Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of the really marketable technology in the Q50 is easy to drool over, such as the Hybrid AWD system. But when I first saw the specs for the car back in January, another thing jumped out at me. From the Q50 microsite:

* Automatic on/off LED headlights with daytime running lights
* Front LED fog lights
* LED rear brake lights and center high-mounted stoplight (CHMSL)

The last one is nothing new. The LED fog lights are interesting, but nothing to knock your socks off. But LED headlights? You can count on one hand (maybe two, I have not undertaken the count) the number of cars sold in the U.S. with LED headlights. And the vast majority of those are high-end German luxury cars in the $100K-and-up category.

I am not talking about the LED daytime running light (DRL) craze that Audi started with the A4 some years back. These are all-LED headlights on the Q50. Not halogens. Not Xenon HIDs. As a point of reference, Mercedes-Benz is trumpeting its new 2014 S-Class as the first car in the world lit entirely by LEDs -- cabin lights, headlights, brake lights, turn signals, etc. (See LED Zeppelin: The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-class's Radical Lighting Scheme –*Feature – Car and Driver.)

I think this is a cool, very exclusive feature. I love it. The Q50 won't have too many incandescent bulbs in there, either. Too bad C&D hasn't recognized it yet.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I find them very interested and can't wait to see them in person. I can't wait to see them at night as I am driving with the exhaust roarrrrrrring!:p

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I know some of the really marketable technology in the Q50 is easy to drool over, such as the Hybrid AWD system. But when I first saw the specs for the car back in January, another thing jumped out at me. From the Q50 microsite:

* Automatic on/off LED headlights with daytime running lights
* Front LED fog lights
* LED rear brake lights and center high-mounted stoplight (CHMSL)

The last one is nothing new. The LED fog lights are interesting, but nothing to knock your socks off. But LED headlights? You can count on one hand (maybe two, I have not undertaken the count) the number of cars sold in the U.S. with LED headlights. And the vast majority of those are high-end German luxury cars in the $100K-and-up category.

I am not talking about the LED daytime running light (DRL) craze that Audi started with the A4 some years back. These are all-LED headlights on the Q50. Not halogens. Not Xenon HIDs. As a point of reference, Mercedes-Benz is trumpeting its new 2014 S-Class as the first car in the world lit entirely by LEDs -- cabin lights, headlights, brake lights, turn signals, etc. (See LED Zeppelin: The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-class's Radical Lighting Scheme –*Feature – Car and Driver.)

I think this is a cool, very exclusive feature. I love it. The Q50 won't have too many incandescent bulbs in there, either. Too bad C&D hasn't recognized it yet.
Don't get me wrong i love the look of the new headlights but they are already becoming main stream... They are available on the following the new Honda Accord, the new Acura MDX, Acura RLX, Lexus Ct200h , the Toyota Prius the list does go on .... Hate to say it but BMW isn't even bothering with the LED head lights they are already working on he next thing... LASER headlights

BMW developing laser headlights, officially over LEDs

·
Registered
53 Posts
The big selling point about these lights will actually be the fact that they will dip automatically so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic, but will retain full-beam on the area of the road you are travelling on.

In the interest of fairness, the LED lights will only be available as an option. It's an option on all grades except for the base model, which will come with standard halogens (and therefore not have the variable lighting mode)

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Scott, if I am not mistaken, you're not in the US... Correct? I think the LED headlights are standard here in the States but we will not have the adaptive high beam because the technology hasn't been approved by the government.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Even top end Honda Accord comes with LED lighting & LED daytime running lights.
Infiniti was too slow on bringing these things.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Scott, if I am not mistaken, you're not in the US... Correct? I think the LED headlights are standard here in the States but we will not have the adaptive high beam because the technology hasn't been approved by the government.
Yep, LED's are standard across the board for the US Q50. There is no HID or Halogen option even on the base model. Infiniti wouldn't sacrifice the new face of the Q50 to save $100 on the base model and create more complexity with a different housing, different wiring, etc. Here's the exact line from the Q50 microsite under options after choosing the base model:

"Automatic on/off LED headlights with daytime running lights S(tandard)"

The Adaptive stuff is an option, and it includes auto-leveling lights as well as the high beam automatic management.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[LED headlights] are available on the following the new Honda Accord, the new Acura MDX, Acura RLX, Lexus Ct200h , the Toyota Prius the list does go on...
Good catch. I missed the LEDs on the top-line Accord Touring and the two Toyota hybrids. I did know about the "jewel-eye" LED array on the RLX, which looks like something out of a science fiction movie. But I do not see any mention of LEDs on the MDX. I think you may be off on that one.

Regardless, the LEDs on the Q50 are just cool as heck in my opinion. I remember reading about BMW's laser headlights a few years back, but nothing has come of that. The Germans may have bitten off more than they can chew there.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Good catch. I missed the LEDs on the top-line Accord Touring and the two Toyota hybrids. I did know about the "jewel-eye" LED array on the RLX, which looks like something out of a science fiction movie. But I do not see any mention of LEDs on the MDX. I think you may be off on that one.

Regardless, the LEDs on the Q50 are just cool as heck in my opinion. I remember reading about BMW's laser headlights a few years back, but nothing has come of that. The Germans may have bitten off more than they can chew there.
They are cool as heck I don't dispute that.... The 14 MDX has the same jewel eye led's as the RLX

Acura | Future Vehicles - MDX | Acura.com)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
That's a pretty cool concept from BMW. We have auto hi beams on my wife's Lexus and I just had the dealer deactivate them. They only turn on/off automatically not all of the BMW listed attributes like in that video.

I found them VERY annoying. Often would turn off the HB from sign reflections. Turn off automatically under 25MPH and at stops so approaching an intersection at night is tough with no street lights. Plus, in our neighborhood, you can't go over 25mph but we often have deer walking across the streets. In order to turn on the hi beams in auto mode you have to manually pull and hold the stalk.

Hoping the newer tech makes them much more useful. I have been frustrated for a year since we bought her car as you can only deactivate them via the dealer so we've lived with them since getting the car. Much happier now!

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
That's a pretty cool concept from BMW. We have auto hi beams on my wife's Lexus and I just had the dealer deactivate them. They only turn on/off automatically not all of the BMW listed attributes like in that video.

I found them VERY annoying. Often would turn off the HB from sign reflections. Turn off automatically under 25MPH and at stops so approaching an intersection at night is tough with no street lights. Plus, in our neighborhood, you can't go over 25mph but we often have deer walking across the streets. In order to turn on the hi beams in auto mode you have to manually pull and hold the stalk.

Hoping the newer tech makes them much more useful. I have been frustrated for a year since we bought her car as you can only deactivate them via the dealer so we've lived with them since getting the car. Much happier now!
There's a camera, not just a photosensor, on the Q50 that ties in to the headlight auto low/high function. It's supposed to work perfectly as a result. I know older systems were very easily "tricked" by reflective stripes on traffic barrels and other reflective surfaces, because they were crude systems just using a photosensor that measures how much light is hitting the sensor. The light source could be anything therefore that system usually fails miserably.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, LED's are standard across the board for the US Q50. There is no HID or Halogen option even on the base model. Infiniti wouldn't sacrifice the new face of the Q50 to save $100 on the base model and create more complexity with a different housing, different wiring, etc. Here's the exact line from the Q50 microsite under options after choosing the base model:

"Automatic on/off LED headlights with daytime running lights S(tandard)"

The Adaptive stuff is an option, and it includes auto-leveling lights as well as the high beam automatic management.
Ah - my bad!

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
If the new Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) is anything like the current one, the headlights will also turn a little as you turn the steering wheel - more so to the right than the left). Plus the new feature of automatically dimming when they sense oncoming traffic.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure if I missed it somewhere online but I have yet to see a photo with the LED fog lights turned on. Anyone have a shot of this? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.