·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Never heard of tunes in stages from AMS.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
941 Posts
Oh that's the whole package. Not just the tune. Gotcha.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Go for it, it’s worth it. Infiniti should have had that heat exchanger as standard equipment not after market add on.

·
Registered
2019 Q50S Signature Edition RWD
62 Posts
AMS is the real deal. Big increase in hp and torque if you have the 300hp Q50. One thing I've come to see now that I'm tuned with close to 500hp crank and 600 tq with 93 octane fuel is the differental in these cars with their open diff setup is atrocious. With the huge increase in power the cars torque management system is overwhelmed and its understandable. Plus the fact these cars come with aweful runflat tires. Off the line traction is a one wheel operation and how the car is designed to deal with this is to apply the brake to the wheel spinning. How counter productive is applying the brakes to go faster?

Bottom line, this vehicle Q50&Q60 desperately needs a limited slip differential internal to go fast, improve handling and safety. Without this and accelerating off the line from a street light/drag situation, 1st and 2nd gear rpms go by faster than you can shift unless your trying to destroy your tires and wear out your rear brakes.

Depending on how you are going to be using the car and what you are expecting, the Z1 motorsports LSD is a got to have in the sense.

Not cheap at 1100 for just the LSD insert and 1600 for the complete rear diff housing with LSD installed. The 1600 version is the best deal come to find out from my local performance shop. Install for just the Inner LSD portion can climb past $800-1000. Easier to just install the already built differential wereby saving money in the long run.

My next mod without a doubt will be a LSD. Without, cant apply that newfound power to the ground. The whole point of adding the power is to hopefully put it to the ground and go forward. Not mindless amounts of wheel spin.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Stage 3 tune is scheduled for next month. I'll report back with details.

Reactions: styles

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,992 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have an AMS Stage 3 package tune and am very happy with it. Hope to get it on the Dyno in two weeks. My tune was done remotely.

Reactions: styles

·
Registered
2019 Q50S Signature Edition RWD
62 Posts
You beat me to it.
  • Yeah i dont have a awd but the awd models should also have the open diff in the rear. Not sure how the front works but likely not optimal. I would assume the awd Q50-Q60's opperate off the VDC too thereby using the brakes to control wheelslip between the 4 wheels. GTR's don't use open diffs for comparison. Companies makes LSD's for awd cars and Z1 Motorsports points this out.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yeah i dont have a awd but the awd models should also have the open diff in the rear. Not sure how the front works but likely not optimal.
Yes, the AWD Q50/Q60 V37/CV37 platform use an R190 Open Diff. As discussed, you can buy a helical LSD from Z1 Motorsports for $1598, as long as provide your core back to them. As for the front diff, the GT-R uses the same P/N as the Q50/Q60 AWD front diff.

If you had $3000 burning a hole in your pocket, and you have an AWD, you could have LSD both front & rear.

·
Registered
469 Posts
  • Yeah i dont have a awd but the awd models should also have the open diff in the rear. Not sure how the front works but likely not optimal. I would assume the awd Q50-Q60's opperate off the VDC too thereby using the brakes to control wheelslip between the 4 wheels. GTR's don't use open diffs for comparison. Companies makes LSD's for awd cars and Z1 Motorsports points this out.
Optimal enough to run a 11.0 on runflats. Not me, but a member from the VR FB community did that. Several others with times similar to that but with different street tires.

If I had AWD, I would spend the $ elsewhere.

·
Registered
941 Posts
AWD FTW. What's a traction problem like...? LOL

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,992 Posts
LSD? We ain't got no LSD! We don't need no LSD! I don't have to show you any stinkin' LSD! (quote adapted from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for AWD owners)

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Here’s a couple quick vids of my AMS Red Alpha Stage 3 tune. My son recorded it from his phone so not the greatest quality.
Yes, I know my cars a mess, weather is making it impossible to keep clean.

Reactions: MrDemon400rs16

·
Registered
334 Posts
If I had AWD, I would spend the $ elsewhere.
While great tires combined with the AWD provide an absolutely massive improvement, I still recommend the LSD for AWD Qs. Disclaimer: my LSD is still sitting in its box awaiting install. The LSD will provide benefits in 1) reducing the amount of break pressure being applied by VDC, 2) improves acceleration in high-speed cornering where wheel slip is common, and 3) provides major traction benefits in snow and heavy rain.

Obviously, #2 is more aligned to track time, but #1 and #3 are a daily occurrence for me. Michigan lake-effect winter (and driving arguably too fast) leads to traction issues, even with my winter tires, at times. Even with my Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires in the summer, it is easy to break the rear loose; completely disable VDC and traction control to test; the AWD system with high-performance summer tires is not enough to keep up with a tuned VR30 while accelerating.

Now would I recommend the LSD to any AWD? No, I believe arguments can be made for not upgrading the LSD (for example, living in a place with no snow and not pushing the car hard). Now if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow, I would argue the LSD is still worth it -- unless you are driving 10-15 MPH in a 55, but I will gladly be passing you. To me, the LSD is a "near the end" upgrade only.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here’s a couple quick vids of my AMS Red Alpha Stage 3 tune. My son recorded it from his phone so not the greatest quality.
Yes, I know my cars a mess, weather is making it impossible to keep clean.

Those crackles and pops are excellent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just picked up my ‘16 Q50RS (AWD) from AMS today. Absolutely incredible job. Was able to see 441whp and 512wtq on the dyno. Went in bone stock as far as performance goes.

Ecutek is fantastic. Love the map switching via the RPM gauge, very cool. Launch control was included in the installed Racerom.

Didn’t touch the stock exhaust, just the stage 3 package, which sounds great by itself! The down pipes really change the sound in a surprising, positive way. Nice growl and rumble. Pops and crackles very nicely.

The price breakdown seemed fair, especially considering some of the labor estimates I’ve seen for various components included with the kit. I’m sure one could save well by shopping around for labor, but I figured why not have these guys do it, when it’s their product to begin with.

I’m extremely happy with my experience at AMS.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I pick up my stage 3 tuned car from AMS tomorrow.

Reactions: u1arunit
1 - 20 of 52 Posts