Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Q50 automatic transmission. It has 70k miles and at 75k the CPO warranty expires. I recently had an oil change, tire rotation and mulit-point inspection. The result of that inspection was that they indicated that they ATF should be changed/flushed as well as the power steering fluid. However, the owner's manual indicates that the 7 speed tranny requires no service (this is a mystery to me) and has no mention of power steering fluid replacement at all in the maintenance schedule. I asked the service rep how the tech came to the conclusions that these fluids needed replacement, and he replied that the tech found the fluids dark and dirty during the multi-point inspection.

Is the tranny fluid even able to be checked? Are they lying to me? Does the tranny fluid need to be changed ever?!? Does the power steering fluid need to be changed within 70k miles typically?

What would you do?

Thanking you for your comments in advance.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,087 Posts
I have a 2015 Q50 automatic transmission. It has 70k miles and at 75k the CPO warranty expires. I recently had an oil change, tire rotation and mulit-point inspection. The result of that inspection was that they indicated that they ATF should be changed/flushed as well as the power steering fluid. However, the owner's manual indicates that the 7 speed tranny requires no service (this is a mystery to me) and has no mention of power steering fluid replacement at all in the maintenance schedule. I asked the service rep how the tech came to the conclusions that these fluids needed replacement, and he replied that the tech found the fluids dark and dirty during the multi-point inspection.

Is the tranny fluid even able to be checked? Are they lying to me? Does the tranny fluid need to be changed ever?!? Does the power steering fluid need to be changed within 70k miles typically?

What would you do?

Thanking you for your comments in advance.
Yes, the ATF can be checked but there is no dipstick. If the ATF is dark or smells burnt, it should be changed regardless of what the maintenance schedule says. Same for the power steering fluid. Are they lying to you? I would like to think not but I can't answer that.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,301 Posts
Do they need to be changed...not according to Infiniti, but they only need the components of the car to last through the warranty period. A lot of it depends on how long you intend on keeping the car and how it has been driven. If it has been driven hard (is there a teenager allowed to use it?), it might be a prudent thing to do at this time. Do you plan on keeping it for another five-plus years? If so, I would probably change them. Are you gonna trade the car in within a year or two? I would probably skip it. ATF will darken a bit with age, but if it smelled burnt, I agree with Avedis, change it. A lot of dealers push maintenance services that are not necessarily recommended by the car manufacturer. Car enthusiasts tend to over-maintain their vehicles and people who use them as appliances tend to do the opposite. Is the dealer shady, probably not, but we really can't tell. If you get the services done, you'll feel better in that you probably did what is best for the car. If you lost your job due to the economy and you won't make your mortgage payment, skip it and sleep well, the car will probably still be going strong when you are sick of it and can't wait to get rid of it.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do they need to be changed...not according to Infiniti, but they only need the components of the car to last through the warranty period. A lot of it depends on how long you intend on keeping the car and how it has been driven. If it has been driven hard (is there a teenager allowed to use it?), it might be a prudent thing to do at this time. Do you plan on keeping it for another five-plus years? If so, I would probably change them. Are you gonna trade the car in within a year or two? I would probably skip it. ATF will darken a bit with age, but if it smelled burnt, I agree with Avedis, change it. A lot of dealers push maintenance services that are not necessarily recommended by the car manufacturer. Car enthusiasts tend to over-maintain their vehicles and people who use them as appliances tend to do the opposite. Is the dealer shady, probably not, but we really can't tell. If you get the services done, you'll feel better in that you probably did what is best for the car. If you lost your job due to the economy and you won't make your mortgage payment, skip it and sleep well, the car will probably still be going strong when you are sick of it and can't wait to get rid of it.
Good points, thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts