Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Apple CarPlay Apparently Available for All Infiniti Models

47K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Monsta121 
#1 ·
Looks like a dealership in Austin is installing aftermarket CarPlay functionality.

Reactions: AntQ50Rs
#6 ·
#4 ·
Hunter, you tease. You post this without getting more details? WTF? Your project this afternoon is to find out what's going on and get us the real details. For God's sake man, we need this info.

Reactions: ptatohed
#8 ·
For a second I thought you were going to tell me this is bogus! Ok, let me check out the dealer website and see what they say.

#9 ·
Overall I still see no real need for it. I'm an Android user so for me anyway, it wouldn't mean much to have Android Auto. My phone already does those things with simple voice commands. "okay google" Beep......call Tamie on her cell, boom/done.

#10 ·
Infiniti of Austin told me they charge about $950 all in for this. I'll pass at that price. Looks like the parts are $425 alone plus install. Seems nice but that's too much for something that should have been on the car for free. I have used CarPlay before and it's pretty nice. Be much better if Infiniti offered an OEM solution but I'm guessing that's not in the cards since it is likely a hardware issue.

#14 ·
I just called them and spoke with tech support and they have a 100% guarantee and a new steering wheel interface. Model specific and no wire cutting. Interesting...I'll have to think about it and see if anyone else wants to go first ;)

#29 ·
They are also referred to as suicide knobs. I do remember them from the old days when power steering was an option or wasn't available and you needed more leverage to turn the wheel.

#28 · (Edited)
I have been working with Cosmo over at Lsailt to make a few tweaks/bug fixes and become a distributor for their kits stateside if theres enough interest. I have the kit currently installed in my q50. I also have an extra kit for sale.
Installation takes about 1.5 hours and is pretty straight forward on the Q50. Let me know if you guys have any questions. I can help and make an install video anyone wants.

Reactions: NugentGL
#30 ·
Very interesting! I would absolutely like to see an installation video on the Q50.

I saw a video either by Cosmo or the other guy that showed the LsailT unit acting as the camera view for rear, front and side cameras. I only have a rear camera but would love to get a front camera and wondering how that would work. Any input since you have the unit?

#34 ·
It would really nice to see your install video when it's completed. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Monsta121
#38 ·
Getting struck by a meteor is a possibility also but I'd bet on it not happening just like an OEM CP/AA retrofit. The odds against either are probably the same.

#44 ·
There is a 20-Dollar-solution for apple carplay even in a Q50! :cool:

#45 ·
I kinda agree with you DeeCee, but that mount is not a solution as it is impossible to use while driving. I opted for the LsailT device and so far it has been great. I have full use of the steering wheel controls and knob just south of the shifter to control the unit. I think this is as close as we will ever get to a fully integrated CarPlay/Android Auto solution in sub-2020's.

#52 ·
#47 ·
Customer service has everything to do with a good business model. Toyota is a absolutely outstanding example of customer service and being a customer oriented automotive manufacturer. Make your customers happy and they come back. Clearly this is another reason why Toyota is doing so well. They make their customers happy including providing a retrofit for vehicles they already sold.

Toyota No. 1; VW makes biggest gain in ranking of most valuable car brands

#48 ·
Customer service has everything to do with a good business model. Toyota is a absolutely outstanding example of customer service and being a customer oriented automotive manufacturer. Make your customers happy and they come back. Clearly this is another reason why Toyota is doing so well. They make their customers happy including providing a retrofit for vehicles they already sold.

Toyota No. 1; VW makes biggest gain in ranking of most valuable car brands
Whatever Toyota is doing is irrelevant to this topic of an Infiniti CP/AA retrofit. Different hardware. Doesn't apply here.

#49 ·
It clearly applies. Other manufacturers have provided a retrofit for their customers. If it proves a success others will follow. That is how business works in a capitalist country.

Money is a motivating factor along with the constant change and upgrade of technology.

As stated before nobody would have thought years ago, angry old men would be bashing tires that could be driven for 50 miles without air on something called the internet using some type of electronic device.

#50 ·
It clearly applies. Other manufacturers have provided a retrofit for their customers. If it proves a success others will follow. That is how business works in a capitalist country.

Money is a motivating factor along with the constant change and upgrade of technology.

As stated before nobody would have thought years ago, angry old men would be bashing tires that could be driven for 50 miles without air on something called the internet using some type of electronic device.
You are obviously ignorant of electronics so it's pointless to again explain to you why Infiniti's hardware is not upgradeable. Infiniti said it isn't and that a retrofit will never happen. End of story. Toyota's head unit's are newer, from a different manufacturer and can be upgraded. Infiniti's head units have been the same since 2014 and are not upgradeable. Bringing Toyota up in this thread is irrelevant.

#51 · (Edited)
Ignorance is a angry old bully unable to understand or accept technology, business and capitalism. Technology can and has overcome tremendous obstacles.

Claiming other manufacturers that were able to retrofit their old technology within a very short period of time is irrelevant, is beyond ignorant. GM was a victim of this old and ignorant thought process. They had old executives that were ignorant as you. That old ignorant thinking cost many people their jobs.

#53 ·
Hi Everyone, New here: So I am definitely in the market for a car play retrofit. Question is how hard is the install, or is it worth 1k to have an aftermarket audio shop install it for me. probably yes, but curious if i can do myself, also the car play is touch screen i believe as well as the joy stick, is that correct? Has anyone purchased from Navtool, Naviks or JoyAuto and if so are you happy with purchase, did you install yourself or have help, etc any info would be really beneficial thanks!

#54 ·
It isn't necessary to post your same question twice. People will see the first one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.