Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Just checking to see if anyone has boosted their Q50S yet? I recently purchased a Q50S hybrid awd. I love it but I am looking to boost it so any advice would be great. Either turbo or supercharge, anyone with advice or insight please chime in!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
New to the forum. Just checking to see if anyone has boosted their Q50S yet? I recently purchased a Q50S hybrid awd. I love it but I am looking to boost it so any advice would be great. Either turbo or supercharge, anyone with advice or insight please chime in!
no one yet - at least in this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I'd stay tuned to Stillen. I heard they're doing something super cool.

Reactions: Team_STILLEN

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ya I haven't hear anything either. My manager actually has a Q50S Hybrid and wants to do the same thing and when the Stillen guys came in, they said they might have something on the way and left it at that.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I think you'll have better luck building a custom turbo/supercharged setup than waiting for one of these manufactures to make that type of power upgrade to a hybrid.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
It's really just a 3.5L at the end of the day?
Am I missing something else?
I tend to agree. But you definitely would need to take into account things like the interaction with the clutches and the electric motor. The car has definitely been tuned to balance the drive from electric AND gas motors. If you supercharge the gas portion, you definitely change that balance.

Supercharger plus stillen exhaust on a hybrid. That's gonna sound sick. With install, you're probably looking at close to $9K. I wonder what the cost of Eau Rouge is going to be?

Oh, and can we get some jokes about how superchargers blow?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's really just a 3.5L at the end of the day?
Am I missing something else?
Yes. In order for the Hybrid system to work properly, the input of Torque and HP from the Gas engine has to be pre-designed, and pre-programed.

I can think of even an Air intake to the engine, and your Hybrid will re-act different. Suddenly, it may charge earlier, or later....stuff like that.

ICE and Motor have to communicate to each other, and this was designed by the engineer. Therefore, the ICE engine with BOOSTS will create an Un-Imaginable amount of Torque, and HP, that were totally Un-Expected, and Un-Educated to the Electric Motor CPU. Basically, they both speak in different language now.

The problem with a Modded Hybrid Vehicle is neither the Electric Motor, nor the ICE. It is the way they communicate to each other. This is like Tuning to 10x fold Harder levels

So, for Mods friendly, go with 3.7. With Piece of mind, and economy, go with Hybrid

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I tend to agree. But you definitely would need to take into account things like the interaction with the clutches and the electric motor. The car has definitely been tuned to balance the drive from electric AND gas motors. If you supercharge the gas portion, you definitely change that balance.
What downside do you see to daily driving if say you added 100HP using a turbo or supercharger without adjusting the hybrid system?

Where are things going to go wrong???

I'm just trying to think in my daily driving where the car would care if the 3.5L had more horsepower in the higher RPM ranges.
I can't think of any.. but I probably don't know best anyway. :)

Yes. In order for the Hybrid system to work properly, the input of Torque and HP from the Gas engine has to be pre-designed, and pre-programed.
Where did you dig up this info?

It seems simply a relationship of load more from the electric motor.
It (the electric motor) can either propel the car on it's own or can't.
And when you stomp on it, it will kick in for an extra boost.

I don't think it cares very much about how much torque and horsepower comes from the gas engine because the limiting factor is the electic motor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What downside do you see to daily driving if say you added 100HP using a turbo or supercharger without adjusting the hybrid system?

Where are things going to go wrong???

I'm just trying to think in my daily driving where the car would care if the 3.5L had more horsepower in the higher RPM ranges.
I can't think of any.. but I probably don't know best anyway. :)

Where did you dig up this info?

It seems simply a relationship of load more from the electric motor.
It (the electric motor) can either propel the car on it's own or can't.
And when you stomp on it, it will kick in for an extra boost.

I don't think it cares very much about how much torque and horsepower comes from the gas engine because the limiting factor is the electic motor.

I have been tailing the CT200H from Lexus performance from FOX marketing on a Super Charger for couple years. I don't have a solid source, but those were what gathered.

Think about it, the immediate torque from the Motor, say 200 lb/ft at 0-2500 rpm. Then the ICE was designed and tuned to start picking up torque from 70 lb/ft from 1300 rpm and increase in a linear fashion. The torque from the ICE to the Drive shaft is not Interfering to the Motor, so the motor was designed to continue do it job as continuing the rotational speed, or turn of and leave the drive shaft freely

Now, if you were to boost your ICE, and it now have earlier torque, the Motor torque will be interrupted by the ICE. Then the Motor will not know what to do in this case.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Andrew, I'm not sure what the potential problems would be. Where's SteveTheTech? I'm not saying that adding hp would make driving it more problematic. I'm just saying I'd want to make sure that mechanically the two work properly together. Adding a lot of hp to the gas side of the equation, without making adjustments for the change in balance of power, could easily mess up the running of the motors.

Speaking of boost. This car just came in for service. Stock wheels/tires and a Stillen supercharger. Talk about a sleeper.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
CT200H also uses a CVT transmission.
So I don't know how much of a parallel you can make to the Q50.

If I have time I'll look into turbocharded prius'.
But again even with the prius, I'm not sure the transmission is setup the same as the Q50.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Andrew, I'm not sure what the potential problems would be. Where's SteveTheTech? I'm not saying that adding hp would make driving it more problematic. I'm just saying I'd want to make sure that mechanically the two work properly together. Adding a lot of hp to the gas side of the equation, without making adjustments for the change in balance of power, could easily mess up the running of the motors.

Speaking of boost. This car just came in for service. Stock wheels/tires and a Stillen supercharger. Talk about a sleeper.
Haha cool. :cool:
Looks like he has had the supercharger in there a long time based on the dust layer.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Wait.....You do service vehicles with After market parts now ? That is something new:confused: At the Dealer ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.