Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take up a light mod on my own. Word for the wise, get this done professionally if you don't have a steady hand. The curves on this car were super difficult to deal with, and if I had to do it over, I would've just shelled out the extra money to not have my baby all wrinkled up!

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not bad. Would look even better with tinted windows.
I plan on it! I just ordered an Invidia Gemini CBE which put a nice sized hole in my pocket ;)

They'll be tinted in the next couple of months.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,322 Posts
I plan on it! I just ordered an Invidia Gemini CBE which put a nice sized hole in my pocket ;)

They'll be tinted in the next couple of months.
The Invidia puts a much smaller hole in your pocket than some of the other CBs out there. Where did you buy, most places seem to be sold out?

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Invidia puts a much smaller hole in your pocket than some of the other CBs out there. Where did you buy, most places seem to be sold out?
I bought from Import Image Racing. They were able to get an order in with Nvidia, and it supposedly won't be finished fabricating until mid October.

I decided I'd rather wait and get the exhaust I want, rather than spend more or settle with a sound and look I wasn't after. I'll post some videos with before/after. I know that particular exhaust is lacking videos for my particular model (3.0t AWD).

·
Super Moderator
4,322 Posts
I bought from Import Image Racing. They were able to get an order in with Nvidia, and it supposedly won't be finished fabricating until mid October.

I decided I'd rather wait and get the exhaust I want, rather than spend more or settle with a sound and look I wasn't after. I'll post some videos with before/after. I know that particular exhaust is lacking videos for my particular model (3.0t AWD).
Mid Oct is two weeks away. Good deal. (y)

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,637 Posts
I decided to take up a light mod on my own. Word for the wise, get this done professionally if you don't have a steady hand. The curves on this car were super difficult to deal with, and if I had to do it over, I would've just shelled out the extra money to not have my baby all wrinkled up!
View attachment 95371 View attachment 95372 View attachment 95373
I found the more I did it, the easier it got, I did it myself on three out of four Q50's, $300 is not chump change. Take your time.

Reactions: stunt_101

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the more I did it, the easier it got, I did it myself on three out of four Q50's, $300 is not chump change. Take your time.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I might have to order more vinyl! For now, it'll stay as is until I build up some more vacation time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you use a heat gun? Also did you remove the trunk molding or just cut around it? You can’t really tell in the pictures how it came out. Looks good from a distance though. All the shops I had quoted wanted $550 all the way up to $615. For that price I will take my chances.

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you use a heat gun? Also did you remove the trunk molding or just cut around it? You can’t really tell in the pictures how it came out. Looks good from a distance though. All the shops I had quoted wanted $550 all the way up to $615. For that price I will take my chances.
I did use a heat gun, albeit a pretty crappy Ryobi cordless. I ended up just cutting around the trunk molding. I definitely don't let friends see the trim up close :p You're right. Saving myself 500 dollars up front isn't too bad of a deal for something easily reversible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got all the stuff in from amazon today so I’ll be attempting this and will report back when done. Worst case scenario I’ll just buy the carbon trunk trim eventually or leave it chrome. Mostly just want the doors and grille.

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got all the stuff in from amazon today so I’ll be attempting this and will report back when done. Worst case scenario I’ll just buy the carbon trunk trim eventually or leave it chrome. Mostly just want the doors and grille.
Some parts might take more than one try, just be patient and have a light on hand so you can see what you've missed. I personally enjoyed doing it, but it was frustrating at times. Good luck! Excited to see how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
4,322 Posts
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,322 Posts
^ That is awesome.

Reactions: PanicRev

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m not exactly sure why shops charge so much to do this. But here is my handles and front grill. I did not remove the front bumper just slapped a piece on and cut it out as I went. One key point is to make sure your blade is fresh and as sharp as possible. I recommend a precision kit but to each there own. Let’s see how long it will last. Lol

·
Registered
2020 Iridium Blue Q50 RS AWD
16 Posts
Any reason for leaving out the emblems? Just asking bcuz i plan on doing chrome delete soon and wanted to get some feedbacks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any reason for leaving out the emblems? Just asking bcuz i plan on doing chrome delete soon and wanted to get some feedbacks.
I left my rear chrome to match my q50 emblem for now. I plan on removing them and painting them separately. The Infiniti emblem would be fairly easy to wrap though since the edges are thick. The front I’m eventually going to get the illuminated one with a carbon overlay.

·
Super Moderator
4,322 Posts
I did my chrome "delete" with paint (used a shop, not me). I did every single chrome piece, even the emblems. Most has held up well over the 1.5 years except some flaking on the grill, one rear door handle, and one front door handle button. And I blame Infiniti's 'courtesy' power wash. :( I will have the affected pieces repainted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts