Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Has anyone ran this?
This looks like an external water pump, would anyone recommend this? If you already have a heat exchanger? The Red sport already has dual water pumps and an oil cooler?

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
616 Posts
Yes - I have it installed on my car.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What's the heat parameters now that you have installed? I just got the pump and the aux intercooler tank. Hopefully this helps me keep the temps below the current 190.
It's for the intercooler heat exchanger, not the engine cooling system.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's for the intercooler heat exchanger, not the engine cooling system.
Understood and sorry for the question. Does it help with heat soak? I know RS has two from factory.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Understood and sorry for the question. Does it help with heat soak? I know RS has two from factory.
No worries. When I saw that you were trying to keep temps under 190* I figured that you were referring to the regular cooling system, as the CACT would not be that high normally. (At least I have never heard it going that high, but I am in PA.)

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,266 Posts
How many hours did it take to install both the pump and aux intercooler tank?
20mins to get bumper off
5min drain system
30mins to get HE out
30mins to reinstall new HE
20mins to install 2nd pump
10mins to fill coolant with airlift
5mins check for leeks
20mins put bumper back on.
go for a drive, let car cool down then check and top off fluid as needed.
Add another hour to figure out how to do each of those steps if it’s first time.

Reactions: Abstract rude

·
Registered
110 Posts
20mins to get bumper off
5min drain system
30mins to get HE out
30mins to reinstall new HE
20mins to install 2nd pump
10mins to fill coolant with airlift
5mins check for leeks
20mins put bumper back on.
go for a drive, let car cool down then check and top off fluid as needed.
Add another hour to figure out how to do each of those steps if it’s first time.
Thanks, sorry for my bad description, looking for aux fender tank. My local Nissan dealer quoted me 8hrs which seems like too much time for the second pump and aux fender tank install. Might not want to do job.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,266 Posts
Thanks, sorry for my bad description, looking for aux fender tank. My local Nissan dealer quoted me 8hrs which seems like too much time for the second pump and aux fender tank install. Might not want to do job.
Sorry didn’t read your post cleary either.

Never did the second tank. AMS larger overflow tank took like 20mins on top of the other stuff I mentioned.

The extra fender tank adds more fluid which slows heating up but also slows cooling down once hot. I’d do it for a track build probably but otherwise it’s not really necessary or doing much after the HE upgrade, even the 2nd pump is probably overkill but it’s easy while you’re already at it if u got cash to spend. Ams larger reservoir and HE combined already add like 70% more fluid if i recall correctly?

Reactions: Abstract rude

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry didn’t read your post cleary either.

Never did the second tank. AMS larger overflow tank took like 20mins on top of the other stuff I mentioned.

The extra fender tank adds more fluid which slows heating up but also slows cooling down once hot. I’d do it for a track build probably but otherwise it’s not really necessary or doing much after the HE upgrade, even the 2nd pump is probably overkill but it’s easy while you’re already at it if u got cash to spend. Ams larger reservoir and HE combined already add like 70% more fluid if i recall correctly?
Thanks for the heads up and feedback.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
616 Posts
Late to reply I see - In North Texas temps get up there and adding as much coolant supply is warranted. I still have the OEM overflow tanks so I can see the fluid levels easier. I added the second pump to my Premium and honestly can't say I saw any measurable temp deltas - the HX and fender tank we more noticeable on hot NTX days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Late to reply I see - In North Texas temps get up there and adding as much coolant supply is warranted. I still have the OEM overflow tanks so I can see the fluid levels easier. I added the second pump to my Premium and honestly can't say I saw any measurable temp deltas - the HX and fender tank we more noticeable on hot NTX days.
Did you add a factory secondary pump or the AMS unit? Also, is the wiring in the harness for the second pump already? I searched and there's a thread where they talk about adding a second pump, but no definitive answer on the wiring- just that the RS has a bigger alternator.

(thread for reference Took the plunge

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
616 Posts
Reactions: Old School Z
1 - 14 of 14 Posts