Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm currently in the middle of install my Infiniti branded AMS heat exchanger and everything was going great. Got the new heat exchanger in but can't get the screw holes lined up. Any body have this issue? Thinking I may have missed something. Help please!!

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Not sure how you could have missed anything. Mine pretty much fell into place.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Was the condenser ever replaced?

How about if you remove the bolts from the other side of the unit? Sometimes you need to install the hardware loose on the both sides to get em started.

I'm not sure I'd like to dremel unless it's a last resort.

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 '17 Redsport, Metallic Dynamic Sunstone Red
55 Posts
Trusting by the silence on this post JHChoi24, you solved this problem? Looks like on Step 29 "the metal collar and mounting grommet" could be shifted inboard to align with the hole. Good luck, I don't have the balls to rip off that bumper never mind figuring out how bleed the system afterwards.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I’ve installed mine and never had this issue. Bolts lined up pretty well. I’ll dig out some of the photos i took to see if there’s anything obviously different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes took the heat exchanger off and remounted the OEM just now and fits perfectly. Tried the hx again with looser bolts but same result. Hate to be dremel a expensive part but I have to have my car for tomorrow. No way I'm putting it all back, refill coolant and take it all apart again.

I’ve installed mine and never had this issue. Bolts lined up pretty well. I’ll dig out some of the photos i took to see if there’s anything obviously different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea just tried this as well. Even without the grommet the hole is very close.

Trusting by the silence on this post JHChoi24, you solved this problem? Looks like on Step 29 "the metal collar and mounting grommet" could be shifted inboard to align with the hole. Good luck, I don't have the balls to rip off that bumper never mind figuring out how bleed the system afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the OEM HX. You can much more room on the driver's side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
If you install the driver's side mount 1st, does it move the HE off-center more or less? Just trying to figure out if the LH mounting slot or the RH mount is more out-of-tolerance. May not matter in the end, but could you take a little material off from each side so that you don't get so close to the weld on the driver's side bracket?

Note: Props to you for installing it on your own - I had my dealer install the HE on my Q60.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to Dremel a little bit and got it to fit.
If you install the driver's side mount 1st, does it move the HE off-center more or less? Just trying to figure out if the LH mounting slot or the RH mount is more out-of-tolerance. May not matter in the end, but could you take a little material off from each side so that you don't get so close to the weld on the driver's side bracket?

Note: Props to you for installing it on your own - I had my dealer install the HE on my Q60.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,973 Posts
Dremel FTW!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it. Now make sure you bleed it correctly. ?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,822 Posts
Yes took the heat exchanger off and remounted the OEM just now and fits perfectly. Tried the hx again with looser bolts but same result. Hate to be dremel a expensive part but I have to have my car for tomorrow. No way I'm putting it all back, refill coolant and take it all apart again.
You're brave taking on a job like this with no extra car.

These two exact reasons is why mine continues to sit in the box in my garage! lol Got a quote from Infiniti at $1250..... um, no. Still need to build up the balls to do it. Or find a shop that can do it for maybe half that.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Got a quote from Infiniti at $1250..... um, no.
My Infiniti dealership did the job in 4.5 hrs @ $140/hr., $630. The shop foreman actually installed it, and the only hiccup was they over-filled the reservoir a little bit, and some coolant dribbled out of the overflow. I siphoned-off enough to get it to the proper level. No further issues.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
You're brave taking on a job like this with no extra car.

These two exact reasons is why mine continues to sit in the box in my garage! lol Got a quote from Infiniti at $1250..... um, no. Still need to build up the balls to do it. Or find a shop that can do it for maybe half that.
It wasn't really that bad as one might think, there's just lots of parts to remove. The only part where I cursed was when removing the headlight connector as there's not much space. I think it took me 6-7hrs total IIRC, including photo shoot, lunch/snack breaks, and watching over two kids. For comparison, wrapping the Q50 front bumper with clear film was 3x as bad lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Totally agree with your assessment. The headlight plug sucked! All other parts are pretty straight forward and easy, just need to keep organized. Refilled with a airvac but still had to top off once. Hopefully its all gravy.

It wasn't really that bad as one might think, there's just lots of parts to remove. The only part where I cursed was when removing the headlight connector as there's not much space. I think it took me 6-7hrs total IIRC, including photo shoot, lunch/snack breaks, and watching over two kids. For comparison, wrapping the Q50 front bumper with clear film was 3x as bad lol

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,822 Posts

Nice job.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
5 Posts
Totally agree with your assessment. The headlight plug sucked! All other parts are pretty straight forward and easy, just need to keep organized. Refilled with a airvac but still had to top off once. Hopefully its all gravy.
Where did you go for the airvac? I can’t fine any shop to rent it out at. Figured I’ll fill the new Hx and use the rubber caps it comes with to transfer it into position and then put the hoses on. I’ll drop some Coolant but it should be fine if I use hose clamps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts