Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Another IS F Sport comparo - and how I ultimately made my decision!

17K views 67 replies 19 participants last post by  SimpsonTide985 
#1 ·
So here is yet another IS350 F Sport comparo with my thoughts - and how I ultimately made my decision! (deep breath)

I’m writing this comparison mainly regarding aesthetics, and how it ultimately led me to my decision.
** Note: I think it is safe to say that these cars are fairly close to one another as far as performance, quality, reliability and fun. **

So, for me, it comes down to (and let me emphasize these are strictly my subjective opinions) aesthetics.

On a given day: I will walk to my car, in my garage and see it for about 5 seconds.
Then I will spend the next 20-30 minutes inside of the car “experiencing” it!

So let’s first talk interior.
For me the Lexus interior is inferior.
Aside from the F Sport gauge cluster (which is amazing) there isn’t a lot going on that, to me, exceeds the Infiniti’s layout.
The materials seem to be a good quality and arguably on par with Infiniti’s.
They didn’t use leather in the F Sport because they used (I believe) a process of injection molding for the extra bolstering in the seats.
I won’t ding them for that, I hear the NuLuxe is decent enough and justification is apparent because it wouldn’t work with real leather.
The “shelf” layout of the dash (I agree with many others) looks pretty dated.
The Navi screen is way too small, and its position looks like an afterthought.
I haven’t used the mouse controller or interface, but from what the owners and reviewers have said, it is more of a distraction and is more “disconnected” from the driver.
So I would give the IS350 F Sport an interior score of 7 out of 10 (and only a 6 for the non-F Sport).

Now for Infiniti:
I really like the use of improved materials. I personally am fond of the maple trim and would only get that. I am getting tired of the reiterations of Japanese aluminum.
Combining the upgraded materials with the smart layout, the asymmetrical design directed toward the driver, and the overall clean look ----- and then ----- include all the fun filled gadgetry and customization offered in the second touch screen….. It just puts it over the top!
I give the Q50 interior a score of 9 out of 10.

As far as the exteriors….. not all will agree.
It seems to be love/hate regarding the Lexus.

Starting with the Q though, I think Infiniti has done a great job evolving it into a refined and fresh new look.
They have changed just enough, infused just the right amount of inspiration from the concepts, and have updated the look more than adequately.
I score the Infiniti exterior a solid 8 of 10.

Lexus on the other hand…. revolutionized the IS.
They kept just the right amount of the outgoing 2IS, allowed it to retain its identity, and gave it oh so much more character.
I personally like most all of the new Lexus exterior, save for the “separated/divorced” headlight design.
Also I will say, the front grill has grown on me.
I went from calling the F Sport grill obnoxious, to now – ONLY wanting that aggressive look.
The overall exterior design to me - looks fast, young and aggressive.
This is probably the last time I would be able to pull that look off - I'm 39. lol
My score for the Lexus exterior is a 9 out of 10 (and would have been higher if it weren’t for those headlights).

If the performance, ride quality, and exterior aesthetics are all so very close….. then for me - it all boils down to where I spend the most time. In the cockpit!

So, with that said - I guess it will be Infiniti sedan number 4 for me.

I always tell people I like leasing, because I like “new” cars, and I like to change it up.
That’s a hard point to for me to sell concidering I have effectively had the same dang model ('03 G35s / '08 G35s / '10 G37s) for over a decade already.

You can’t argue bang for buck when it comes to Infiniti! It wins every time for me.

Lexus came really close this year. And maybe in 39 months they will get me…. But I think I have ultimately decided – it’s a 2014 Q50 for me.

Moonlight White / Premium / Navi / Leather / Deluxe Touring / 19” Wheels

It’s done – I’m tired of weighing my options, researching stats, opinions, etc.

I will probably wait until the Residuals and Money Factors are released before placing my order.
I will qualify for VPP….. so it’s just a matter of finding a dealership that will honor that pricing, and has the lowest fees.
Also, I'm looking for the best place for me and the fam to vacation the day after I get home from my deployment, and then take delivery.

Now that I know what I want, I can pull the trigger and wait with anticipation with the rest of you guys that have done so.

If anyone else is on the fence... I hope this helped. If not - I killed some time writing about something I have always enjoyed!

See less See more
#8 ·
Good writeup here and it's nice to see the thought process people are going through when considering each model. For some strange reason, Infiniti press materials (Carlos Ghosn interviews, etc) pretend like the IS doesn't exist, but I feel it's the closest match, tit for tat, in this segment.

The IS FSport front end is growing on me, also, but the nike swooshes are still disgusting. It's bad enough to have a christmas tree light setup where you can count the bulbs, then moving them out of the headlight lens is a WTF design decision and looks tacked on to me. The 2013 lights were just fine.

