Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sorry, I should have clarified. The point of my post was that we cannot log knock without writing, which is tracked by the dealership and can cause a voided warranty. On the BMS JB4 side we've been waiting for the knock PID to be available for quite awhile. I had hopes of being able to use HPT to log the JB4 setup and see if there was any knock, but I cannot without a write first.

·
Premium Member
2016 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry, I should have clarified. The point of my post was that we cannot log knock without writing, which is tracked by the dealership and can cause a voided warranty. On the BMS JB4 side we've been waiting for the knock PID to be available for quite awhile. I had hopes of being able to use HPT to log the JB4 setup and see if there was any knock, but I cannot without a write first.
Yeah I wanted to see KR and EQ Error myself. I have every other channel logging except those. I don't think it's HPTuners fault. I just talked to someone and they stated that ECUtek has the same issue. Bummer. I'm going to wait for a little bit and then write it...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah I'm not blaming HPT, it's just a platform limitation from the factory it sounds like.
Since it appears these cars run WOT in closed loop, all I REALLY need is KR. Again, bummer...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yup, it is cool that it's closed loop at WOT with wideband O2 corrections. There is individual cylinder knock control too...we just can't see it hahaha.
Oh wow. I might have to take one for the team. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I'm not blaming HPT, it's just a platform limitation from the factory it sounds like.
So just so people have an understanding of what's going on, I'll try to break it down a little.

For logging, there are usually four different "modes" that manufacturers use. Not all manufacturers maintain these standards (looking at you Subaru), but for the most part they do.

Mode 0x01: This is SAE logging. There isn't anything secret about this, literally you can buy an SAE document about what PIDs do what and have all the information. Most generic logging apps like Torque or whatever else BT app you find on the app store uses this mode, unless otherwise specified. SAE requires a standard for logging that most manufacturers choose to follow. This is usually the slowest form of logging, but it allows a generic form of requesting PIDs without being manufacturer specific (i.e. a request for coolant temp on Nissan will be the same request on Ford)

Mode 0x21 and mode 0x22: These modes log common identifiers. You can think of common identifiers as manufacturer specific, but the same across all OSes for a single ECU (i.e. OSID 5CW1E and 4GK6A, different VR30 OSes, will be the same PID request for these modes). These are usually used for manufacturer specific diagnostic tools (and software like ours meant for diagnostics) since they are the same for everything, for example the Consult 3+ tool uses these. Useful, but there is a limitation on the number of PIDs manufacturers can shove into the list. Sometimes PIDs you want don't make the cut (in your case, knock feedback)

Mode 0x23: Read by memory address. These are direct PIDs returned directly from a RAM request. These vary from OS to OS, so they are more time consuming to define and as such you don't really find many manufacturers using mode 23 for diagnostics. In the case of the VR30, mode 23 isn't available without certain conditions being met. But when you read from RAM, basically whatever the manufacturer uses RAM for you can request (there are some limitations, but I don't want to write any more of a novel lol)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So just so people have an understanding of what's going on, I'll try to break it down a little.

For logging, there are usually four different "modes" that manufacturers use. Not all manufacturers maintain these standards (looking at you Subaru), but for the most part they do.

Mode 0x01: This is SAE logging. There isn't anything secret about this, literally you can buy an SAE document about what PIDs do what and have all the information. Most generic logging apps like Torque or whatever else BT app you find on the app store uses this mode, unless otherwise specified. SAE requires a standard for logging that most manufacturers choose to follow. This is usually the slowest form of logging, but it allows a generic form of requesting PIDs without being manufacturer specific (i.e. a request for coolant temp on Nissan will be the same request on Ford)

Mode 0x21 and mode 0x22: These modes log common identifiers. You can think of common identifiers as manufacturer specific, but the same across all OSes for a single ECU (i.e. OSID 5CW1E and 4GK6A, different VR30 OSes, will be the same PID request for these modes). These are usually used for manufacturer specific diagnostic tools (and software like ours meant for diagnostics) since they are the same for everything, for example the Consult 3+ tool uses these. Useful, but there is a limitation on the number of PIDs manufacturers can shove into the list. Sometimes PIDs you want don't make the cut (in your case, knock feedback)

Mode 0x23: Read by memory address. These are direct PIDs returned directly from a RAM request. These vary from OS to OS, so they are more time consuming to define and as such you don't really find many manufacturers using mode 23 for diagnostics. In the case of the VR30, mode 23 isn't available without certain conditions being met. But when you read from RAM, basically whatever the manufacturer uses RAM for you can request (there are some limitations, but I don't want to write any more of a novel lol)
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

OK. We all learn something every day. Sheesh. Wow. You guys really go deep huh? OK. Question, since I understand what youre saying, Somewhat... Lol! Is it slower to read these PIDs from RAM? My hardware/software knowledge says reading from RAM is faster but you never know...

·
Registered
19 Posts
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

OK. We all learn something every day. Sheesh. Wow. You guys really go deep huh? OK. Question, since I understand what youre saying, Somewhat... Lol! Is it slower to read these PIDs from RAM? My hardware/software knowledge says reading from RAM is faster but you never know...
There's not a simple answer to that, it depends. With mode 21 you can group request things into a single request, so sometimes that can be faster especially if you're logging a lot of PIDs. But for a single PID, RAM is faster

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
There's not a simple answer to that, it depends. With mode 21 you can group request things into a single request, so sometimes that can be faster especially if you're logging a lot of PIDs. But for a single PID, RAM is faster
Cool. Good to know. I will probably start throwing some mods on it when the quarantine eases up a little bit. I will definitely keep the community and HP Tuners updated.

Thanks Evan!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have much insight as to comparisons with ecutek other than we don't have their custom feature set (there are two OS Mods available with our system, enhanced datastream allowing for more PIDs to log and a hybrid speed density). We have more than the necessary tables available to fully tune a VR30 though
Hi, can i get more information on The hybrid speed density OS. i am currently tunning my 2016 q50 3.0t with hptuners, but i did not see any speed density os enhancments.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi, can i get more information on The hybrid speed density OS. i am currently tunning my 2016 q50 3.0t with hptuners, but i did not see any speed density os enhancments.
Click on the OS tab. Select the enhancement and then WRITE ENTIRE.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hmmm... I'll wait for Evan to answer that. I haven't tried that one due to warranty concern.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I don't have much insight as to comparisons with ecutek other than we don't have their custom feature set (there are two OS Mods available with our system, enhanced datastream allowing for more PIDs to log and a hybrid speed density). We have more than the necessary tables available to fully tune a VR30 though
Where is the Hybrid Speed Density option?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
On my os tab there is only one option." Enhanced data stream" I don't see any hybrid speed density" os to select from. Will this convert the load axis into Kpa ?
Same here. Im in communication with Evan at HPT. Whats your OS ID? I dont have this tab either. He told me he would have it added in my definition file this week...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well it looks like the base definition for 5CW1E was 5CW1B, which didn't have the SD patch either, which propagated the error....sorry about that guys, I'll get it added.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts