Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Z1 has one too but Im waiting on their AWD verison. Nothing against Dropbear, I just want to see the options before I pull the trigger.
IMO, Dropbear has a better baffle solution around the pickup.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I do agree, but I don't think I'm going to need that as I won't track the vehicle. Realistically, I just want some more protection and I like the idea of the oil drain plug sitting lower to extract more oil. Plus seems like 1/2 the price right.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,703 Posts
I thought the ribbed design was to maximize her pleasure?

LOL.

Thinking..... The last time ptatohed has used a condom?..... 15 years ago? Possibly 20?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Realistically, I just want some more protection and I like the idea of the oil drain plug sitting lower to extract more oil.
I just wanted to point out that when the oil is changed on the VR, about 1.2 litres / 1.3 quarts oil is still in the engine. This is oil in the crankshaft, oil galleries, etc.

That little extra of dirty oil won't make any noticeable difference.
BUT we do like to get as much as possible used oil out of the engine.
Typically I let my oil drip out for 10-15 minutes, cause... why not :)

(Source: FSM LU.PDF "dry engine oil capacity" - "with oil filter change" capacity.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,703 Posts
I just wanted to point out that when the oil is changed on the VR, about 1.2 litres / 1.3 quarts oil is still in the engine. This is oil in the crankshaft, oil galleries, etc.

That little extra of dirty oil won't make any noticeable difference.
BUT we do like to get as much as possible used oil out of the engine.
Typically I let my oil drip out for 10-15 minutes, cause... why not :)

(Source: FSM LU.PDF "dry engine oil capacity" - "with oil filter change" capacity.
I take out my drain plug, filter, oil cap, pop my dipstick up a bit..... and then go do something for a few hours before I come back and finish the oil change.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,244 Posts
I take out my drain plug, filter, oil cap, pop my dipstick up a bit..... and then go do something for a few weeks before I come back and finish the oil change.
Fixed.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
LOL.

Thinking..... The last time ptatohed has used a condom?..... 15 years ago? Possibly 20?
5 years? That is quite a dry spell....

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,703 Posts
Reactions: damonb10

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Dropbear has now reduced the price on the VR30 oil pan to $650. Hopefully the lead time also improves.

·
Registered
829 Posts
So, I'm not exactly a fan of the plastic oil pan myself either but some common sense has to be applied here. Engineers aren't going to use a material that will arbitrarily fail under adverse conditions.

The design is pretty not terrible. Ford engineers used a plastic pan on the GT350 because they found the oil temps were cooler over time compared to a metal pan, steel or aluminum. Heat soak over time was the culprit. Even though it's plastic, it's far stronger than anyone here gives it credit for and it's failure mode is FAR beyond anything normal. Also, let's keep some perspective and not forget that it's pretty easy to crack a metal pan too, especially when it comes to punctures. Aluminum pans can and will shatter just like a plastic pan if hit. Steel is obviously more robust.

As with any OEM part though, there are compromises. The oil drain plug sucks, not as bad as Ford's drain plug, but bad nonetheless. The drain plug location is due to keeping strength.

Here a fun video where VMP Performance did some unscientific destructive testing on a plastic 5.0 pan vs an aftermarket metal pan. I think the results are obvious but the plastic pan held up FAR better than expected and all of the things that cause it to fail would only be symptoms of a far great problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Finally, finally, finally got a moment to install my Dropbear LLC Oil Pan in my Q60.

Used my QuickJacks to lift my Q to the highest position. Removed the TBW Performance Under Tray, and then proceeded to drain the oil, and then removed the stock oil pan. Wow, not much break-away torque on those bolts! After dropping the oil pan, before I cleaned up the mating surface, I took a few pics of the internals:
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Machine Engineering

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Motorcycle accessories

Pickup screen is clean as a whistle, and no sludge in this engine!

Before I installed the new oil pan, I noted the internal surfaces had some dust and residue on them (I had the outside coated Black), so I cleaned all the internal surfaces with Brake Cleaner. I installed a new OEM gasket and went to fit it. However, I couldn't quite get it to clear the oil pickup and position its front flange under the front Hotchkis Sway Bar, so I loosened the four bolts on the Sway Bar clamps, and lowered it enough to allow the oil pan mount flush to upper oil pan.

I proceeded to install the 10 mm hex shouldered bolts. I used a 1/4" driver (with a screwdriver handle) to limit how much torque I could apply, and I used the cross pattern shown in the SM to tighten the bolts (I didn't have a small in-oz torque wrench). As kept applying torque in the cross pattern, I could feel the bolts re-aligning the pan slightly as they were torqued down. It's a shame Infiniti didn't use any dowels to line-up the pan, but maybe it wan't necessary with the plastic pan. Anyways, I finally got the bolts to effectively bottom-out on their shoulders, or close to it, without stripping the threads. Installed a new oil filter, and re-installed the Under Tray. Note: One of the bolts and its nutplate for access door on TBW Under Tray interfere with the Dropbear Oil Pan, so I removed the bolt and nutplate for now, so the access door is secured with one bolt at the back. I'll try to come up with another retention method in the near future.

