.

@G37 as long as Avedis doesn't get mad at you, feel free to be snarky at me all you want. so long as its factual, i dont care and welcome the challenge.
I wasn’t looking to exchange barbs with anyone. I was merely sharing some advice on changing air filters on my wife’s hybrid and made the off-hand remark about K&N oiled filters. I had zero problems with the K&N drop-ins I had on my ‘06 FX35 from 2005 until we donated it in 2019. That, and your anecdotal evidence don’t mean anything to the people who’ve had very expensive MAF replacements. Again, I’d suggest staying away from oiled filters, K&N or otherwise, with exceptions for those who want the higher rpm hp needed for tracking or for vanity’s sake. JMHO.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We will have to agree to disagree about pre oiled filters damaging things. It's not more an issue than it is for paper filters to shred out and get ingested by the engine. There are tons of third party tests that have been performed and the results are out there.

I run an aFe dry filter now instead of a k&n filter, mainly because the option is there. Not all vehicles have that option (most do nowadays).

I bet the oem filter probably flows enough CFM anyways.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts