Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I own a 2015 Infiniti Q50 as of 6 months ago (bought from an Infiniti dealership with 70,00km). Up until now it has been running smoothly.

When I am traveling under 20km/hr (regardless if m breaking or not), I hear what I can only describe as a sound of two balloons rubbing against each other coming from the front left tire. So i took it to a friend who is good with cars. We put it up on a jack and took the front wheel off to see what we could find. Brakes are in near perfect condition. One thing noted was the bolts were torqued to over 110 lbs/ft. After re-torquing every tire to 90lbs/ft, we put it down and tried it out. My buddy noticed that the noise was actually coming from all of the tires (I could only hear the front left because that the only place i am when driving)

I tend to put a tire shine product on it at least once a week. Thought maybe the compound could be doing it. o i washed the tires with soap and water and its been a few days later the sound is still there.

Tire pressure seems to be normal (according to the sensors) but will checking manually later.

Tried looking for this issue everywhere but it leads me to fixes for problems that I don't have.

Please help!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
Make and model of tires? Miles on them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make and model of tires? Miles on them?
Dunlop P245/40RF19 | 94V Steel belted radial runflat M+S

Unfortunately cannot give you how many miles on them. But I do know it passed safety a few months back and have not visible signs of ware.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
My guess would be your RFTs need to be replaced. Does it sound anything like this?

Could be low pressure but your TPMS isn't indicating low pressure. Would be good to check them with a gauge though.

Reactions: iSmkGrnBud

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Not related to your issue, but 90 ft-lbs is also over-torquing your lug nuts. Taken from the owner's manual:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its the run flat tires. Happened to mine, it drove me nuts. If you have a spare in your trunk, just replace the tires with non run flats.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It is the run flats. What you are hearing is the sound of the belts shifting around in those crappy tires.:geek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright everyone, thanks for all of the help with this. We have isolated the issue. The noise I was hearing was being created by the excess use of the tire shine rubbing against the pavement and the brake discs itself.

Here in Canada, we finally got hit with really warm weather which made the compound come off easier. After washing the tires a second time the squeaky noise was gone.

There is a small scraping noise on the front left. This is because the brake disc is slightly warped (likely because it was torqued on to 40lbs ft over the manufacturers recommendation).

Some talk about the run flats being crappy. Any suggestions from you all for a good tire? Preferably an all season as we get snow in the winter.

THANKS AGAIN

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,803 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.. very sporty so are very good in the summer too. I assume your car is AWD .. I went to 255's on all 4 corners. I really like them. Due to the higher load capacity they survive pot holes better. 😉

Reactions: Jeffpeds

·
Banned
799 Posts
You received some bad information the first time and you’re back for more?

Plenty of good tires available. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
Continental DWS 06 is a decent A/S tire. If you get a lot of snow, I'd have a separate set of snow tires when it gets deep.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,803 Posts
For good A/S there really are only 2 good choices
Continental DWS 06
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

A good low cost A/S tire is the
Barum Bravuris 3HM
$115 @ Discount tire
255 /40 R19 100Y XL BSW
ITEM: 11452
40,000 mile warranty
A division of Continental

·
Banned
799 Posts
Did you want to elaborate on the bad information? What piece was bad and maybe a better suggestion?
It was definitely the run flats. I think you’re mistaken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was definitely the run flats. I think you’re mistaken.
You seem like a real Beauty.

Hate to see it there Pauly. Runflats are still on and the noise is gone.

But I can admire your ability to know exactly what’s wrong with my vehicle from a different state.

Have you considered creating an “Ask Jeff” type of thread where owners worldwide can ask you to diagnose issues with their vehicle?

·
Banned
799 Posts
You seem like a real Beauty.

Hate to see it there Pauly. Runflats are still on and the noise is gone.

But I can admire your ability to know exactly what’s wrong with my vehicle from a different state.

Have you considered creating an “Ask Jeff” type of thread where owners worldwide can ask you to diagnose issues with their vehicle?
Relax...it was a joke.

My point was simple. You asked a question and received a lot of wrong answers. Everyone was positive it was the tires and you found out it wasn’t. Yet, you came back for more advice. Hence the joke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts