Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I read that last night and was so pissed about the lack of any comments on handling or performance numbers that I didn't even bother to post it. All they talked about was the tech. Didn't even bother to take pics of the car!

I guess two lackluster reviews is better than none...

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
It is filled with criticism of many things, and the rest is "left-handed" compliments. It read like a BMW employee wrote it. However, in case you don't feel like reading the whole thing, this paragraph is a possible warning(until you get used to things): :(

As if to underscore that electronics are running the show, the Q50's InTouch system boasts two large touch screens. The top screen is a conventional navigation, climate, and audio display controlled by a center console knob or your fingertip. The lower screen, touch-operated only, presents a confusing array of programmable features and is where you can fine-tune the various driver-assistance systems. A center console toggle enables you to quickly select from among your pre-programmed setups. Try as we might, we couldn't finger tap or swipe our way to a submenu that allowed us to silence the loud horn when we locked the car with the key fob. It might be there, but good luck finding it. That said, InTouch is easier to use than Cadillac's CUE system.

Read more: 2014 Infiniti Q50 First Drive - Automobile Magazine

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
There was really not anything outright negative about the article, but they didn't provide much of an impression of the car besides the steering comments, and those were somewhat brief. The thought if they had really drove the car crossed my mind too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This garbed my attention:

In theory, steer-by-wire technology allows engineers to infinitely fine-tune the steering, and Infiniti product planners hint that a special Vettel-tuned performance package might be in the works. Given his efforts in tuning Direct Adaptive Steering so far, perhaps Seb should stick to F1 garages, because in its current iteration, the steering feels artificial, disconnected, and even unpredictable. With the driver aids off, the Q50 has the light, non-communicative steering we see so often these days. It's likely nothing that an owner won't get used to, but it feels downright weird at first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Automobilemag.com Test Drives the Infiniti Q50

Whatever else the Infiniti Q50 is, it will be known for being one of the first cars that you can drive nearly autonomously. It is actually possible to drive the Infiniti Q50 for miles of highway with putting a hand on the steering wheel, or a foot on a pedal. Beyond its self-driving technology, the Infiniti Q50 "is not so much an all-new sport sedan as a re-bodied and refreshed G37."

No manual transmission will be offered on the Infiniti Q50 (even though you can get it in the BMW 3-Series and the Audi A4.) The city/highway/combined EPA fuel economy on the standard model is 20/30/23 mpg, and 29/36/31 mpg for the hybrid version. All models will have all-wheel drive optional.

The Q50 is slightly lower and longer than its G37 predecessor, while also gaining about 2" in width. all-LED lighting is featured at the front end, and mostly-LED lighting is featured at the rear.

The cabin has gained 3 cubic feet, giving some more head and shoulder room in the front seat. The back seat could get cramped for tall folks. Two large touchscreens control the InTouch system. These give you access to navigation, climate, audio display, and driver-assistance systems.

The Infiniti Q50 will start at $39,405, with a price that rises quickly as you add options. A fully optioned Infiniti Sport 3.7 AWD will set you back $53,605.

Full story here:
2014 Infiniti Q50 First Drive - Automobile Magazine

·
Registered
60 Posts
I second that opinion, it appears that they sat in the car and played with intouch for a while but not rreally had a chance to drive to perform a realistic assesment on the handling of the car. Appears that Edmunds did so, that is my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
There was really not anything outright negative about the article, but they didn't provide much of an impression of the car besides the steering comments, and those were somewhat brief. The thought if they had really drove the car crossed my mind too.
I could get more insight and a better article by reading what Aggie is writing up. One, because he got to spend time with it, and two, because I know he actually drove one. It wouldn't surprise me if the two articles released were unofficial test drive reviews, especially since they didn't even have photographs. It's not hard to drag a photographer out to your testing grounds, and it's the professional thing to do. At this point, I consider this review little better than a random blogger posting a 5 minute test drive impression. I'll wait til the majors chime in with full spreads and a variety of models and option sets.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Videos don't say it all bro! Haha, I was laughing at the mustache sales guy fumbling around with the controls. He was playing with it to learn but talking like he already knew it. Feel sorry for the guy.

They really, REALLY need to have Intouch as a standalone kiosk at the dealership so all the sales people can figure it out. It is new, and although it is intuitive, it does so much and is so different than what they already know, they need hours to play with it. I've seen the Flash thing online and I think that's part of their intent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
...it appears that they sat in the car and played with intouch for a while but not rreally had a chance to drive to perform a realistic assesment on the handling of the car...
"The heavy/quick setting felt like the proverbial wet cement," said executive editor Todd Lassa after driving the Q50 home, "and in the light-feel/casual setting, it is overboosted and binds up all too easily if you give it quick, big inputs."

The comments sound pretty specific to me. I don't know how you figure out those handling and steering characteristics by playing with intouch? I respect "Automobile Magazine" a lot and educated observations like these are what I have been waiting for and what I have been worried about with such a new technology.

It is a first drive, not a full test, and that is why they labeled it as such.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
99% of people will use the middle setting or customize it, I never imagined the light or heavy settings would seem good to anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I want mine to be custom. I want granny steering in parking lots (and small radius, I really hate wide turn circles on wide enough streets), medium effort between 30-50, and tight, heavy, small radius at highway speed to dodge millions of blown semi tires. That's the point of speed sensitive steering. I don't think I'll have a problem getting it to where I want it.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I want mine to be custom. I want granny steering in parking lots (and small radius, I really hate wide turn circles on wide enough streets), medium effort between 30-50, and tight, heavy, small radius at highway speed to dodge millions of blown semi tires. That's the point of speed sensitive steering. I don't think I'll have a problem getting it to where I want it.
Can you do that? I think the custome setting is the same all the time unless you change it.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Can you do that? I think the custome setting is the same all the time unless you change it.
I don't think so. I think the custom setting is just to set it between light and heavy and medium...I don';t think you can set it for different speeds to do different things. Would be cool though!

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I don't think so. I think the custom setting is just to set it between light and heavy and medium...I don';t think you can set it for different speeds to do different things. Would be cool though!
Well, I know you can set it for radius and for effort, so you can get a high effort large radius, low effort small radius, whatever. Can you fully customize it how I want...well...we'll see. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.