Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
Config most likely includes VIN but it's worth a shot. Also has data about BOSE/non-Bose
I don't think vehicle VIN is included in the configuration. How would others here who bought replacement DCUs that didn't require configuration get away with that?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
Good idea - I have yet to figure out where the CD card is but when the replacement arrives I'll
get to it. The mail to down here is taking forever at the moment, unless it is coming Fedex, DHL etc.
I think this us coming USPS.
It's an SD card instead of a CD and the slot is located on the external data input box which is in the console box:
Rectangle Font Parallel Drawing Diagram

·
Registered
Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD
1,239 Posts
I don't think vehicle VIN is included in the configuration. How would others here who bought replacement DCUs that didn't require configuration get away with that?
Youre right it's not VIN but it does have vehicle information since the DCU controls functionality like drive mode and user info

It's an SD card instead of a CD and the slot is located on the external data input box which is in the console box:
View attachment 107754
That's not the SD card I'm referring to, I'm referring to the one on the DCU motherboard. It's a microSD card installed from the factory.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
Youre right it's not VIN but it does have vehicle information since the DCU controls functionality like drive mode and user info

That's not the SD card I'm referring to, I'm referring to the one on the DCU motherboard. It's a microSD card installed from the factory.
Agreed. I thought the OP was referring to that. I didn't catch that he ordered another DCU. Photo of microSD slot location in DCU?

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Agreed. I thought the OP was referring to that. I didn't catch that he ordered another DCU. Photo of microSD slot location in DCU?
I'm not home right now to take great pictures, but I found these from when I started my reverse engineering efforts.

There is a hole in the enclosure so you can swap out the microSD card, though you might have to use a small screwdriver or tweezers to position it right. Also worth noting the orientation of the card is supposed to be microSD contact pics facing the screen side of the DCU.

This process can be done without breaking the warranty seal, however I do not believe that matters anyways.
Material property Font Electronic component Technology Gadget

Passive circuit component Circuit component Product Hardware programmer Microcontroller
Material property Font Electronic component Technology Gadget

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
I'm not home right now to take great pictures, but I found these from when I started my reverse engineering efforts.

There is a hole in the enclosure so you can swap out the microSD card, though you might have to use a small screwdriver or tweezers to position it right. Also worth noting the orientation of the card is supposed to be microSD contact pics facing the screen side of the DCU.

This process can be done without breaking the warranty seal, however I do not believe that matters anyways.
View attachment 107755
View attachment 107756 View attachment 107755
Filing this away for future reference. Good information. I knew we kept you around here for something. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
132 Posts
You should be good to just plug in and go if it came off of another hybrid. I've had people swap their 2014 screens with 2015-2019 models without needing any programming from the dealer. As long as you purchase a screen that came from a similarly configured vehicle. The only issue people ran into was the rear sonar stopped beeping when they went from the 2014 to the 2015-2019 screen.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Filing this away for future reference. Good information. I knew we kept you around here for something. ;)
If you want to file away an extra lick of detail, here's a fun snippet of stuff I've found about the DCU & it's configuration. I still need to make a write-up but I'm bored in class so here it goes.

Overview
The DCU is powered by an Intel Atom w/ a specialized automotive chipset that runs a specialized Meego Linux distribution developed by DENSO & Intel that has an Android subsystem. What's interesting however, is that the DCU operating system and its head unit software has no interaction with the vehicles CAN network, AV CAN network, or any of the IO on the unit. There are no direct CAN devices or GPIO accessible on the Linux system.

CAN interaction, power management, and AV configuration data is actually handled by a microcontroller on the back of the board. The DCU is really two separate computers. One is the Intel powered one that runs the frontend interface (the shitty one), and the other one is a microcontroller that handles the configuration table and all CAN communication. There is a communication link between the two that allows the Linux system to get data from the CAN bus and set CAN data for broadcast.

Analysis
It's actually a pretty intelligent layout. Infiniti got to use the same code & microcontroller platform they use for their other modules, so the DCU could have a configuration table that is read and written to like any other control module they make. This means they were able to copy the same process they used already, making the DCU configuration CONSULT III compatible.

Additionally, it adds a layer of protection from a CAN network safety point of view. Because the microcontroller is the only thing that can send/receive CAN messages, it acts as an inherent gateway between Linux & the CAN network. This means no matter what happens on the Linux side, the worst any process (even malicious) could do is whatever you can do on the radio anyways, as the microcontroller is presumably hardcoded to only perform certain allowed actions -- aka it can't send messages like start/stop/lock/unlock. This prevents Infiniti from following the footsteps of Jeep & OnStar. I wonder if it's also related to the fact that InTouch uses a platform called CarWings that has its own history of security issues and shut down the year this platform came out. Hmm.

The microprocessor also handles power management, so it can do things like keep the audio system & DCU powered on even when you shut the car off. (You can test this by pressing the SOS button and turning the car off). I assume it also keeps itself powered on for updates (if we ever got any).

How it changed my project's direction
When I started this project, I wanted CarPlay and CAN access. Now, I am working on a program that can be run from the home screen that launch a custom desktop environment with CarPlay & custom code. I am also working on implementing a system to change the drive mode, so we can customize the startup default.

However, now I have moved my CAN access goals towards the TCU. Since the TCU has access to all of the relevant CAN IDs I need, and had the power to send remote commands in a stock fashion, it's my natural first target for CAN logging & reverse engineering.

What it means for DCU config
First, you can swap the SD card all you want, config is stored on the motherboard. Sucks when the DCU is actually dead, but good for when microSDs start failing -- which I think we will see an increase in soon. Thankfully I have an image of 2016+, I just didn't have the hybrid or pre-2015 image.

What this also means is that I might be able to reverse engineer the system CONSULT III uses for reading & writing configuration using a CAN interface & laptop. I have a buddy who has an Infiniti compatible scan tool I might give it a shot with.

·
Registered
2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
8 Posts
Hi Nick - I have a DCU from a 2015 Hybrid on the way, so hopefully that will work. Do you know
if the AWD is an issue with changing the DCU?
I’ve got the same exact car with the same problem. It would be so helpful if you told me where to find the dcu that will have all the hybrid functions. Im having trouble finding a q50s hybrid donor dcu

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I’ve got the same exact car with the same problem. It would be so helpful if you told me where to find the dcu that will have all the hybrid functions. Im having trouble finding a q50s hybrid donor dcu
Might be able to help you out. DM me.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts