Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like InfinitiPlusOne, I drove a Q50 Sport Hybrid today and I'm equally impressed. I currently have a 2008 G35S sedan with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, so I thought I could add some perspective relative to the prior generation.

Getting in the car, I was struck by how much more attractive and more upscale the interior is than the last generation. The pictures don't fully capture the difference. It's a huge improvement. It also has about an inch more legroom in the back which helps.

The biggest thing that struck me during the brief test drive was the reduction in road noise. The car is noticeably quieter overall, but subjectively it's as if they've cut the road noise by half or more. Between the quietness and the interior richness it feels much more like a true luxury car, but without trading away the power and responsiveness it always had.

The Hybrid power train is great. I didn't push it hard, but I could still feel the torque increase from the electric motor compared to my car. One small disappointment is that the electric motor doesn't put out a lot of power (67hp?) so unless you drive like there's an egg under the accelerator, the gas engine comes on instantly when starting out. I was hoping to be able to keep it in electric only mode more often. On the upside, transitions are very smooth. I haven't driven the M hybrid, but I've read that the transitions are not that smooth, so apparently they've improved things here. My boyfriend has a Prius which I drive pretty often and I've driven a number of other Toyota and Lexus hybrids and I think the Infiniti Hybrid powertrain matches Hybrid Synergy Drive for smoothness which is a good thing.

We were mostly on smooth roads, but I felt that the suspension combined with the 19" wheels was a bit stiffer and "busier" than my car on its 18's. How much of the firmer ride was down to the larger wheels and how much of it was suspension I couldn't say. The steering did feel sharper so for some drivers, the trade off would be worth it. But I'd advise driving a Sport over poor road surfaces before signing.

One last thing about mileage. I reset the gas mileage monitor on the trip computer and during the test drive over hilly roads and with lots of traffic lights, it averaged 20.4. I then took my car over the same route and got 16.4. I would make some allowances for the new car not being broken in, plus the salesman was with me during the test drive and I was solo in my car, so that's a difference of maybe 200 pounds or so. But still, I was hoping for a bigger gain in mileage. EPA says 28/34 for the hybrid, and 20/29 for the 3.7. My car was rated at 17/24. I haven't decided whether I would get the hybrid or the 3.7 for myself. I'm signed up for the launch event Thursday along with a test drive, so I'll try the 3.7. I think it will just come down to which is more fun to drive, and whether the added power of the hybrid really offsets the added weight.

I'll be interested to hear what others say after their test drives. I'll take mine in Venetian Ruby!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Good to hear another test drive review! Any videos if the test drive?

Road noise reduction seem to be pretty consistent with all the test drives and its nice to hear! Ever get to try the adaptive steering or any other tech?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
No pics taken? :(

Did you mess with the infotainment system at all? What did you think about the Intouch system? Did you get much time with the little navigation knob down on the center console?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, didn't get pics

Good to hear another test drive review! Any videos if the test drive?

Road noise reduction seem to be pretty consistent with all the test drives and its nice to hear! Ever get to try the adaptive steering or any other tech?
Sorry, I should've taken some pics to post. I didn't play with the different steering modes and only used the touch screens little bit, but it did seem intuitive for what little I tried. The response time seemed fine. I'll do better at the launch event Thursday!

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Sorry, I should've taken some pics to post. I didn't play with the different steering modes and only used the touch screens little bit, but it did seem intuitive for what little I tried. The response time seemed fine. I'll do better at the launch event Thursday!
Yes please!

I haven't heard enough feedback from those test driving this car about the direct adaptive steering... :(

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Haha its all good! Looking forward to your pics/vids then! :D

Yes please!

I haven't heard enough feedback from those test driving this car about the direct adaptive steering... :(
I think its probably due to that they're excited to drive that they forget to tamper with it and also, with whatever setting it was on when they got in the car, the steering already felt nice so they never bothered! Closest i think we had was the review from djohnson!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The benefit of the hybrid electric motor is not the horsepower, but the instant availability of torque. It got 214ft-lb at zero RPM, hence the term they called "Direct Respond Hybrid". When you do a quick acceleration on the Q50s hybrid especially when you put it in the Sport mode, the instant acceleration is truly breathtaking. I believe the Q50s hybrid is the answer to BMW and Audi low end torque.

The Hybrid power train is great. I didn't push it hard, but I could still feel the torque increase from the electric motor compared to my car. One small disappointment is that the electric motor doesn't put out a lot of power (67hp?) so unless you drive like there's an egg under the accelerator, the gas engine comes on instantly when starting out. I was hoping to be able to keep it in electric only mode more often.

Reactions: GtoQ

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Thanks for the review ... How did the exhaust sound on the hybrid?

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Thanks for the review!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point about the run-flats

I forgot about the run-flat tires, thanks for pointing that out. The ride actually felt pretty smooth over expansion joints and lane divider dots. The stretch of rode we were on didn't have potholes or anything drastic, but a bit of a "wavy" quality that made the ride a bit jiggly. Certainly not terrible, it just made me wonder how it would be on really bad pavement.

As for the exhaust note, it was very muted and I heard more engine mechanical sound than exhaust. The distinctive exhaust not of the current car seems to be gone. Given that the car now reaches into the low to mid fifties price-wise, they probably had to go for quiet at the expense of a little character. The good news is that they kept the responsiveness that makes the car so much fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
So, just curious....I will be leasing my Q50...IF I end up needing to replace my tires on the Q50 during my 39 month lease, will I be required to purchase run-flats, or can I get away with turning the car back into Infiniti without runflats and just regular 19" tires?

Reactions: jkay

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, just curious....I will be leasing my Q50...IF I end up needing to replace my tires on the Q50 during my 39 month lease, will I be required to purchase run-flats, or can I get away with turning the car back into Infiniti without runflats and just regular 19" tires?
You will have to return with run flats. This is the policy which BMW follows, should be same with Infiniti.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
You will have to return with run flats. This is the policy which BMW follows, should be same with Infiniti.
Ahhhh what the heck are run flat tires? I had my tires replaced last year and have no idea if the original or the replacements are run flat but I certainly don't want to be on the hook for $2000 tires like they wanted to charge me for replacements last year (went elsewhere).

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Ohhh good to know. Thank you. Nice to have those type of tires. NO clue if that is what is on my G37 now but in betting not. Ahhhh I've got my inspection next week so I guess I'll find out. If they tell me they are going to charge me $2000 to put some on, I will definitely take the CarMax deal!
The G did not come with RFT's and as long as your not at the wear bars you should be ok ...

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
The G did not come with RFT's and as long as your not at the wear bars you should be ok ...
OH THANK GOODNESS!!! That is a big relief!!! Just had my car serviced at Infiniti and the tires were in the green so they better not say otherwise next week during the inspection. Thanks!

Reactions: GtoQ

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
OH THANK GOODNESS!!! That is a big relief!!! Just had my car serviced at Infiniti and the tires were in the green so they better not say otherwise next week during the inspection. Thanks!
It shouldn't matter anyway if you're getting another Infiniti lease, they generally only charge people for things if you're walking away.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.