1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Seems very biased to me.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
There's no point in publishing the comparison now... it's clear who the winner will be. I also wish they would remember that the steer-by-wire is an option and should consider testing the car without that option.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I haven't read or seen a valid in-depth review yet. And not one on the hydrid other than a mention. I really don't know if it's Infiniti's fault or the car reviewing mags. I've read countless reviews on cars there weren't even out yet, so why wouldn't Infiniti be giving these cars away to reviewers if they believe in it?

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Agreed 100%

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't read or seen a valid in-depth review yet. And not one on the hydrid other than a mention. I really don't know if it's Infiniti's fault or the car reviewing mags. I've read countless reviews on cars there weren't even out yet, so why wouldn't Infiniti be giving these cars away to reviewers if they believe in it?
They waste so much space talking about Q nomenclature and HOW the tech works that they never get to actual review content. I think it's probably a hard car to review. It's got a ton of world's first technology, and nobody wants to make a stand on it. They don't want to condemn it and hurt Infiniti unduly, but they don't want to praise it and be the one oddball publication that liked the new tech. Easier to be vague and see how things shake out over time.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Being vague and not criticizing Intouch is probably the best course of action when the system is still half-baked. I still believe the initial reviewers had a clause from Infiniti saying "you can drive this press car but we'll sue your pants off if you mention Intouch". So they dogged it for drive by wire instead, which was very undeserved from the test drives I took.

Anytime something is new and fundamentally different, there are always pundits who stand back and say "boy it sure could use a physical link with the front wheels" or "no manual transmission? NO BUY LOLOLOL", or "where are the buttons?" or...well, you get the picture. The only car which hasn't suffered this fate is the Tesla, because it has a halo of magic around it and Wall Street is in a serious love affair with Tesla Motors now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know Infiniti is trying hard to push the new drive-by-wire tech but they really need to start sending cars with the hydraulic steering out to the press. The Q50 being the last car(or one of) in it's segment with hydraulic steering would really get favorable reviews.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hmmm, nothing surprising about that review. I mean, people have been praising the ATS for its driving dynamics for quite some time and the issues/complaints about the Q50 across these car blog sites, if any, have been somewhat consistent.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I seriously considered the ATS For a while. I drove one and it was a nice drive but the lack of rear seat and trunk space killed it for me. I might have impulse purchased one a few months back if they had my color combo but I'm glad they didn't. I would have regretted the space issue though so I'm glad I waited for the Q. I'm willing to give up some slight performance (although in real world driving I wouldn't say there was a noticeable difference between the two) for great driving dynamics and more space. When it's all said and done, I need a sedan not a coupe and the ATS felt as small as a coupe to me. I literally got claustrophobic getting into the back seat.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I seriously considered the ATS For a while. I drove one and it was a nice drive but the lack of rear seat and trunk space killed it for me. I might have impulse purchased one a few months back if they had my color combo but I'm glad they didn't. I would have regretted the space issue though so I'm glad I waited for the Q. I'm willing to give up some slight performance (although in real world driving I wouldn't say there was a noticeable difference between the two) for great driving dynamics and more space. When it's all said and done, I need a sedan not a coupe and the ATS felt as small as a coupe to me. I literally got claustrophobic getting into the back seat.
You get many backseat passengers?

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
You get many backseat passengers?
That's personal Dan and I'll thank you to stay out of my affairs ;)

Not many but when I do, I get complaints in my G so I can only imagine what would happen with the ATS.

I would love to get the hybrid for the enhanced performance but, although I don't haul a ton of luggage all of the time, I couldn't get away with the smaller trunk.

Here's my exact rationale if you are interested. Warning, it's pretty boring :)

Right now, because of limited back space seating we end up taking my wife's Rx350 on longer trips because we often drive in-laws of one sort or another. That also means a handful of carry-ons in the trunk.

Thing is, I don't like driving her Lexus. Seating isn't right for me, no intelligent cruise, no tech, can't stand the infotainment system. But we need the extra space for backseat passenger comfort.

I have the ICC on my G and miss it in every long drive in her car. I also know that whatever car I get to replace the G will be loaded with the safety tech and I want to drive it - especially on those longer trips. That's what I'm paying all of that extra money for.

The larger backseat and useable trunk in the Q50, therefore, allows me to actually look forward to long drives instead of dreading them.

The ATS was the first car I considered with a lot of the same tech. I actually really like the idea of a HUD. Wish they offered it on the Q. Just the darn, limiting space. It's a trade off to make the car more throwable but not one I can live with unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I actually really like the idea of a HUD. Wish they offered it on the Q. Just the darn, limiting space. It's a trade off to make the car more throwable but not one I can live with unfortunately.
Unless you move up to the S-class category, most HUDs show car speed and navigation info. The center screen on the Q50 displays navigation directions and a host of other features. More than makes up for lack of HUD.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Unless you move up to the S-class category, most HUDs show car speed and navigation info. The center screen on the Q50 displays navigation directions and a host of other features. More than makes up for lack of HUD.
Agreed. Plus the HUD on the ATS isn't all that great. It's just nice to not have to take your eyes off the road at all. As a bit of a tech geek, it was just something that jumped out at me :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.