Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something I came across recently that I wonder if any of the rest of you have experienced. I know that, in the radio settings, AM HD Mode is turned off by default (why I'm not sure). I turn it on because an AM news station that I listen to frequently sounds much better in HD mode. For the first few weeks after I got my car it worked fine. But I've noticed several times over the last week or so that the AM HD mode has turned off by itself and gone back to the default setting. I'm not sure why this is happening. I assume it's part of the whole buggy computer issue that most of us are experiencing. Have any of you had this problem and, if so, do you have any idea why it happens or how to keep it from happening?

·
Registered
193 Posts
How do you turn it on? I must have missed that in the manual.

I would venture a guess that this setting might be lost if you ever reboot your inTouch due to a lockup. Have you needed to reboot since changing it to ON?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you turn it on? I must have missed that in the manual.

I would venture a guess that this setting might be lost if you ever reboot your inTouch due to a lockup. Have you needed to reboot since changing it to ON?
If you have the radio turned on (by that I mean AM or FM) and you hit Settings>Audio, one of the options you'll see is Radio Settings. Hit that and you'll see the toggle for both AM and FM HD (with AM being off by default). But what's weird (and I have no idea why Infiniti did this) is that if you're listening to something other than AM/FM radio or the audio system is turned off, then when you hit Settings>Audio, the Radio Settings option is not available.

Also, I thought it might be the case that it turned off when I did a reboot. But I've been watching it more closely lately and it's turned off several times when I did not reboot. Once it turned off when I turned off the audio system and turned it back on. Another time it turned off while I was listening to the radio. It seems totally random. Maybe this recently released software update will fix it, but I'm not overly optimistic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the software update yesterday, but it did not fix this problem. AM HD mode still regularly turns off. It's quite aggravating. Any help here would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
HD radio is not all that it is cracked up to be. Basically it is a separate digital signal that is limited in power to 10% of the AM stations Analog power. Being digital, that should still provide adequate power. However if the receiver loses the signal, then it switches back to the analog signal which can often sound more muffled. The HD signal will sound more like an FM signal with a lot lower noise floor than normal AM. The AM Analog signal has poorer high frequency response and more background noise. What you are probably experiencing is the receiver losing the digital signal and switching to Analog. When it does that the software may be telling it to "uncheck" the HD so that you do not experience the back and forth between HD and Analog.

Reactions: chicagokevo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.