I think you'll be happy with your decision. When you test drive, flip the mode selector to sport for the proper steering and accelerator pedal resistance. It makes an immediate and palpable change, you literally feel it.

#11 · (Edited)
I see the stripes BenW and others were complaining about on the light colored sport seats. They are WTF ugly, I agree.

Reminds me of the hilarious VW cloth seats that look like you're sitting on a Scottish dude's lap. I thought they were a joke the first time I saw them. The car says "Aye laddie, 'ave a good sit on yer uncle Angus's lap". LMAO!

#12 ·
THANK YOU!!! I told my rep today that I didn't know what Infiniti was thinking. He said they wanted something snazzy. I said they weren't snazzy but took away from the beautiful leather and looked out of place and not as luxurious....and NOT sporty!

#41 · (Edited)
All I have to say about the original post is that it appears you have been reading mine. It's perfectly okay if you have been. I am very modest about my influence. Ask anyone... they'll tell you my modesty is one of my favorite things about me.

Now, allow me to say that I wholeheartedly agree with your interior review. The "wave" design that is driver-centric is very clever... very well executed. And I can tell you that it very much brings up a sore spot in my automotive history. You see, for a brief period of time, I had the great misfortune of owning quite possibly the worst American car in modern history. Ahem... a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT. This car featured a driver-centric dash, but it's execution was so deliriously exaggerated, you had to wonder if Timothy Leary was part of the design team. Never mind the garish body cladding and the feeble 185HP 3.7 liter V6... just the inside was enough to make you wonder if GM's red headed step children in Michigan had graduated from clown school, as opposed to an actual engineering school.

And now I will, with chagrin, think of my past mistake every time I settle in to the completely un-ridiculous interior of my own Moonlight White/Graphite interiored Q50. You live... you learn.

#45 ·
Originally Posted by Ten*K
All I have to say about the original post is that it appears you have been reading mine. It's perfectly okay if you have been. I am very modest about my influence. Ask anyone... they'll tell you my modesty is one of my favorite things about me.

OMG, too funny. :D

+1

#51 ·
This should get Simpson's blood going. :D

I got the new issue of Car and Driver today, and two letters had me laughing. The first one:

As someone from the days of real car styling, I have to say Lexus stole from a 50-year-old Plymouth. Compare the front end from the Lexus IS to the 1961 Fury.

Here's a reminder:

The second:

Let's be honest. Not many people are going to buy the Lexus sports sedan. It has all the sex appeal of - and appears to have been designed to attract - a baleen whale. It should have had 10 points deducted simply because it is so fugly!

Now, don't kill the messenger - I'm just reporting.;)

#53 ·
I really like the IS350 styling from the side - better than the Q50. Also, the IS nose, when standing, doesn't look as ridiculous as the shot above from 12" off the ground. Still, for me, the Q50s face is way nice than the IS.

I agree the IS will sell well. God the F-Sport gauge cluster is cool.

#60 ·
I test drove the IS350 and actually considered purchasing it...for about a day. In my opinion it was hard for me to justify $48K for that car. It's a fun car to drive, but at that price, it's small and the fit and finish was good but it was really difficult to justify. It seemed to me that Lexus was being a little arrogant with pricing that car. Yeah, the IS 350 Fsport has a good engine, very good 8sp tranny but I just can't explain it.

I think the Q50 while around the same price, it was MUCH easier justifying the price considering the fit, finish, accessories, just the whole package. I think it's on par if not a touch nicer than the GS. Again, this is my opinion.

#63 ·
I really don't know where you're putting your justification..

All I know is, a loaded Q50S is gonna run you a $52k. It's hard to compare when a loaded IS350 F-Sport RWD is $48k. It should be expected that the Lexus is the car with less "goodies" in it, but the F-Sport is a very specific kind of car. If you want the goodies, the Luxury package trim is still right there for you. Sure, the Q50 is the more practical car in terms of size, but a lot of people aren't looking for that. Not all cars are created equal and it's obvious now that the IS350 is a totally different kind of animal. For $48k, I think it's worth it. The GS350 RWD can hit $58k very easily but I don't even consider them quite the same kind of car--unless you're specifically targeting a car of that size. Then when you look at it that way, where does it really stop when you looking at value across the board? Are you going to say that a $52k Q50 is more of a bargain than a $58k GS350? $6k is a pretty **** big margain if you're comparing MSRPs like this.

#61 ·
Test drove the Q50S AWD and the IS350 AWD over the weekend.

The Lexus definitely is more fun to drive. Infiniti REALLY toned down the Q50 compared to the G sedan! I was kind of in shock of how much more subdued it was.

It is like Lexus and Infiniti just swapped personas for these two cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.