Unfortunately with my on-going garage remodel, I was not able to locate my stash of copper crush washers for the oil drain plug, so I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to get one. Once that's installed, I'll fill the new oil pan and crankcase with my last stash of Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 oil. I have 7 qts, so I'll see where that shows on the "shorty" dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,703 Posts
Very cool IRS4! (y)

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,244 Posts
Finally, finally, finally got a moment to install my Dropbear LLC Oil Pan in my Q60.

Used my QuickJacks to lift my Q to the highest position. Removed the TBW Performance Under Tray, and then proceeded to drain the oil, and then removed the stock oil pan. Wow, not much break-away torque on those bolts! After dropping the oil pan, before I cleaned up the mating surface, I took a few pics of the internals:
View attachment 109184

View attachment 109186
Pickup screen is clean as a whistle, and no sludge in this engine!

Before I installed the new oil pan, I noted the internal surfaces had some dust and residue on them (I had the outside coated Black), so I cleaned all the internal surfaces with Brake Cleaner. I installed a new OEM gasket and went to fit it. However, I couldn't quite get it to clear the oil pickup and position its front flange under the front Hotchkis Sway Bar, so I loosened the four bolts on the Sway Bar clamps, and lowered it enough to allow the oil pan mount flush to upper oil pan.

I proceeded to install the 10 mm hex shouldered bolts. I used a 1/4" driver (with a screwdriver handle) to limit how much torque I could apply, and I used the cross pattern shown in the SM to tighten the bolts (I didn't have a small in-oz torque wrench). As kept applying torque in the cross pattern, I could feel the bolts re-aligning the pan slightly as they were torqued down. It's a shame Infiniti didn't use any dowels to line-up the pan, but maybe it wan't necessary with the plastic pan. Anyways, I finally got the bolts to effectively bottom-out on their shoulders, or close to it, without stripping the threads. Installed a new oil filter, and re-installed the Under Tray. Note: One of the bolts and its nutplate for access door on TBW Under Tray interfere with the Dropbear Oil Pan, so I removed the bolt and nutplate for now, so the access door is secured with one bolt at the back. I'll try to come up with another retention method in the near future.

Unfortunately with my on-going garage remodel, I was not able to locate my stash of copper crush washers for the oil drain plug, so I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to get one. Once that's installed, I'll fill the new oil pan and crankcase with my last stash of Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 oil. I have 7 qts, so I'll see where that shows on the "shorty" dipstick.
That is amazing clean.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,027 Posts
That is amazing clean.
Mine looked the same way last year when I had to replace my oil pan (after breaking the pan because drain bolt was stuck). Iridium, How many miles on yours and what is your target OCI? Anything special as far as oil you are using?

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Iridium, How many miles on yours and what is your target OCI? Anything special as far as oil you are using?
31k miles, 5k-mile OCIs with Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 & larger OEM oil filter.

Reactions: xBlitzkriegx

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the stock oil pan drain location allows ~1/4 qt of "old" oil to remain in the pan, assuming the pan is level when draining through drain plug port.

Based on this observation, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use an evacuation pump to remove all the oil with the stock oil pan, like this:

Fluid Liquid Paint Gas Cylinder

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,244 Posts
31k miles, 5k-mile OCIs with Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 & larger OEM oil filter.
It's hard to tell from the photos but I am curious after seeing where the revised dipstick is indicating 1 quart low, where that level is in relation to the bottom of the pickup screen assembly.

·
Super Moderator
3,740 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photos but I am curious after seeing where the revised dipstick is indicating 1 quart low, where that level is in relation to the bottom of the pickup screen assembly.
Great minds... yeah, I thought of that after I installed the new pan.

Iirc, the bottom of the oil pickup housing is even with the bottom of the "walls" on either side of it. Just seeing how high the oil strainer is positioned makes me feel better about retrofitting the shorter dipstick to get more measured oil volume in the oil pan cavity, thus lessening the chance for momentary oil starvation (acceleration, higher-G turns).

Makes me wonder if Nissan changed the Z's VR30 oil pan (more baffling), since it's a more track oriented platform.

Reactions: Avedis53

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,277 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the stock oil pan drain location allows ~1/4 qt of "old" oil to remain in the pan, assuming the pan is level when draining through drain plug port.
Well, now you make me wonder how much I'm leaving behind with the front wheels 4.5 inches off the ground (my homemade ramps) so I can wiggle under the car in my garage.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,244 Posts
Well, now you make me wonder how much I'm leaving behind with the front wheels 4.5 inches off the ground (my homemade ramps) so I can wiggle under the car in my garage.
I'm seeing in your future a denied warranty claim due to oil sludge in your oil pan.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts