Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aluminum oil pan for the VR30? Nothing is wrong with mine, jut hate having a plastic one. I know there is an aluminum under tray from TBW available, but I’m reading that it may hang lower than the stock plastic one and being on RSR downs makes me a bit nervous of beating the **** out of it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yeah. DropBear LLC makes one for the VR30.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,705 Posts
Pics and price? I can't go to FB at work.

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Super expensive!

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Super expensive!
It would be at least 5x the price if it was an aerospace part.

FWIW, for all that machining (time), it's actually not a bad price.

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Any takers yet?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
With that much invested in an oil pan, I'd put on a skid plate to protect it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,286 Posts
For that price I'm hanging it on the living room wall.

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
In the category of Good Things Come to Those Who Wait...

While not as bad a lead time as some Q vendors, Dropbear has now completed its next production run of VR30 AWD oil pans, and one is on its way to me via Fedex Ground.

Let's hope it doesn't take 3-4 weeks to traverse the country.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Congrats!!! That’s freaking awesome! I want one, but don’t want to that price until I have a Tater moment and the plastic fails me lol

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Here's some pics of the Dropbear Oil Pan before I dropped it off at Performance Coatings for its external black anodize coating. And yes, the stock drain plug fits! Just have to source a new oil pan gasket.

It's a work of art :cool:
Tableware Automotive lighting Automotive design Gas Auto part

Helmet Sports gear Silver Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Hood Bag Rectangle Bumper

Natural material Composite material Wood Gas Auto part

Gas Electronic device Auto part Composite material Metal

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Where is the drain location positioned when you have the front of the car elevated on ramps?

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Where is the drain location positioned when you have the front of the car elevated on ramps?
Same side as the stock location, although the drain plug outlet moved more towards the passenger side about an inch or so, as it positioned on the wall of the oil pan vs inset like the OEM plastic pan:
Auto part Font Automotive exterior Event Metal

Tableware Automotive lighting Automotive design Auto part Gas

• Love
Reactions: twin_snails

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Same side as the stock location, although the drain plug outlet moved more towards the passenger side about an inch or so, as it positioned on the wall of the oil pan vs inset like the OEM plastic pan:
View attachment 106310
View attachment 106311
Will the pan drain completely if the front of the car is raised? And is the oil capacity of the pan the same as the OEM one?

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Will the pan drain completely if the front of the car is raised? And is the oil capacity of the pan the same as the OEM one?
Based on the location of the drain hole, which has the bottom of the thread right at the floor of pan, I don't see why it wouldn't drain completely.

This pan has an additional 1-qt of capacity. It also has additional baffling around oil pickup vs stock will give me peace of mind during AutoX events and HPDEs (less chance of oil starvation).

I also prefer the Aluminum mating thread for the drain plug vs the insert in plastic (OEM). I've had an instance or two where even with a torque wrench, I hear an audible "ping" when snugging up the drain plug, which is likely the knurled insert possibly moving in the plastic. :oops:

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,705 Posts
It is a beauty, I agree. Is the bottom ribbed design supposed to act as cooling fins so to speak?

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts