Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought one of the two that I need for the intakes... store only had one... dang! Will pick up the other in a day or two. Any feedback would be appreciated. Not sure how robust the MAF sensors are on this engine. I sure don't want to be the first one to try it out.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Yes sir! I believe FastGTR was the first to swap his! He actually has a guide on here how to do that!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I have them on why Q without any issues as well as high flow cats and a catback exhaust.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have them on why Q without any issues as well as high flow cats and a catback exhaust.
Enlighten me on the exhaust set up... I think you posted earlier about this. Didn't you fit a G37 system on?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What part number did you buy for the Q? The two I got based on K&N's site, 33-2399, doesn't fit. I'm so pissed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Round 2... Bought K&N filter part # 33-2375 and installed. First impressions are that the car seems to accelerate a little smoother through the entire RPM range. I seem to be getting 1 or 2 MPG improvement, will keep checking and reply later. Over all a little challenging on the install but I'm pleased with the upgrade so far.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Notice any difference?? What does the butt dyno (maxima forum reference, no h0m0) tell you?

I've done a high flow cat/exhaust update to my max, but it was underwhelming. Plus the drone from 2k-2.5k RPM range was a **** !!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Notice any difference?? What does the butt dyno (maxima forum reference, no h0m0) tell you?

I've done a high flow cat/exhaust update to my max, but it was underwhelming. Plus the drone from 2k-2.5k RPM range was a **** !!
I have an aftermarket y-pipe, high flow cat, and a Custom Maxima cat back exhaust on my 03 Maxima. The drone you speak of was horrible. I welded a baffle insert where the y-pipe connects to the cat and what a huge difference it made. I can't remember who made the baffle but if you want I can figure it out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Round 2... Bought K&N filter part # 33-2375 and installed. First impressions are that the car seems to accelerate a little smoother through the entire RPM range. I seem to be getting 1 or 2 MPG improvement, will keep checking and reply later. Over all a little challenging on the install but I'm pleased with the upgrade so far.
Sir, a little challenging is an understatement, I ended up putting back the OEM in order to been able to use the car, this after 2 hours of trying and trying and trying to close the whole assembly back, I managed to close one clip, but I never could do both correctly, because when I managed to close both clips the assembly got out of the 2 loops at the bottom.

In a summary, after 12 years installing K&N Filters in all my cars, I've never experienced something more frustrating, I mean, what could be easier than install Air filters?:confused: I ended up with both marked and scratched everywhere from all the efforts and the worst thing, I even had a lot of issues putting the OEMs back, but at least I could, so after I saw that I managed to put one OEM back I thought that maybe the angle or something with the K&N, and 1 hour later I was re-installing the OEM after I gave up, at least for now.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wow, that's pretty good, plus you can watch and re-oil this filter so it almost seems like it can pay for it's self over time with the MPG's you gain. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
194 Posts
kn filters for q50 hybrid don't exist yet and are waste of time & $$. IMHO
Well, not according to one of our fellow members, just click this link to see it in his Blog, and I can tell you that they should fix, why I couldn't? Well, that's another story... Like I said, maybe next time will have better luck and patience.

As for if it serves the purpose or not, well, I can't comment on that now but maybe someone who has done it already can.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sir, a little challenging is an understatement, I ended up putting back the OEM in order to been able to use the car, this after 2 hours of trying and trying and trying to close the whole assembly back, I managed to close one clip, but I never could do both correctly, because when I managed to close both clips the assembly got out of the 2 loops at the bottom.
I agree it was a little more challenging than I had anticipated but with patience and persistance I got them in. I guess I downplayed the install more than I should have, sorry man! If I knew how to post pics from my iPhone I'd put together a procedure with pics, but I'm a tard when it comes to these kind of technology things.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
No need man! Here's one by our very own fastgtr:

Infiniti Q50 Technical & Operational Blog: Installing K&N Drop in Air Filters into the Q50

So u guys installed those without referring to this DIY?
That's the link I posted earlier, in fact I decided to buy the filters after reading the blog, problem is that knowing that replacing my other 3 cars filters was a piece of cake I didn't think it will take more than 5 minutes both, and after seeing that simply by unsnaping one clip with the OEM filters in there, it was a nightmare to try to close it back, I read and read and even when it's a great help with very detailed info and pictures, once you are in the middle of it, knowing that the 2 tabs goes in the loops first, in order to be able to close it, doesn't help you do it, if you know what I mean, I gave my best that day, and still couldn't, will give it a try again soon, as soon as my hands heals...;)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
That's the link I posted earlier, in fact I decided to buy the filters after reading the blog, problem is that knowing that replacing my other 3 cars filters was a piece of cake I didn't think it will take more than 5 minutes both, and after seeing that simply by unsnaping one clip with the OEM filters in there, it was a nightmare to try to close it back, I read and read and when when it's a great help with very detailed info and pictures, once you are in the middle of it, knowing that the 2 tabs goes in the loops first in order to be able to close it, doesn't help you do it, if you know what I mean, I gave my best that day, and still couldn't.
Yea kinda saw after I posted this the link you had posted! Post was mostly directed @ Q'ed up since he wanted to post pics! Maybe he never came across this DIY!

I wanna do mine too but not in a hurry! Hopefully it'll just be as easy or just a little more difficult than on the G35!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yea kinda saw after I posted this the link you had posted! Post was mostly directed @ Q'ed up since he wanted to post pics! Maybe he never came across this DIY!

I wanna do mine too but not in a hurry! Hopefully it'll just be as easy or just a little more difficult than on the G35!
Well, I did my 2005 Maxima, 2008 G37, and my 2011 M37S, and it didn't take me more than 5 minutes each car, so with that I'm telling you that believe me it has been the most frustrating experience in my life doing a simple mod, so unless the gasser is just like the M and G, then you are in for a surprise, at least with the hybrid is like that.

Again, I know that is possible, I knew people have installed them and that frustrated me even more, so that's why I'm saying that I will try again soon, once I have some time and not in a rush, just in case...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reactions: gbert15

·
Registered
573 Posts
Installed my K&N filters tonight. Used FastGTR's blog DIY instructions. Thanks FastGTR! For those having trouble with this, unbolt the front filter housing, two bolts, and then lift the assembly out completely. Then you can easily place the filters, and attach the front and back part of the housing with leverage. The key is to align the tabs at the bottom with the notches. The filter is thicker, so squeeze once ligned up and close the top clips. Then put the assembled housing in place and bolt back up. The bottom of the housing has a "foot" that rests in a hole for alignment.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.