Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
What type of cable are you using to connect apple tv?

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
That's pretty cool. Interested to know what the setup is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The output of the Apple TV is HDMI, but the inputs in the Q50 are composite. The conversion is done by a mini converter originally powered by a USB port. Both the Apple TV and converter run on 12 volts supplied by the accessory power in the console.

The Apple TV runs on 3.3 volts, and the converter runs on 5 volts. This is handled by separate step down modules:

The HDMI to composite converter: Amazon.com : ViewHD Universal HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter, Support PAL / NTSC Standard TVs : Electronics

I stripped the cases off and put all the soldered components into a recycled Apple Time Capsule box (cut down). I'm debating changing the form factor to fit directly into the center console, or mount it in the trunk. I can also easily connect any HDMI device in the future.

To clarify, I'm using my LTE iPad to serve as a wifi hotspot for the Apple TV, and to allow me to use my iPhone to control it via the remote app. The LTE is actually faster than Comcast in many cases! This allows me to do anything I can do with the Apple TV in the living room, just now in the car.

Before I knew I was getting the Q50, I had done this for my wife's JX35 so the kids could watch streamed videos, or pictures/videos stored on our iPhones via Airplay. So even if there's no LTE coverage, they could still watch downloaded content.

Link to my first video:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very cool. I'm surprised that Infiniti has not gone to HDMI or at least component!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
This is pretty awesome. I would do this if there was a way to bypass the brake sensor and have the video play on the screen without the parking brake having to be down. It would be nice if the passengers could watch a video or movie while I'm driving, I know its frowned upon but its still a nice feature to have.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Would be nice if Apple came out with a Lightning to Composite cable. I cant believe they would make a Lightning to 30 pin that doesnt support video!

When I had my 2009 Maxima I know there were people who were able to bypass the parking brake issue and get video playback thru the nav screen while the car was in motion.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Agreed. I still don't get how they didn't make a lighting to composite cable yet. I know they have a lighting to HDMI, then you have to use an HDMI to composite converter to get it to the Q.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I was hoping the bypass for the Q would be software based like the BMWs vs an actual device. Its probably going to end up being an actual device though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In order for the video to display, it takes more than just the parking brake being engaged. I think it may need to also be in park, and/or the car must not be moving (monitored by gps).

Engaging the parking brake just enough for it to start beeping while moving was not enough to display the video. Being so integrated into the car, I don't think it relies on 12v triggers like the old cars based on the diagnostics screens video posted in this forum. I hope I'm wrong!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Hmmm...this may indicate a software hack then that would allow this instead. Interesting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.