Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just ordered my AMS HX and looking to install myself as most shops are asking for about $500. I do not have a air compressor so I'm very concerned with bleeding the air correctly. The examples I see are people installing a dual HX system so guessing running a dry pump is not as much of a concern, as there is already coolant in the existing HX.

Has anyone bled the AMS HX manually without a Air Tool? I did see the post from Loring with some tips which I will be using but wanted to get some reassurance. I did purchase 2 hose clamps and a spill proof funnel as suggest in Loring's post.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,555 Posts
I have one sitting in my garage for install as well. Like you, hoping to do it myself (you don't live in SoCal, do you?). This is how I plan to bleed:

Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do live in SoCal.

I believe the only thing with that method is, KayDro is running 2 OEM HX. So when you turn on the engine to run the pump, the pump should not be dry as there is existing coolant in the original HX. My worry is that since this is a single unit HX, when you turn on the engine to run the pump, if there is air in the line, the pump can run dry.

I haven't confirmed this with anyone, just my paranoid thinking. Honestly, looking into buying the tool and maybe renting a compressor for a day just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,555 Posts
Well, I am in Murrieta. If we can help each other, just let me know. :) I see what you're saying. I'll have to study the system closely and think about it. I am still hoping to do it with no special tools.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I did the AMS HE install myself and I highly recommend using compressor and the vacuum refill kit. It's so easy and almost no air to bleed. Bought both for ~$180 (ace hardware and amazon).

·
Registered
Vancouver, WA
27 Posts
I did the AMS HE install myself and I highly recommend using compressor and the vacuum refill kit. It's so easy and almost no air to bleed. Bought both for ~$180 (ace hardware and amazon).
Hey Q50adix,

I’m installing in a week or two, waiting for it to arrive. I’ve been watching vids and reading the instructions but nothing is really posted about using the airlift to fill the system. I ordered the $70 one off Amazon and have a compressor already, any tips or references you could point me to for properly using/filling/checking for air? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hey Q50adix,

I’m installing in a week or two, waiting for it to arrive. I’ve been watching vids and reading the instructions but nothing is really posted about using the airlift to fill the system. I ordered the $70 one off Amazon and have a compressor already, any tips or references you could point me to for properly using/filling/checking for air? Thanks!
hey man, airlift is completely optional but it would speed up bleeding the air out. AMS has instructions to open the top screw on the HX but i found that to be unnecessary when using the airlift. I did two installs already and found no need for that on either install. But, YMMV.

The tool is straightforward to use, maybe the only thing I have improvised on my own was sticking a finger to seal the overflow hole on the reservoir to build the vacuum - none of rubber seals included on the kit I bought could properly seal it. Other than that, the usual process:

• pick the appropriate rubber seal from the kit and connect the tool onto the reservoir (don't over tighten it)
  • dip the intake hose into your coolant jug - they recommend it to be sitting a little higher
  • close the intake valve side (coming from coolant)
  • connect the compressor and turn it on
  • watch the gauge as it builds the vacuum
  • close the valve on the venturi line side after the gauge needle reached max (mine does a full swing)
  • watch the gauge and make sure it holds the vacuum pressure
  • open coolant intake valve side until it there's not enough vacuum or coolant has gone a bit over the max line (this is okay, it'll pull in more coolant when pumps start to operate)
  • Run/rev the engine and refill the reservoir as necessary. Estimated refill is another 200-400ml. Keep an eye out on your reservoir.

Also, if you're a bit OCD, the intake hose has some air in it. Thus, it'll be sucked in once you open the vacuum line. That isn't really an issue but you can pre-fill it beforehand, if you're so inclined.

Btw the coolant reservoir is the smaller one on the right hand side.

·
Registered
Vancouver, WA
27 Posts
hey man, airlift is completely optional but it would speed up bleeding the air out. AMS has instructions to open the top screw on the HX but i found that to be unnecessary when using the airlift. I did two installs already and found no need for that on either install. But, YMMV.

The tool is straightforward to use, maybe the only thing I have improvised on my own was sticking a finger to seal the overflow hole on the reservoir to build the vacuum - none of rubber seals included on the kit I bought could properly seal it. Other than that, the usual process:

• pick the appropriate rubber seal from the kit and connect the tool onto the reservoir (don't over tighten it)
  • dip the intake hose into your coolant jug - they recommend it to be sitting a little higher
  • close the intake valve side (coming from coolant)
  • connect the compressor and turn it on
  • watch the gauge as it builds the vacuum
  • close the valve on the venturi line side after the gauge needle reached max (mine does a full swing)
  • watch the gauge and make sure it holds the vacuum pressure
  • open coolant intake valve side until it there's not enough vacuum or coolant has gone a bit over the max line (this is okay, it'll pull in more coolant when pumps start to operate)
  • Run/rev the engine and refill the reservoir as necessary. Estimated refill is another 200-400ml. Keep an eye out on your reservoir.

Also, if you're a bit OCD, the intake hose has some air in it. Thus, it'll be sucked in once you open the vacuum line. That isn't really an issue but you can pre-fill it beforehand, if you're so inclined.

Btw the coolant reservoir is the smaller one on the right hand side.
Wow thank you for the detailed instructions, much appreciated! It arrived a couple days ago, planning to install this weekend.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Wow thank you for the detailed instructions, much appreciated! It arrived a couple days ago, planning to install this weekend.
Np - hope your install would go well. Good luck!

·
Registered
Vancouver, WA
27 Posts
Installed last night after work. Got almost all the way through, but needed to hit the hay. Will be filling today with an air lift per your instructions (thanks again). Going to try and grab some photos and vids for a more detailed install. Instructions from AMS are not great. Honestly the best help was the Mishimoto youtube install. I only had to reference the AMS instructions a few times. Hardest part for me... Those damn cable connectors, so stiff and hard to disconnect. I ended up using a curled pick to let most of them loose.

·
Registered
Vancouver, WA
27 Posts
Np - hope your install would go well. Good luck!
Hey q50adix, quick question on the bleeding. You mentioned using the airlift makes it so you don't have to bleed much at all. Did you still have to bleed after and if so, did you use the method people show where they slightly remove the hose on top (like the vid above) or did you use the bleeder screw on the top of the AMS HX? Thanks again for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts