·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, some glimpses of the nav and apps.
Yea, i wish they showed more of the touchscreen and commented about its functionality/feel! :(

Reactions: GtoQ

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I'm loving the menu functionality. It looks very premium and very quick in navigation.

The car looks a lot more aggressive in the rear in real life. I'm still a huge fan of the tail light design:

Best part of the video:

GIF MASTER....:cool:

Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Loving the the double displays. Looks very posh.

The third gif looks like the monitors are malfunctioning or is that just a trick with the lighting?

No. It's a symptom of capturing LED light on camera.

It has to do with the video-sync (refresh rate) mismatch of the recording and the LED lights. Basically speaking the LED light output refresh rate is different than that of the video recording and thus you see a "flicker" of sorts.

This is the same general effect you see when you video record a CRT (standard) computer monitor set to a low 50 or 60hz refresh rate.

The LED lights wouldn't be flickering when looked at directly with the human eye because they refresh faster than the human eye can detect and the eye blends it all together where a camera can not.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I'm loving the menu functionality. It looks very premium and very quick in navigation.

This reminds me of some random Youtube hater recently talking about how the touch screen speed on Infiniti's website demonstrating the "Q50 Technology" was fake, simulated, and it wasn't going to be as quick in the real car.

Well, this new video and this GIF proves that navigating on the touch screen is going to be just as responsive as we've seen before in all of the videos before.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
This reminds me of some random Youtube hater recently talking about how the touch screen speed on Infiniti's website demonstrating the "Q50 Technology" was fake, simulated, and it wasn't going to be as quick in the real car.

Well, this new video and this GIF proves that navigating on the touch screen is going to be just as responsive as we've seen before in all of the videos before.
It's true that some of the stuff we've seen minus the Nav and steering settings were prototype, staged shots. The demo cars making the rounds are running a software build only about 6 days old at this point, and I saw it crash last Tuesday. (One of the experts said, on Tuesday, the software build was 3 days old).

Running headlights and all the electronics for hours was killing the battery over and over, so they kept hooking up different chargers and rebooting it. After one reboot, the driver's screen said no key found with the key laying on top of the instrument cowl. It also showed 3 doors open on the same screen but only 2 were open. Opening and closing the mistaken door didn't correct it. One of the expert guys rushed over for a minute and killed the power and brought it back up, and it started behaving again.

HUGE DISCLAIMER ON PASSENGER DASH SIGN said it's a factory prototype and not a final build. They will, of course, continue to refine the software and apps long after the car hits dealers. Updates can be distributed via USB (I saw 2 connectors in the arm rest box), DVD or wirelessly via a phone running the Infiniti connection app. Of course I imagine you can just make the dealer do it if you're a technophobe, 10 minute job and a free car wash. :p

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I truly hope they polish everything before releasing the Q50 and make it a fluid system!

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I truly hope they polish everything before releasing the Q50 and make it a fluid system!
Well--this is partly another reason why I'm afraid to pre-order a brand new production car with brand new technology in it.

Having worked in the auto industry, there are constantly small changes and updates made to the cars as claims and repairs come in so that adjustments can be made accordingly. You go out and get those first cars out of an early batch and you're more likely to run into a few problems here and there..

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well--this is partly another reason why I'm afraid to pre-order a brand new production car with brand new technology in it.

Having worked in the auto industry, there are constantly small changes and updates made to the cars as claims and repairs come in so that adjustments can be made accordingly. You go out and get those first cars out of an early batch and you're more likely to run into a few problems here and there..
Yea, i feel the same way as well and am reluctant as well to put a pre-order down! I mean I am truly excited but at the same time i want everything to be functioning properly and not have to keep going back to the dealer for minor fixes! Ill try and hold off my urges till december! :D

·
Registered
298 Posts

Working in software industry and have to say small adjustments here and there is absolutely normal. Car is not an airplane. Running life support system in hospital under Windows supervision is much worse....

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts

You're absolutely right. Every first run buyer is a dedicated beta tester. I told my salesman I was aware of the risk but their service department has been patient with me in the past and addressed everything I brought up in a timely manner.

When I got my off-lease '04 I had 3 years left on the warranty. Within the first few months I had a list of gripes and TSB's that matched them. I waltzed in and handed them the list. They handed me the keys to a loaner. 2 days later I had my car back and they had fixed every single problem (mostly rattles and little things). When I had a warm idle problem they replaced the throttle body. Sunroof jerky when closing? They replaced the motor assembly in an afternoon.

With this kind of service, it makes you fearless because you feel that they will address any problems quickly and professionally. You really have to trust your service department to buy a first run, mostly new model. I would be a little more scared if it had an all new drivetrain though. I know some of the revup coupes had to have entire blocks replaced under warranty.

The software and apps don't scare me a bit. I know they are probably busting their humps daily to get it good enough for release and will continue to smooth it out and improve it. It's an intel-based PC in the dash with USB ports in the console, pure and simple, and if the hardware is adequate, software updates are all they have to worry about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.