Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Tom at AMS (ex2023) to discuss having their bigger turbos installed.

Obviously it's not ready yet, but he feels it will be "soon". "A few weeks" They will announce it via social media.

I thought a thread about it might be a good idea.

He agreed that the OEM 7 speed automatic transmission already has issues at 425/500, long term. I told him I already had everything Level 10 can do, done to mine, in anticipation of the bigger turbos. Over heating is a problem with the OEM transmission as is.

My bolt ons are all set, nothing needs to be added or modified for the RS600 upgrade other than turbos and new map with my car.

I'm good to go! ????(Other than my brake problems.. long story)

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
Exciting!

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Exciting!
I'm ready. I even have a place to stay out there while they do the work. I will have AMS do it all. I'm not sure if I have to buy a new EcuTec license or if Seb's key can work out some way. I'd like to stay with him if possible. But will pay for a new license if I have to. Probably will end up that way. No clue how AMS will deal with my Level 10 changes. I know it was a problem for Seb and he had to call EcuTec across the pond to get the work around.
Something to do with torque tables. IIRC

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the turbo AMS chooses will be "Bulletproof"
Well, within reason: https://youtu.be/WoGUrQrNduY

I LOVE this guy's YouTube channel!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
Any idea of cost (parts and labor)?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Exciting!
I'm ready. I even have a place to stay out there while they do the work. I will have AMS do it all. I'm not sure if I have to buy a new EcuTec license or if Seb's key can work out some way. I'd like to stay with him if possible. But will pay for a new license if I have to. Probably will end up that way. No clue how AMS will deal with my Level 10 changes. I know it was a problem for Seb and he had to call EcuTec across the pond to get the work around.
AMS test car has a level 10 trans I think they would know how to tune it the best since that's what in the 10 second q60 they have

Reactions: JohnInNH

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
686 Posts
My guess is cost will be high. Odds are there will be an adapter and then a regular turbo X2. I'd be surprised if it was a modified Q50 turbo like RT. If I'm right then the oil feed and return will also be custom. Not sure how they will use the oem WG. Now that I thick about it, it seems like modifying the OEM turbos would be easiest.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
John,

I worked with Tom at AMS before I signed up for my AMS tune. Great guy and very responsive. There was no issue with an AMS tune after my previous Ecutek tune. You already own the license. Aside from your Turbo upgrade costs I think AMS will charge you for what they call a re-tune at $799.

Reactions: JohnInNH

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AMS test car has a level 10 trans I think they would know how to tune it the best since that's what in the 10 second q60 they have
Excellent! I did tell them Pat rebuilt my tranny. One less thing to worry about!! ??

·
Registered
2019 luxe RWD
58 Posts
So what happened ? Because this is my second set of turbo they both went bad at 5000 miles and I still have 19mo on my lease I don't recommend going to infinitj for another pair of oem shitty turbo replacement....what reviews are there on longeyivity of pure or rt turboz and is there another option as in actually upgrading g turbo aside those to had any company started production and sale of flanges to change the actual turbo

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up installing Pure Stage 2 turbos and the supporting fueling upgrades.

My OEM turbos were still good with 30K miles on them, 23K EcuTec tuned. I do have HKS blowoff valves which help the turbos.

My Q is a 2018, maybe later batches had quality problems. I don't know why you only got 5K miles on each set of OEM turbos.

Is your Q tuned? Run a JB4?

Reactions: [email protected]
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.