Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the AMS downpipes last weekend and went to get them installed but one shop said it was illegal and the other shop wanted 425 dollars to do it!! So tonight I decided to take on the install myself and so far so good. Unfortunately I had to stop since I don’t have the O2 sensor removal tool. Will take the downpipes to nearby shop and have them move the sensors over to the AMS ones. For anyone thinking of doing this it has taken me approximately 3.5 hours taking my time making sure not to mess anything up. Will finish this mod tomorrow, in the meantime here are some pictures I took so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Reactions: William

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Any special tools required Wil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stock exhaust? Want to put one in and if it has a nice sound i'd rather keep the stock exhaust vs replacing it.

Any concern with running lean with the extra flow? Not too familiar with how far these engines and turbos can be pushed without a tune.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Stock exhaust? Want to put one in and if it has a nice sound i'd rather keep the stock exhaust vs replacing it.

Any concern with running lean with the extra flow? Not too familiar with how far these engines and turbos can be pushed without a tune.
With my Q60 Red Sport AWD, I wanted not only a nice sound, but also a horsepower & torque bump, too. I've had the FI LDPs & Cat-back installed for over a year, and also the BT JB4, for extra boost, and as a bonus, I have the Bluetooth module to monitor AFR real-time. Under WOT, it runs rich (10-11), so no issues with running lean. Note: An EcuTek/AMS/UpRev tune would target high 11s to low 12s under WOT.

I captured an acceleration run with the FI setup and the BT JB4:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just go to Autozone and either rent the tool, or purchase one of the various O2 sensor removal tools:

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/oxygen-sensor-socket?filterByKeyWord=o2+sensor+removal+tool&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false
So I followed your advice and went to PepBoys (closer to me than AutoZone) this morning, however they didn't have the rental tool so I end it up buying it for $10. Thanks for the advice! I finished the install this morning, will post pictures later!

Any special tools required Wil?
Not really other than the O2 sensor socket. Other than that you need a 14mm deep socket, a 14mm ratchet(?), I used two extensions 12" and 18" but I guess you can get a 30" and only use 1, and a swivel adapter. I'll take pictures of the tools I used later and post them.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

As of right now I'm on stock exhaust. On AMS' Facebook announcement of the Lower Downpipes they said they may come out with a Cat Back later on so I may wait for that. In the meantime I still have my Stillen Axle Back from my 2015 Q50 so I'm going to try and install that and see if it will fit and how it sounds. Unless someone here tells me I may screw something up if I do that then I won't.

I am not very knowledgeable about engines in general so I can't really answer that, however I am getting the ECUTek tune from AMS. I already received the license and hardware I am awaiting the base map and actual tune.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Big thanks for the write up and pics of the installation William. However, I cringe every time I see a much larger downpipe being bolted up to a tiny stock exhaust. You got rid of a big restriction by removing the secondary converters but created a massive step at the junction and introduced turbulence. I strongly suggest getting an exhaust that matches up to those downpipes soon. Let us know how you like the AMS tune. I think you'll be quite pleased with the results.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big thanks for the write up and pics of the installation William. However, I cringe every time I see a much larger downpipe being bolted up to a tiny stock exhaust. You got rid of a big restriction by removing the secondary converters but created a massive step at the junction and introduced turbulence. I strongly suggest getting an exhaust that matches up to those downpipes soon. Let us know how you like the AMS tune. I think you'll be quite pleased with the results.
I absolutely agree with you and was looking at some of the high flow cat backs available and did not find a 3” to match which is why I said I would wait and see if AMS was releasing one. Do you have any recommendations?

In the meantime I installed my Stillen Axle Back yesterday. Surprisingly it fit although it was made for the 2014-2015 models and it sounds ok for now. The only issue is that the driver side is closer to the right and not centered but I don’t know if it can be adjusted by using the hangers. Here’s a quick cold start video link hopefully it’ll work.

https://youtu.be/sdaQWfvy6qY

·
Registered
198 Posts
I absolutely agree with you and was looking at some of the high flow cat backs available and did not find a 3” to match which is why I said I would wait and see if AMS was releasing one. Do you have any recommendations?

In the meantime I installed my Stillen Axle Back yesterday. Surprisingly it fit although it was made for the 2014-2015 models and it sounds ok for now. The only issue is that the driver side is closer to the right and not centered but I don’t know if it can be adjusted by using the hangers. Here’s a quick cold start video link hopefully it’ll work.

https://youtu.be/sdaQWfvy6qY
AAM makes a 3" exhaust, but I'm not familiar with their quality and there's really very little info online. You can always go with a 2.5" system and have a shop smooth out the transition, but that would require cutting and welding.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it’s a 2.5” system I think Fast Intentions makes it and it’s supposedly bolt on to the AMS downpipes (being that it bolted to the stock lower down pipes). I wonder if anyone has done that yet. Have you dealt with FI before? Apparently they worked with AMS on a recent project/competition.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it’s a 2.5” system I think Fast Intentions makes it and it’s supposedly bolt on to the AMS downpipes (being that it bolted to the stock lower down pipes). I wonder if anyone has done that yet. Have you dealt with FI before? Apparently they worked with AMS on a recent project/competition.
I haven't dealt with FI personally but have seen their systems and the quality is top notch. Also the reviews speak for themselves. FI will most likely be the exhaust I get for my Q. I wouldn't be surprised, due to their recent collaboration with AMS, to see them partner up on other projects.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,166 Posts
I can't say enough good about Fast Intentions. Talking to them on the phone was informative, courteous, and a pleasure. I called before I got my Q50, then again after I got my car to finalize my order.

Now the wait. I will write a full review after the install w/o a tune, then post another review after the program/dyno.

Their stuff is stainless steel "jewelry". Some of the best work I have seen.

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Fast Intentions exhaust is top notch, I have zero regrets!
I've got their LDP and nonresonated cat back exhaust for my SS and am very happy with it. Extremely high quality and OEM fit. Their customer service is on point and they are responsive to inquiries. Installation was straight forward- hardest part are those engine facing bolts on the secondary cats, I ended up just snapping the studs off with an impact.
Nice and quiet while cruising with a good sound while giving it gas. (It's not super loud but when I want to make a bunch of noise I have some straight pipes I had made for the axle back portion.) I had my car tuned within a week of installing the exhaust but the exhaust alone definitely seemed to add a little bit of pep to the car, with the tune it's a straight up monster!

I highly recommend it, I don't think anyone makes a higher quality bit of pipe.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was eyeing up that lift you're using. Do you mind sharing where you got it from and how you like it?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't dealt with FI personally but have seen their systems and the quality is top notch. Also the reviews speak for themselves. FI will most likely be the exhaust I get for my Q. I wouldn't be surprised, due to their recent collaboration with AMS, to see them partner up on other projects.
I can't say enough good about Fast Intentions. Talking to them on the phone was informative, courteous, and a pleasure. I called before I got my Q50, then again after I got my car to finalize my order.

Now the wait. I will write a full review after the install w/o a tune, then post another review after the program/dyno.

Their stuff is stainless steel "jewelry". Some of the best work I have seen.
The Fast Intentions exhaust is top notch, I have zero regrets!
I've got their LDP and nonresonated cat back exhaust for my SS and am very happy with it. Extremely high quality and OEM fit. Their customer service is on point and they are responsive to inquiries. Installation was straight forward- hardest part are those engine facing bolts on the secondary cats, I ended up just snapping the studs off with an impact.
Nice and quiet while cruising with a good sound while giving it gas. (It's not super loud but when I want to make a bunch of noise I have some straight pipes I had made for the axle back portion.) I had my car tuned within a week of installing the exhaust but the exhaust alone definitely seemed to add a little bit of pep to the car, with the tune it's a straight up monster!

I highly recommend it, I don't think anyone makes a higher quality bit of pipe.
Thank you all for the info I started to look at the FI Cat Back and I will be placing my order soon. Especially since it will take 8-12 weeks before seeing it/delivery!

I was eyeing up that lift you're using. Do you mind sharing where you got it from and how you like it?
Sure! Here’s a link to the company’s website for more info.
http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/md-6xp.aspx
I ordered from Northern Tools.
https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200102674_200102674?adv=false

And used this post on a different forum for reference when the car is too low.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1483905-bend-pak-md-6xp-scissor-lift-install-review-20-pics-and-long-no-56k.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
How in the heck did you get the O2 sensor unplugged from the passenger side? I am hooking this up to my FI cat back and all went well on the drivers side but removing the secondary cat on the passenger side the connector to unhook the O2 sensor plug is way up in the engine compartment with no room tor reach the plug to release it. I have an AWD.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,166 Posts
Did you call FI and ask them.. I'm very interested in this and need the fix to this as my install is in a few weeks..

Please keep us informed.. thanks.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
How in the heck did you get the O2 sensor unplugged from the passenger side? I am hooking this up to my FI cat back and all went well on the drivers side but removing the secondary cat on the passenger side the connector to unhook the O2 sensor plug is way up in the engine compartment with no room tor reach the plug to release it. I have an AWD.
I have a '17 Q60 Red Sport, and my friend and I installed the FI LDPs and CBE at the same time. I recall the issue was the proximity of the connector to the transmission bell housing. You have to squeeze the tab AND pull the connectors apart - a daunting task with very little room.

Installation instructions, for reference:

https://www.fastintentions.com/images/hosted_images/Infiniti/Q50%20Sedan/Exhaust%20System/Installation%20Guide/Q50%20Sedan%20VR30DDTT%20Lower%20Down%20Pipe%20Installation%20Guide.pdf

My friend has a Bend Pac 4-post lift, so we were standing up, but it was still a challenge to pull the connectors apart using two hands. Look at the driver's side connector for reference, so that you can squeeze the release tab in the right spot.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There was definitely very little room! I took the secondary cat off the hinges and move it to the side and stuck my arm all the way up yo the connector to unplug it. It was a PITA for sure!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts