Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Another new commerical - Warn you of possible collision two cars ahead

53K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  hunter81 
#1 ·

#2 ·
This is one of the features I REALLY like about the tech safety system. I've been in this situation too many times. My wife once had a truck that was in front of her dart into the next lane only to reveal a stalled vehicle in the lane. She had no chance to brake in time and only managed to avoid it through a miraculous avoidance maneuver.

I'm looking forward to having help staying whole out on the road. :)

#5 ·
This is one of the features I REALLY like about the tech safety system. I've been in this situation too many times. My wife once had a truck that was in front of her dart into the next lane only to reveal a stalled vehicle in the lane. She had no chance to brake in time and only managed to avoid it through a miraculous avoidance maneuver.

I'm looking forward to having help staying whole out on the road. :)
I HATE!!!!! When people do that!!! Especially a truck (Pretty popular here in Houston) or if they have time and room to stop. I take it as a VERY selfish move and it has happened to me plenty of times. Luckily i have had enough time to stop and to warn the cars behind me.

#9 ·
The forward emergency braking system works when the system senses that Q50 is too close to vehicle in front. It issues warnings and applies hard brakes if the driver ignores the warning or does not react fast enough, see details in section 5-89 of the OM. The commercial is a bit more dramatic but gets the point across.
The approach warning chime may sound and the driver assist system forward indicator (orange) may blink when the radar sensor detects objects on the side of the vehicle *A or on the side of the road *A . This may cause the DCA system to decelerate or accelerate the vehicle. The radar sensor may detect these objects when the vehicle is driven on winding roads, narrow roads, hilly roads or when entering or exiting a curve. In these cases you will have to manually control the proper distance ahead of your vehicle.
5-94
The predictive forward collision warning system can help alert the driver when there is a sudden braking of a second vehicle traveling in front of the vehicle ahead in the traveling same lane.

#15 ·
I actually got to experience this feature IRL. Car in front of us (car 2) was tailgating guy in front of him (car1). Car 1 decides to "brake check" the tailgater (car 2). Our loaded Q50 starts applying brake before Car 2 even lights his brake lights. I was impressed.

And yes, it uses radar - I wonder if we'll be setting off other cars' radar detectors?

#16 ·
And yes, it uses radar - I wonder if we'll be setting off other cars' radar detectors?
Now, that would be a riot. As I've said in a past post, I was almost killed because of three radar detectors, and those with radar detectors are stating that they believe it's all right to have tools that are used to break the law. I wonder how they would vote on a jury if a defendant was charged with just possessing burglar tools.

#18 ·
Regardless of personal feelings, understand that in accordance with the Communications Act of 1934, radar/laser detectors are LEGAL in 49 of 50 states. As such, those who choose to use one (myself included) should not be chastised for exercising this right. No debate intended; just stating the facts.

#22 ·
I never said that they were illegal, but voiced the opinion that they should be(what we have here is a prime example of two opposing legal concepts, both valid). If one dismisses the BS excuse that they help a driver stay within the speed limit, then their only purpose is to allow the driver to break the law and not get caught. Let's be honest here - someone driving five mph over the speed limit doesn't need a radar detector. They are for those who want to drive 10, 15, 20 mph or more over. They are the exception to the idea that having tools to break a law is a crime. Having been almost killed because of them just hardened my opinion about them. When driving, please realize that there are others out there.

#23 ·
I've never gotten a ticket for speeding, despite the fact that I definitely never go the speed limit---however, I do like the idea of investing into a radar detector somewhere down the line but I almost feel like it'll just make me feel so thoughtless about my driving that I don't want to put myself in danger or anything by getting too crazy..

#24 ·
My version of radar detector is to set the laser cruise behind the car going the fastest and settle in on the longest setting. Usually that gives enough reaction time to see their brake lights when a police car comes into view for them.

I don't need to be the fastest car at the front of the pack when I'm driving so that's worked well for me and I'll stick with it :)

#25 ·
I don't need to be the fastest car at the front of the pack when I'm driving so that's worked well for me and I'll stick with it :)
Funny you mention this. I was on a trip last month, and there were several cars in a caravan (not intentionally, just that no one wanted to be that 1st car). We were all hanging back about 6 MPH over the speed limit waiting for someone to make the move.

Wouldn't you know it, a BMW comes screaming by, and we all sped up to follow.

For once, fate was with us, and the BMW got pulled over a few miles down the road. Made my day!

#32 ·
So, according to your logic, if I have a set of bolt cutters, a hacksaw, and a prybar in my vehicle, which I do in my work van all the time, I should be arrested because I have the tools to commit a crime? Why don't you just arrest every woman in the U.S. also, they all have the 'tools' to commit prostitution....

#33 · (Edited)
Originally posted by jayg: Why don't you just arrest every woman in the U.S. also, they all have the 'tools' to commit prostitution....[/QUOTE]

:D

#37 ·
There's a classic speed trap on 55 or 57 north, crossing the Mississippi bridge from Missouri to Illinois. Missouri's side has a 75mph speed limit. Guess what the Illinois side has? You guessed it, 65. So everyone with a cruise control set is automatically 10mph over the second they hit the IL side of the bridge.

It's like a 24/7 barbeque on the IL side there is so much pork. Highway Patrol has tailgating parties on the side of the road. There are crossover bridges about 5-10 miles in (uphill) where they camp on those bridges and wait for traffic under them, like a reverse troll.

Tell me again why radar detectors are bad when clearly, some junctions are intentionally geared to make lawbreakers out of people who, 5 minutes ago, were law abiding citizens, all to line the pockets of a given state or municipality. Don't get me started about 1 cop towns that have dominion over a 2 mile stretch of interstate that passes through their little village. I think there's an infamous one in Ohio or PA that people have mentioned before.

Should everyone have one? Might level the playing field a little and shift enforcement where it needs to be, drunk and distracted drivers. Yes, I will concede that some people drive way too fast for their own (and other's) safety and they should be isolated and put in check. But that's usually easy; they have a propellor logo on the hood. ;)

#38 ·
There's a classic speed trap on 55 or 57 north, crossing the Mississippi bridge from Missouri to Illinois. Missouri's side has a 75mph speed limit. Guess what the Illinois side has? You guessed it, 65. So everyone with a cruise control set is automatically 10mph over the second they hit the IL side of the bridge.

It's like a 24/7 barbeque on the IL side there is so much pork. Highway Patrol has tailgating parties on the side of the road. There are crossover bridges about 5-10 miles in (uphill) where they camp on those bridges and wait for traffic under them, like a reverse troll.

Tell me again why radar detectors are bad when clearly, some junctions are intentionally geared to make lawbreakers out of people who, 5 minutes ago, were law abiding citizens, all to line the pockets of a given state or municipality. Don't get me started about 1 cop towns that have dominion over a 2 mile stretch of interstate that passes through their little village. I think there's an infamous one in Ohio or PA that people have mentioned before.

Should everyone have one? Might level the playing field a little and shift enforcement where it needs to be, drunk and distracted drivers. Yes, I will concede that some people drive way too fast for their own (and other's) safety and they should be isolated and put in check. But that's usually easy; they have a propellor logo on the hood. ;)

Our speed limit in Mo is 70, but the area you are talking about is actually slower in Mo than it is in Ill. (on I-55 at StL it's 60 before the bridge ) I-57 runs from east of Sikeston Mo into Ill, but that is only a 5mph drop there, 70 to 65. What gets you is the little podunk towns that drop it from 55 or 60 down to 30/35 on the other side of a hill or curve. One town got sued and lost over a sudden drop around a curve, and the local cop sat less than 500 feet past the sign, handing out tickets all day long. They now have a warning sign before the curve, and he has to allow for slowing down. Another place, drops from 55 to 35 for about a 1/4 mile, then goes back up to 45, just to get more tickets issued. Then there are the rolling speed traps, with the spotter on an overpass, and 5 or 6 troopers at the next exit waiting...

In west Kentucky where I work a lot, the state troopers blow past you at 80, talking on a cell phone, they're worse than some of those (propeller) drivers!:D

Sorry for running off the topic, It just irks me when someone says " Such and such should be outlawed" because of a few people abusing it's use.

#39 ·
I-57 runs from east of Sikeston Mo into Ill, but that is only a 5mph drop there, 70 to 65.
Yep, thanks for the correction, that's 57N and it does drop from 70 to 65. However, from what I do (and what I observe) is most people get comfortable at 5 over, so they're really driving 75 out of MO and hit that 65 on the other side of the bridge.

#40 ·
I was going to ignore the digs - I assumed the topic was dead until it was just brought up again. Afrosheen, you raise a legitimate point, but please, let's be honest here. People use radar detectors so that they can avoid getting ticket when they purposely speed. Do most people go over the speed limit at times? Sure(except for the ones who live in Boca Raton:D), but basically the complaints are about police enforcing a law that one does not agree with, so you go out and get a device that short-circuits that enforcement. You know that police and troopers very rarely give a ticket to someone going 5 mph over the speed limit. It's the ones going 90(and above) in a 70 mph zone who are most likely to get a ticket, and therefore must have a detector. As I stated in my original post, I was almost killed because of the idiots who were in the process of passing me. So, I have a different perspective than the ones who think that they should be allowed to do whatever they like, without any restriction. That's the definition of anarchy, not civilization. Since what I say isn't going to change those minds, I just ask that you consider those around you, and be aware that not everyone sharing the road with you is going to have the same skills as you THINK you have.

Oh, and by the way, for those who brought up the tired cliché of women and men having the "tools" to break the law - try to come up with another argument, one that's not so trite and overused.:p

#41 ·
I don't disagree with you about some people driving 90 and have had a few close calls myself. I average around 50,000 miles a year driving for my job, and I have seen the idiots that are out there. But in the days before radar or detectors, there were still idiots that drove way over the posted limits and put people at risk or killed them because of their stupidity, and I'm sure Virginia still has plenty of accidents caused by speed. I personally do not speed, I have a class A commercial driver's license, I am paid the same for driving as I am for working, and I allot time to get to the job site. I don't own a radar detector, and, I also don't blame a little inanimate object for people's stupidity, I blame the person.

Okay, technically, I do blame an inanimate object, it's their brain...:D

I taught my kids the number one rule of driving. Neither has had a wreck and both are very good drivers, my daughters boyfriend asked her once if she had taken special classes for defensive driving or something because she handled her car so well. She recited rules one and two for him...

I used the 'Fight Club' style of rules.
The first rule of driving is: Drive like everyone else is a complete and total idiot.
The second rule of driving is: Drive like EVERYONE else is a COMPLETE and TOTAL IDIOT!

#42 ·
O.K., at least we can agree on something.:D Just to give you a perspective. My wife was a police officer, so she saw a lot more idiots that I did(though, many years ago, I was a part-time cab driver in Miami, and survived). She once told me that I was the best "civilian" driver she had ever known. I like to think so.;)

#43 ·
I was a tow truck driver years ago, picking up what was left of cars after wrecks. I've seen more than I ever wanted to. (my boss was a scanner vulture, I got there before they cut the people out sometimes) It did make me a more alert driver, and that's when I adopted my #1 rule. People are going to do stupid things regardless, but, if that radar detector goes off, maybe they will slow down a little, and might miss you on that next sudden lane change/left turn/cell phone call/mobile fast food table, etc.

I've even seen people reading books and newspapers in heavy traffic, at 60+ mph, nothing they do can suprise me any more.

And, if the new collision avoidance system sets a few off, all the better if it slows them down!

You say your wife was a cop? Ask her if they ever put a dummy car with a radar gun out somewhere to slow people down. I've seen a few small towns do that when the (usually one) cop is off duty. Works pretty well for out-of-towners, locals figure it out usually.

#44 ·
You say your wife was a cop? Ask her if they ever put a dummy car with a radar gun out somewhere to slow people down. I've seen a few small towns do that when the (usually one) cop is off duty. Works pretty well for out-of-towners, locals figure it out usually.
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, as she is no longer alive(though not job related), and it's not something I relish talking about. Sorry.

#47 ·
He said that because I said that's how it works. I'm a car salesman. I'd never lie.

Yes, that's how Infiniti told me it works in tech training.

#48 ·
I'd really like to see documentation on how this works. I thought sonar would have to receive a signal back at the car to know that a car is actually two cars ahead. If it bounces off the road to hit the car in front...and the signal hits the car and bounce's back...how does it get back to the Q50. I'm not doubting anyone here, I'm just curious as to how it actually works.

#49 ·
Below is a press release. Personally, I wouldn't trust this. I mean they have plenty of bugs with inTouch.

Nissan Releases Latest Safety Innovations

YOKOHAMA, Japan (October 12, 2011) - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today released its latest safety technologies to help reduce fatal and serious injuries caused by accidents involving vehicles, based on the Company's "Safety Shield" concept.

By improving signal processing technology of vehicle-equipped cameras which helps enable the detection of people, other vehicles, road and obstacles around the vehicle, the Acceleration Suppression for Pedal Misapplication and Multi-Sensing System with Rear Camera help drivers to take avoidance behavior before an accident might occur.

In addition, the Predictive Forward Collision Warning System, which uses millimeter-wave radar to detect the deceleration of the second vehicle in front, alerts the driver in advance of a sudden drop in speed of the vehicle two cars ahead.

(break)

3. Predictive Forward Collision Warning System

To help prevent pileup accidents resulting from the deceleration of vehicles in front and out of view, a sensor installed in the front of the vehicle analyzes the relative velocity and the vehicular gap existing between the two vehicles in front. When the system determines the need to decelerate, it warns the driver in advance with a buzzer, signal on display, and also by tightening the seat belt.

#51 · (Edited)
I just got my fourth alert today after having the car for 6 months. It's a really awesome system. The 3rd time I got it was because the car in front of the one in front of me had stopped to make a left. The in front of me, instead of slowing down, just did a sudden lane change to the right. I'm sure we've all been there. You're cruising along and then the car in front of you suddenly changes lanes revealing a dead stopped car causing you to have to slam on the brakes. Not this time, I had already stopped thanks to the warning by the time the car in front of me did his sudden lane change to the right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.