Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Q50 Forum members,

I was living overseas and before recently returning to the US, I bought a 2016 Q50 RS400 AWD at Copart auction without seeing the vehicle or paying for an inspection ahead of time (I know... I'm foolish to say the least). It was listed as Salvage, but also as "Run & Drive" my high offer was only $8900, but after auction fees and transportation costs, I've got over $11,000 in it with under 8900 miles.

I heard from my friend it was shipped to that it had a dead battery and an engine knock. Unfortunately, the engine knock isn't the upper end but rather the lower end. I called several garages around Houston and we quoted various prices ranging from $2900 labor if I purchased a used engine up to ~8-10k if the Performance shop did a rebuild. I decided that a specialty shop, while adding a few performance parts was my best option. I also thought that keeping matching VIN #s was better than gambling on a used engine, so I had the car flatbed delivered to a shop in Cypress, TX (Houston MSA). After several weeks of talking to their machine shops, none of which had experience rebuilding this VR30DDTT engine they decided replacing was cheaper. With just a few performance parts, the quote had grown to $17k and given my investment already, I was not going to put nearly $30k in the car with a salvage title.

I've now sent the car to a salvage rebuilder in Tomball, TX that I bought a truck from who has told he can replace engines for $600 in labor only, seals, fluids, gaskets, etc. will be extra. I'm hoping someone in the forum can help me source a used engine and maybe even help me tear apart the knocking engine to see what is the problem. Some questions I have:

-Is it necessary to buy the AWD engine, or can I just swap the oil pan from my old engine?
-Are there any other swaps to be made to fit a RWD engine to the AWD car besides oil pan, like the flywheel?
-Is it better to find newer and/or lower mile non RS400 motor combined with my RS400 ECMs or stick with only a RS400 motor.... as there are not many of the RS400 out there?
-LKQ Auto Parts has ~35k mile engine assembly for <$5k, but that excludes turbos, intercoolers, belts, hoses, ECM, etc.... How much can I expect to be charged to swap this from my old motor to the replacement?
-There is a local salvage yard that has a 2018 Q60 RWD 300hp engine with low miles, they don't know condition and want $2900... can any recommend what tests I can do before buying if the engine isn't running?
-Is anyone in the Houston area aware of any suitable engines for me or able to meet me at the local salvage yard?

Thanks for reading my posts and I hope I can get this beautiful car running before too long without breaking the bank! I'm excited by how powerful it is and can become, while being such a sleeper!

Sincerely,
Logan Jordan
346 334 144zero

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone comment on if my 2016 Q50s RS400 AWD can accept an 2018 Q60 RWD 300hp version and what changes would be needed to accomplish this? I'm wanting to buy a complete engine rather than on from LKQ that is bare.

I assume oil pan swap is needed, anything on wiring harness, engine mounts, flywheel?

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Best of luck, Logan.

If you want to keep the car, replace the motor with a new one and don't put any performance parts on it.

400hp is enough and you don't want to spend another 15 to 20 to get a motor in it.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,691 Posts
Dude, I think I'd sell the car the way it is now. Better to take a 30% loss now than to spend who knows? (50-100% or more?) later. Whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Dude, I think I'd sell the car the way it is now. Better to take a 30% loss now than to spend who knows? (50-100% or more?) later. Whatever you decide, good luck.
I was thinking that as well, but it would be a very expensive lesson. I think his loss would be more like 60%.

Either way, he is in a bad spot.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Oh you in TX? Should have asked Scotty Kilmer for a rebuild quote!

Kidding aside, AMS might be able to help and upgrade the internals and other parts while they're at it. I know it won't be cheap but you'd be able ensure quality work IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,691 Posts
I was thinking that as well, but it would be a very expensive lesson. I think his loss would be more like 60%.

Either way, he is in a bad spot.

I hear you. But, it's a salvage and he's never even driven it. He needs to put in a new engine just then find out what else is wrong with it. I'm afraid it might be never ending!

I was dumb once and put a new $6k engine in a car that was worth maybe $3k - but I knew the rest of the car was good. That's not the case here.

Good luck OP!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Big delema. If the car has a low end knock something big caused it. This would concern me, as the abuse or lack of care, was not limited to just the motor. Lots of questions here. Miles? Accedent? History etc.
If you have room and can wrench, the car is worth a lot in parts. You could get your $ back.
I wouldn't put a dime into it w/o knowing a bunch more about the car.

You could call Concept Z and talk about building a "race car" out of it. Motor rebuild, turbos, standard transmission, LSD, etc. All it is is a donor/project car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts