Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HP Tuners recenly upgraded to version 4.6.3. Nissan/Infiniti included in this STABLE version. Beta not needed BUT you WILL need an MPVI2.

I want to learn this platform (Nissan/Infiniti). Otherwise, I will teach myself when I get my Red Sport. Im already VERY FAMILIAR with HP Tuners (I currently tune GM and Mopar). Whatever I learn, I will share...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone using this yet? I JUST got mine back due to the accessory belt gremlins. Scanned a little bit before it went down. Havent looked at the stock tune file yet tho. That will be REALLY soon. Like THIS WEEK.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I use HPT for my Z06. I have Ecutek on the Q50. I'd be interested in more information about HPT for this platform if you want to share. I don't imagine I will switch from Ecutek though.

Reactions: jaydubb71

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use HPT for my Z06. I have Ecutek on the Q50. I'd be interested in more information about HPT for this platform if you want to share. I don't imagine I will switch from Ecutek though.
Are you doing your OWN tuning or relying on a remote tuner. If you are tuning it yourself, how did you get a hold of the software. I couldn't find in on their site. Wait... Let me correct that. I couldn't INSTALL it since I don't have a cable from them. So can you tune it yourself with ECUTEK?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be interested in more information about HPT for this platform if you want to share. I don't imagine I will switch from Ecutek though.
When I start tinkering, I will. No one is sharing info. Not even on HPTuners OWN FORUM, which is SAD...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
No individual is doing their own Ecutek tuning to my knowledge. I inquired about buying it and was never given an exact price, only that it was too costly for 1 person to buy to tune their own stuff with. JayD if you get a chance, pull the stock tune and send to me. I'll at least try to make a little time to open it and look around.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No individual is doing their own Ecutek tuning to my knowledge. I inquired about buying it and was never given an exact price, only that it was too costly for 1 person to buy to tune their own stuff with. JayD if you get a chance, pull the stock tune and send to me. I'll at least try to make a little time to open it and look around.
Oh I will be poking around in it also. I would pull it today but I won't have time. Just got her back yesterday. Oil pressure switch connector was damaged and they had to order it from JAPAN. LOL SMH! But I will post it over on the HPT forum when I do pull it...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Are you doing your OWN tuning or relying on a remote tuner. If you are tuning it yourself, how did you get a hold of the software. I couldn't find in on their site. Wait... Let me correct that. I couldn't INSTALL it since I don't have a cable from them. So can you tune it yourself with ECUTEK?
No, on the Q50 I'm using a remote tune from a master ECUtek tuner.

Correct. I inquired the same way and came to the same conclusion.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welp. I tried to pull my file last night and learned 2 things...

1. The radiator fans run during the read. Im not sure about the flashing BUT... I found the fuse for the fans so I will pull it next time before reading.

2 (And most important). I got the invalid definition error. I sent the file and the infolog to HPT last night and received a response ALREADY (Im actually impressed on their promptness on this one...). They will have the definition soon in an updated Beta. I did notice a variance in the OS version so I assume this may be the issue that needs to be resolved. I will keep you posted.

Oh... I also got a CEL after the read. IIRC it was "U0100(?) Lost communication with ECM". I cleared it via the scanner. It hasnt come back (yet)...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah that fan thing has been a gotcha for those with Ecutek. Better make sure the battery is charged or you have a charger hooked up so you dont corrupt during the flash write.
Oh yeah, I know. That was an OH SH!T moment for me. I found the fuse BUT I didnt pull it during the read out of fear of spiking the system voltage and BAM, no start condition and BACK IN THE SHOP. Nope. Ive had close calls flashing GM ECM's on vehicles when the owner SWEARS the battery is either NOT THAT OLD (LOL) or in GREAT condition. SMH...

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,617 Posts
For those of us who haven't done flash tuning, how do the fans interfere with the flash?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those of us who haven't done flash tuning, how do the fans interfere with the flash?
The fans running will drain the battery and if the battery drains too far, the flash (may not affect the read) will STOP. Once that happens, the ECM will fail and basically be a BRICK. I honestly cant explain why Nissan does this BUT this is the second vehicle Ive seen do this. The other was a 370Z, IIRC. I didnt tune that one but I pulled the file to poke around and see what could be changed (and the fans ran...). Nissan language looks difficult but interesting. I figured out Mopar madness so Im really looking forward to tinkering. One thing I DO LIKE about the Nissan/Infiniti files that I HAVE seen (Ive seen a 2018 Q50 or Q60 Red Sport file) is the FACTORY WIDEBANDS. It LOOKS LIKE (And I may be wrong. I havent seen MY FILE to create a "EQ Error" table yet) if you give the ECM a TARGET EQ Ratio/Lambda value, the ECM will MATCH IT in CLOSED LOOP. Unlike older GM and Mopar platforms where you have to give it a target, measure the AFR/Lambda in OPEN LOOP with a wideband, use the AFR/EQ Error to make corrections to your MAF/VE tables and repeat multiple times to get to your AFR/Lambda target.

I used to have a 2002 Maxima M6 a few years ago. There were no tuning apps available for it back then. Now theres a tuning app for them (Not HP Tuners. I wish). I have that software but nothing to try my hand on... yet...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pulls a ton of current without the car running which drains the battery and can cause a brown out while flashing. This could brick the ECU.
^^^What HE said. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,617 Posts
How long does it take to flash an ECU? I understand bricking flash memory. My JB4's chip was bricked when the firmware upgrade flash failed. I had to buy another chip from BMS or send the unit back in for repair. I bought the chip because it was a lot faster and came with the current firmware already flashed on it.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,617 Posts
It can take a couple minutes depending on platform. I haven't flashed this platform, but electric fans can pull 30A or more of inrush current an sag a weak battery pretty good.
If the fans run while flashing the ECU, I can see why pulling the fuse is prudent.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts