Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just installed the AuCAR Android Mark 5 Tesla style screen over the weekend. I picked up the system on Alibaba from AuCar. They also have a website but the price listed on the site is more than what I got it for going direct on Alibaba. Let's just say I got it for less than what a Mark 3 system normally costs. The sales rep, Emma Peng, has been very helpful and responsive and got me in touch with their engineer on Whatsapp in case I had any issues/questions. Shipping time was pretty fast considering it shipped from Hong Kong via DHL. It was shipped express which was included in the price she quoted me. They shipped it on 6/1 and I got it on 6/3. Processing time after payment was about 3 days. The install was pretty easy because I had previous experience taking apart interior pieces to install a JoyeAuto system which I didn't really like so I made the change to this. The hardest part which took the longest was trying to figure out where to route the mic, mini speaker, and GPS antenna. I'm lovin' the system so far. No major issues. It has voice recognition when you press the voice button on the steering wheel. You can tell it to open and close certain apps, play/pause/stop, and a list of other commands. I was surprised that I didn't need to open the steering column to install a cable for steering wheel controls like I've seen with the Mark 3. It's integrated with the Mark 5.

Here are some pics.

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
166 Posts
Looks cool! Can the aspect ratio of the middle screen (portion showing the car) be adjusted? Looks a bit odd (and the controls are the same as portions above and below, so not clear on why middle section is needed)

Reactions: thejensen

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks cool! Can the aspect ratio of the middle screen (portion showing the car) be adjusted? Looks a bit odd (and the controls are the same as portions above and below, so not clear on why middle section is needed)
I'm not sure if the aspect ratio can be changed but you can swipe that middle screen left or right to get images of beaches and mountains and such. You can put your own image in the middle screen I guess.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Can you put something on full screen, no screens, just one big screen?

Reactions: thejensen

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just installed custom firmware from Sergey Kozlov with custom boot animation, themes, and logos. It fixes some of the bugs on Tesla style screens. He runs a Facebook group called Tesla Style. Firmware and HeadUnits.

Click ->> Custom boot animation

I still have the original screen protector they put on for shipping.

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
166 Posts
I just installed custom firmware from Sergey Kozlov with custom boot animation, themes, and logos. It fixes some of the bugs on Tesla style screens. He runs a Facebook group called Tesla Style. Firmware and HeadUnits.

Click ->> Custom boot animation
Ok, that looks WAY better. Big improvement with new firmware.

Loving that boot screen too. After first round of performance mods go on my car, I know i'll be tempted to try one of these.

Circle back with some user testing after you've played around with it for a bit. Would love to get more feedback on performance/reliability.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@RedSport18 how's it working out for you? Interested in snagging this unit, but not sure if there are reputable installers/techs out there to put it in. I'm not keen on doing something like this myself. Any big issues with the unit, or regret going with the AuCAR vs the Phoenix?

·
Premium Member
3,937 Posts
I am concerned about a touchscreen contolling the air, defrost, and heat. If anything goes wrong with that screen, you are stuck.

Reactions: tracetheory

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a good review of the unit.

A big plus is that you don't have to pull apart the steering column to install the cable for steering wheel controls like you do with the Mark 3 units that are out there.

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
166 Posts
More details on nav! Google maps and/or Apple maps functionality?

Concerned about sacrificing GPS nav for LTE/5G connection-based nav. Some remote scenarios that could be problematic. Maybe GPS-based nav is maintained in OS?

Does it need a mobile device hotspot connection for internet? I see Wi-fi disconnected in old firmware and connected in new firmware pics (why?).

Does it support airplay/casting from mobile devices?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More details on nav! Google maps and/or Apple maps functionality?

Concerned about sacrificing GPS nav for LTE/5G connection-based nav. Some remote scenarios that could be problematic. Maybe GPS-based nav is maintained in OS?

Does it need a mobile device hotspot connection for internet? I see Wi-fi disconnected in old firmware and connected in new firmware pics (why?).

Does it support airplay/casting from mobile devices?
I've only used Google maps and it works well. The unit comes with a GPS antenna. You can see it here at 10:46 in the install video.

You do need a hotspot for WiFi connection. I'm using my mobile phone for that. You can mirror or cast from your phone. My WiFi was actually connected in the 3rd picture. It's shown in white with the original firmware. The 4th picture shows WiFi off and it's grayed out. With Sergey's custom firmware, WiFi on is denoted with blue color.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to update you on an issue I've been having with the unit. The camera button doesn't work with my OEM 360 camera system. Cameras only work when shifting into reverse or drive but you can't manually activate the cameras with the hard button in the center console. Been going back and forth with AuCar engineers and they sent me a replacement unit that's doing the same thing. They're pretty baffled about it. They had me send them pictures of the OEM connectors, mainly the one responsible for the 360 system. They also had me send them a picture of the door sticker to make sure there's nothing different about my car model. Everything else with the unit works perfectly.

For those who have OEM 360 cameras, I would hold off on getting this unit until this bug is worked out. I guess it's like the Mark III when it first came out. Bugs eventually got fixed.

Lower OEM screen

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to update you on an issue I've been having with the unit. The camera button doesn't work with my OEM 360 camera system. Cameras only work when shifting into reverse or drive but you can't manually activate the cameras with the hard button in the center console. Been going back and forth with AuCar engineers and they sent me a replacement unit that's doing the same thing. They're pretty baffled about it. They had me send them pictures of the OEM connectors, mainly the one responsible for the 360 system. They also had me send them a picture of the door sticker to make sure there's nothing different about my car model. Everything else with the unit works perfectly.

For those who have OEM 360 cameras, I would hold off on getting this unit until this bug is worked out. I guess it's like the Mark III when it first came out. Bugs eventually got fixed.
I'm keen to know if this bug gets fixed. I've only just purchased a 2014 Q50 and already looking at replacing the InTouch system. I love the 360 camera system and I'd rather not lose that function.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it possible to use original cars GPS antenna, maybe there is harnes that allows that?
What for are external speaker and microphone?
I ordered my mark 5 from aucar few days ago, can't wait for it to arrive 😃

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Since it has a GPS antenna, you don’t have to hot spot your phone to use google maps, right? I don’t want to pay AT&T an extra $30 a month just so I can hot spot, and I don’t want to burn up my phones battery using maps on road trips either.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
83 Posts
I reached out to AuCar yesterday about the 360 cameras. My email and their reply is below.

Me:
"Hello,

I am reaching out per your website to inquire about your tesla screen for the infiniti q50. I have a 2018 q50 left hand drive with 360 factory cameras. Does this unit support the 360 cameras on this model year?"

AuCar:

"Thank you for reaching out.
Please hold it till we fix the 360 hard button software issue yet. We sold 3 to the states they reported a same issue with the 360 button, all of them have a 2018 LHD Q50 Redsport with factory 360 cameras.
I will let you know once this is fixed so you can proceed to order.

Thank you so much!"

They know about the issue and it looks like they are working to resolve it. Very quick response time from them and it seems that they are more interested in getting a quality product that works as expected out to me than just taking my cash and running.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
83 Posts
I have a noob question: what are the mic and speaker for? If I get the tesla screen, do I need the mic and phone attached to pick up my voice and hear phone calls (ie the factory mic and phone speakers will no longer be supported)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

I just installed the AuCAR Android Mark 5 Tesla style screen over the weekend. I picked up the system on Alibaba from AuCar. They also have a website but the price listed on the site is more than what I got it for going direct on Alibaba. Let's just say I got it for less than what a Mark 3 system normally costs. The sales rep, Emma Peng, has been very helpful and responsive and got me in touch with their engineer on Whatsapp in case I had any issues/questions. Shipping time was pretty fast considering it shipped from Hong Kong via DHL. It was shipped express which was included in the price she quoted me. They shipped it on 6/1 and I got it on 6/3. Processing time after payment was about 3 days. The install was pretty easy because I had previous experience taking apart interior pieces to install a JoyeAuto system which I didn't really like so I made the change to this. The hardest part which took the longest was trying to figure out where to route the mic, mini speaker, and GPS antenna. I'm lovin' the system so far. No major issues. It has voice recognition when you press the voice button on the steering wheel. You can tell it to open and close certain apps, play/pause/stop, and a list of other commands. I was surprised that I didn't need to open the steering column to install a cable for steering wheel controls like I've seen with the Mark 3. It's integrated with the Mark 5.

Here are some pics.

View attachment 100744

View attachment 100742

View attachment 100739

View attachment 100741

View attachment 100740
I recently just got my Mark 5 for my 2018 Infiniti Q60 red sport! For some reason I cannot turn my AC off. Anybody have the same problem?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts