Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, special thanks to Sid for fast processing and ease of transaction!

For those who are on the verge of buying and/or installing this, I'd say go for it! The heat exchanger is well-built.

Installation is pretty straightforward, I only followed AMS instructions posted here: https://www.amsperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/Infiniti_Heat_exchanger_101.pdf

Instructions are very comprehensive and easy to follow. I installed it all by myself - no buddies, no nannies. Tools and materials I've used are:

- air compressor
- coolant refill/air purge (venturi) - $80 in amazon
- 10mm / 12mm / 13mm socket and extension
- Screwdriver and drill/driver and ratchet
- jack / jack stands
- wheel chocks
- needle-nose pliers
- plastic pry tools
- 1 gallon nissan longlife blue antifreeze (there's about 1.5 quarts left)
- shop towel
- torque wrench
- painter's tape
- gloves
- scissors

Total burden time: 6hrs (non-contiguous; includes photoshoot)

I'd like to note that venturi vacuum kit is awesome, there's almost no need to bleed. It filled up to about 75% on the reservoir when vacuum gauge reached 0. I only had to start and rev the engine a couple of times and it stabilized between the MAX and MIN lines. Drove ~200 miles thru my normal commute this week (traffic and several hard pulls) and no issues so far, though I haven't taken measurement and comparison of IATs yet.

If I were to mention any annoying part of the process, it'd be removing the RH headlight connector and trim panels that run along the fenders.

See pics attached and enjoy!

Attachments

· Registered
7,054 Posts
Very nice work sir, must say really wish Infiniti gave a bit more clearance in the engine bay I like it when I have room to actually work on a car.

Reactions: q50adix

· Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good job, will be doing this myself soon.
awesome! good luck man...

Very nice work sir, must say really wish Infiniti gave a bit more clearance in the engine bay I like it when I have room to actually work on a car.
yes and the engine bay look so busy lol but hey as long as it works, who cares right? :D

Reactions: BigHeadClan

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
If I tore our RS apart like that to install that heat exchanger, my wife would have me committed! Would be interested in feedback as to heat soak reduction though...

Reactions: dingo6610

· Super Moderator
4,220 Posts

· Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So far, the highest IAT i logged with AMS HE was 25F over ambient (stop and go traffic) and drops quickly once car moves >40mph with temps under 10F over ambient.

On stock HE, 40-50F over ambient temps on the same traffic condition. It hardly drops to 10-15F over ambient unless driven for couple of minutes (no traffic)

Reactions: ptatohed

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
So far, the highest IAT i logged with AMS HE was 15-18F over ambient (stop and go traffic) and drops quickly once car moves >40mph with temps under 10F over ambient.

On stock HE, 40-50F over ambient temps on the same traffic condition. It hardly drops to 10-15F over ambient unless driven for couple of minutes (no traffic)
Looking at the difference in surface area between the AMS and stock, I would expect those numbers...

· Registered
7,054 Posts
Looking at the difference in surface area between the AMS and stock, I would expect those numbers...
Hah yeah a few of us were joking we had bigger radiators in our computers than what Infiniti put on the car.

Reactions: q50adix

· Registered
344 Posts
Its still cold here in Chicago, but on average I see the Delta hang around 10F over stock, which is outstanding. We will see if it keeps up when its 90F outside.

· Premium Member
75 Posts
Just got mine! Thank you Sid @di_parts!
Looking forward to install this weekend.

Attachments

· Premium Member
75 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the inter cooler drain valve? I’m installing now and don’t want to open the wrong drain! TIA
Is the plastic on the tube shown in the picture below the drain?

Attachments

· Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes that’s the one. If you follow the rubber hose path, it’ll end up to the stock intercooler.

· Premium Member
75 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Ha. I'm in the same boat. Would never do that job myself, but can definitely appreciate the folks who will do it.

Reactions: BTinAZ

· Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,928 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
That is a great price considering labor and coolant... nice job!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.